These stupid trucks are literally killing us

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 863

Re: These stupid trucks are literally killing us

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:28 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:25 am springfield is the home of the Alamo Bar. my favorite bar in springfield.
wait, that movie theater/bar joint?

cuz yea, I'd totally be down to sip a Coors lite while enjoying Cocaine Bear

tho I don't really wanna have to go all the way to southern Illinois to do so.
Geography is definitely not your thing.

Add that to the list with global policy, basketball, and anything work related.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:30 am
pdub wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:25 am OK, so a city with a population barely larger than Lawrence.
But 200 times smaller than NYC.
So you know how it is.
I know why I don't live in Chicago. I don't like congestion.

I know efficiency and livability are issues. I also know banning SUVs amd trucks, which in the grand scheme of things aren't significantly bigger than other vehicles, would accomplish very little to improve congestion.

Just ban personal vehicles completely. The sizes are all similar. It'd be good for the environment too.
I'd argue that in one of these zones ( however many you'd have ) that personal vehicles would be banned ( and just to knock this hard against your skull -- this does not mean banning you from buying that vehicle -- just from driving it in this area of the city ). I'd consider banning personal vehicles from say, 48th to 32nd inbetween 8th and 6th aves in Manhattan.

You could take a cab if you really wanted but even better would be taking a bus or subway.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:31 am Image
there you have it. it took 4 pages. but we got to the heart of the matter.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

oh shit mich, sorry if I just doxxed you
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:36 am
pdub wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:25 am OK, so a city with a population barely larger than Lawrence.
But 200 times smaller than NYC.
So you know how it is.

I know efficiency and livability are issues. I also know banning SUVs amd trucks, which in the grand scheme of things aren't significantly bigger than other vehicles, would accomplish very little to improve congestion.

Just ban personal vehicles completely. The sizes are all similar. It'd be good for the environment too.
I'd argue that in one of these zones ( however many you'd have ) that personal vehicles would be banned ( and just to knock this hard against your skull -- this does not mean banning you from buying that vehicle -- just from driving it in this area of the city ). I'd consider banning personal vehicles from say, 48th to 32nd inbetween 8th and 6th aves in Manhattan.

You could take a cab if you really wanted but even better would be taking a bus or subway.
So you'd replace all the personal vehicles with cabs?

I think banning personal vehicles and having buses or subways would be ideal for what you're trying to accomplish in certain areas.
Deleted User 863

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:38 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:31 am Image
there you have it. it took 4 pages. but we got to the heart of the matter.
We always do.

In every thread.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Don't lump me in with ousdahl.
I say go for owning a huge truck or SUV in 99% of the livable space in the USA.
If you're driving a huge truck just because you like how it looks and feels and don't actually use it for anything truck related then I still am allowed to think you're kind of an asshole but you do you.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:40 am
pdub wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:36 am

So you'd replace all the personal vehicles with cabs?

I think banning personal vehicles and having buses or subways would be ideal for what you're trying to accomplish in certain areas.
There would be much fewer vehicles on the roads even with cabs allowed, yes, because more people would just 'bite the bullet' and join most of the population on public transport which would then be able to run more efficiently.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:23 am and Mass St for Final Fours. (if you think I think a place like Lawrence, KS should design their entire downtown corridor to be pedestrian-only for the entire year just in anticipation of the next Final Four, yea you're right)
i (and many others) have been advocating for this for ~20 years, regardless of basketball
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I like the theory of a permanent pedestrian only zone in a place like Lawrence but it really isn't necessary and I think would, long run, hurt businesses somewhat.

But I do like closing it down for certain events.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:50 am I like the theory of a permanent pedestrian only zone in a place like Lawrence but it really isn't necessary and I think would, long run, hurt businesses somewhat.

well, it’s not like most businesses last more than a few years on Mass anyway
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:26 am
pdub wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:50 am I like the theory of a permanent pedestrian only zone in a place like Lawrence but it really isn't necessary and I think would, long run, hurt businesses somewhat.

Ha.
True.
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:27 am
KUTradition wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:26 am

Ha.
True.
Always surprises me.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

how might a pedestrian zone hurt businesses?

I guess if one might have to walk a little further, they may be less likely to wanna go in the first place, or to wanna carry merchandise a little further too?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Correct.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

maybe.

though maybe it would create opportunities for new businesses yet

like rickshaws!

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Massachusetts was all pedestrian for a while when they built up the parking curbs and put in the green spaces and water fountains. You could park behind the businesses (we called them all "stores"), or on New Hampshire and Vermont. It could be done that way again like La Cantera in San Antonio. It would not impact the bottom line at all. They could also bring back an electric street trolley. I would like to hear the barber shop quartets serenade the shoppers. Then we can celebrate the Helms trophies with woolen uniforms and a simulated Hoch Auditorium.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

these days it’s buskers instead of barbershop quartets
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:02 am
My penis is still small either way.
damn illy, quoting as a placeholder cuz this might end up even more sig material
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Lots of places have pedestrian only streets.
I like it.

Leavenworth Washington is an absolutely amazing town, tourist heavy, with about 8 square blocks mostly free of vehicles