These stupid trucks are literally killing us

Coffee talk.
MICHHAWK

Re: These stupid trucks are literally killing us

Post by MICHHAWK »

Mackinac Island is free of vehicles. they make it work in their favor for sure.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Hmm. Didn't know this would get much banter.
Since it looks like most of you did not have 30 minutes to watch the video [completely understandable since that is a big chunk of time], I will share what I recall the main takeaways being.

Some interesting videos of dummies getting hit with the front of sedan-type vehicles (survivable) vs big pickups (more deadly)
Big truck drivers are assholes (with a funny study testing it)
Americans, more than others, have been buying more and bigger trucks and SUVs
The reason for that is car company lobbies and taxes so this loop hole needs closed
The idea that the big vehicles influence other buyers to need to also buy big to stay safe
Last edited by DrPepper on Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I also recall his good point that workers that really need to haul stuff around town/cities use vans/lorries. Like plumbers, painters, etc.
I did not think he had an issue with people who actually used their trucks to haul stuff.
I also recall the graphics comparing how the size of the truck bed has been shrinking over time (since the urban owners are hardly using them anyway) and getting taller (which is impractical for most).
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

beds getting smaller while cabins are getting bigger
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

And another one:
Since part of safety in a crash involves momentum,
and momentum = mass x velocity,
then big-ass heavy vehicles should drive more slowly.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

DrPepper wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:29 pm And another one:
Since part of safety in a crash involves momentum,
and momentum = mass x velocity,
then big-ass heavy vehicles should drive more slowly.
Yet, they are the ones 8” off the back bumper of the car in front of them at 75 mph
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I think people focus too much on the small percentage of assholes.

A huge percentage of people here drive trucks. Probably 90ish% + of them here use them as trucks. Maybe 10% of them drive like assholes.
Just Ledoux it
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Most research shows that something like 70% of the people who drive trucks don't need them, or almost never need them, most people use them like sedans.

And if you do need one, I'm not sure why you'd defend all the people buying them unnecessarily, the demand drives up the cost for the people who do need them. I forget the numbers, the profit margins (both percentage-wise and total dollars) on trucks are much higher than for cars.

Given the large number of people for whom, a truck means a job, most of which are poor. I'd rather they could obtain one than the guy with the tiny dick, who's probably also going to back in to his parking spot.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

I don't care what kind of vehicles other people choose to drive, within reason.

I mostly just worry about myself and what I want to drive.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Also, I was looking at pickups a few years ago when I was building a garage and had a few other projects. I couldn't find a basic, stripped down truck. They all had 11 seats, and each one was heated, and had a tv screen and blue tooth.

What I wanted was a big bed (hard to find), 4WD, some towing capabilities, a working radio, and maybe...maybe a functioning A/C....and nothing else. I didn't want 4 doors and extra seats, I didn't want leather interior. I wanted it to be ugly, so I could call it something like Old Brown, I wanted it to smell like saw dust mixed with a hint of sweaty ballsack.

I couldn't find one...this was at the peak of when used car prices were as high as new and most car lots were pretty scarce...but still.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

I drive a pickup even though I'm a dainty white-collar type.

But like I said, Creamcheese has horses. And her GTI won't pull the trailer.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 863

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:48 pm Also, I was looking at pickups a few years ago when I was building a garage and had a few other projects. I couldn't find a basic, stripped down truck. They all had 11 seats, and each one was heated, and had a tv screen and blue tooth.

What I wanted was a big bed (hard to find), 4WD, some towing capabilities, a working radio, and maybe...maybe a functioning A/C....and nothing else. I didn't want 4 doors and extra seats, I didn't want leather interior. I wanted it to be ugly, so I could call it something like Old Brown, I wanted it to smell like saw dust mixed with a hint of sweaty ballsack.

I couldn't find one...this was at the peak of when used car prices were as high as new and most car lots were pretty scarce...but still.
That is was basically my father in laws wishes last year. He had to go all the way to Montana to find a new truck that didn't have many bells and whistles.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:32 pm I'd rather they could obtain one than the guy with the tiny dick, who's probably also going to back in to his parking spot.
I do not disagree on the tiny dick assessment.

