ramjet
Contributor

Re: These stupid trucks are literally killing us

Post by ramjet »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:35 am
DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:15 am
ousdahl wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:26 am ^^^

this is the TRUCKS thread.

Speaking off, what's the word on this Rivian things?
Saw an R1S in the drop off line at kid's school.

Surprisingly good looking in person.
The front light housing is too BATTLESTAR GALACTICA for me, but ymmv.
Wife and I both drive GMC SUVs, me a Yukon Denali XL, she an Acadia. Recently had to replace one headlight assembly in the Acadia - 2000 fvcking dollars! I wonder how much the new lighting assemblies will cost as the designers go crazy with all the new set ups...
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

This is why I like old trucks. I can work on them myself, parts are reasonable. Lots of times I can got to the junkyard and pull the part I need.

These new computer cars are not user friendly, repair/maintenance friendly. You need a damn computer to diagnose anything and specialty one of a kind parts to fit anything....nothing is universal anymore.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

oh and I dont need my truck to talk me t Id prefer it shut its dumb ass up and just do what I say to do when the wheel is turned or a pedal pushed. I dont need my machines thinking for me or trying to outwit the driver.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:50 am oh and I dont need my truck to talk me t Id prefer it shut its dumb ass up and just do what I say to do when the wheel is turned or a pedal pushed. I dont need my machines thinking for me or trying to outwit the driver.
I dunno, man. I find that adaptive cruise control and other semi-autonomous functionality are enormously helpful. And not once has my car tried to kill me.

I will also never again buy a car without a head-up display. Game changer.
ramjet
Contributor

Post by ramjet »

Yup, agree. I'm an old gearhead and love the old stuff. Unfortunately, the wife drives a lot of miles in eastern Colorado and western Kansas for work and I need to keep her safe in low milage vehicles - so far so good
ramjet
Contributor

Post by ramjet »

Agree Fish on the HUD, but gotta use non polarized sun glasses so the display doesn't wash out - at least on both of my GMCs
shindig

Post by shindig »

ramjet wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:40 am
jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:35 am
DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:15 am

Saw an R1S in the drop off line at kid's school.

Surprisingly good looking in person.
The front light housing is too BATTLESTAR GALACTICA for me, but ymmv.
Wife and I both drive GMC SUVs, me a Yukon Denali XL, she an Acadia. Recently had to replace one headlight assembly in the Acadia - 2000 fvcking dollars! I wonder how much the new lighting assemblies will cost as the designers go crazy with all the new set ups...
Yes it is crazy. Last Summer, this dude backed into the front of my Audi A4. He acted like it was nothing, but I insisted on his insurance. I took it to the dealer and it was $4k to replace the headlight unit and re-paint the front bumper assembly because it had a minor scrape from his bumper. We exchanged phone numbers and the guy called me and cussed me out saying I was taking advantage of him...lol. I was like, dude, you fvcked up, hit my car now deal with it.
Last edited by shindig on Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

damn!

had to replace the headlight on my Taco a while back.

the new bulb was like $8 bucks, and the whole replacement was enough to do in like 2 minutes, before even leaving the parking lot of the Auto Zone.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

TDub wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:48 am This is why I like old trucks. I can work on them myself, parts are reasonable. Lots of times I can got to the junkyard and pull the part I need.

These new computer cars are not user friendly, repair/maintenance friendly. You need a damn computer to diagnose anything and specialty one of a kind parts to fit anything....nothing is universal anymore.
and special tools

no longer will a wrench and socket set get the job done
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:03 am
TDub wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:48 am This is why I like old trucks. I can work on them myself, parts are reasonable. Lots of times I can got to the junkyard and pull the part I need.

and special tools

And that's not an accident. They know exactly what they are doing.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

and special tools

exactly why most mechanics won't work on BMWs. BMW (and others now im sure) uses a proprietary bolt head size that requires you to buy a proprietary BMW wrench/ratchet set at extraordinarily high cost. Normal metric/standard wrench sets will not fit their bolts. Its fucking dumb.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:54 am
TDub wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:50 am oh and I dont need my truck to talk me t Id prefer it shut its dumb ass up and just do what I say to do when the wheel is turned or a pedal pushed. I dont need my machines thinking for me or trying to outwit the driver.
I dunno, man. I find that adaptive cruise control and other semi-autonomous functionality are enormously helpful. And not once has my car tried to kill me.

I will also never again buy a car without a head-up display. Game changer.
thats fine. do what you will. I have no issue with you enjoying those things. I have an issue with it being the only option.

Like nearly everything in life my stance is pretty easy. Do whatever the fuck you wanna do that makes you happy. But, don't require me to live that same way or enjoy those same things.....and don't overvalue your preferences and allow those preferences to be requirements for all.

I really don't give a damn what anybody else wants to do or enjoys....I say go for it. Just don't tell me that I also have to do those exact things and enjoy them.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:04 am

and special tools

exactly why most mechanics won't work on BMWs. BMW (and others now im sure) uses a proprietary bolt head size that requires you to buy a proprietary BMW wrench/ratchet set at extraordinarily high cost. Normal metric/standard wrench sets will not fit their bolts. Its fucking dumb.
…isn’t bmw also the ones doing things like, requiring you to buy a subscription to use your seat warmers?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:36 pm
and special tools

…isn’t bmw also the ones doing things like, requiring you to buy a subscription to use your seat warmers?
Mercedes was in the news for it, but I'd imagine BMW is doing it as well.

Ford wants its self-drivers to be able to drive themselves back to the dealer if you fall behind on your payments.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:30 pm
ousdahl wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:36 pm

Mercedes was in the news for it, but I'd imagine BMW is doing it as well.

Ford wants its self-drivers to be able to drive themselves back to the dealer if you fall behind on your payments.
someone.....tesla maybe? was supposedly in talks to make their vehicles accessible to law enforcement to remotely disable the vehicle. Fuck all that.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

who wants to live in a world where you can’t run from the po po?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

you have to have more trust in law enforcement than I do to make that reasonable. Land of the free indeed
Just Ledoux it
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Weird. To me it is transportation. I don’t go for that freedom, big dick, shtick they sell. I own a car that is probably less than a pair of Denali headlights. It doesn’t drive itself. But I don’t think we need more cars without drivers; we need more drivers without cars. Both of my houses are within walking distance of public transportation.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

nm
Last edited by DCHawk1 on Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Is this post from 1987?