But, backing into a spot is actually the easiest way to get that monster truck into a parking spot.

Even with my Gladiator, and my massive cock, it is easier to maneuver into that spot with the trailing tires as the steering tires…like a forklift
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

so when a Jeep guy says it's easier to back into a spot, I assume he means he's parking like this?

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:48 pm Also, I was looking at pickups a few years ago when I was building a garage and had a few other projects. I couldn't find a basic, stripped down truck. They all had 11 seats, and each one was heated, and had a tv screen and blue tooth.

try the Ram Tradesman. or check fleet vehicles.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:32 pm Most research shows that something like 70% of the people who drive trucks don't need them, or almost never need them, most people use them like sedans.

And if you do need one, I'm not sure why you'd defend all the people buying them unnecessarily, the demand drives up the cost for the people who do need them. I forget the numbers, the profit margins (both percentage-wise and total dollars) on trucks are much higher than for cars.

Given the large number of people for whom, a truck means a job, most of which are poor. I'd rather they could obtain one than the guy with the tiny dick, who's probably also going to back in to his parking spot.
I defend it because why do I care to control what someone else buys or drives? Thats not my call. Nor should it be someone else's call to determine whether or not I drive a sedan, a truck, or a scooter or choose to drive it downtown.

I use my truck everyday as a truck. But, even if I didnt, I might still have one, I like the way they drive, theyre handy as shit when you DO need it, however rarely that might be for some, and, where I live the 4 wheel drive is pretty dang handy.....(which I realize isn't a truck specific feature but...still.)
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

Overlander wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:38 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:32 pm I'd rather they could obtain one than the guy with the tiny dick, who's probably also going to back in to his parking spot.

But, backing into a spot is actually the easiest way to get that monster truck into a parking spot.

Even with my Gladiator, and my massive cock, it is easier to maneuver into that spot with the trailing tires as the steering tires…like a forklift
🤣🤣🤣
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I've talked about this, but full disclosure:

I drive a truck too.

It's a midsize truck tho fwiw, a Tacoma. I'd absolutely want something smaller and more efficient and more easily maneuverable if I lived in the city. And maybe even in the burbs too.

But, in the mountains...if 4wd isn't an absolute necessity, it sure is a huge advantage. High clearance too. Several times a winter, in stuff that would otherwise get a non-truck stuck, I'm able to simply drive out. (knock on wood). In the warmer months, I'm able to get up forest roads that are difficult/impossible to drive otherwise. (I used to have a CRV and def bottomed out that shit a few times, but the Taco has far fewer if any such issues.)

I towed trailers with a bunch of OHVs from Denver all the way up Guanella pass with confidence. At least once a fall, I fill the bed with firewood. And on a clear summer night of camping, I'll not even bother with the tent, and just lay in the bed under the stars.

But with all that said, I still think about downsizing. I can get close to 30mpg cruising on mountain highways. But, while that's good for a truck, it's still not great, especially considering driving around town can be like half the mileage. And even a mid-size truck sometimes feels too big around town roads and parking lots. It's so much easier to just slip a CRV-size vehicle around.

Plus, I realize things like driving up forest roads are less necessities and more lifestyle choices, and privileged ones at that. And I'm too ideological, and/or just too Catholic, to not get a little guilty and wonder if I should just ride my bike and take public transit everywhere instead.

Also, maybe the most privileged lifestyle choice and best part of all: it's a manual. While most of you roibois prefer the ease of an automatic, I'm still among those who get great joy working pedals with both feet. Taco is/was one of the only vehicles at all you can still get with a stick, let alone one of the only trucks.

also also, holy shit, I can't believe I got through this entire post without making a single comment about penises.
Deleted User 863

Hello there moral high ground!
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Overlander wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:38 pm

even better most forklifts are 4 wheel turning (except warehouse lifts). zyoi can even crab walk that bitch.....

but...No Lebron...we dont need to crab walk our SUVs
Just Ledoux it