March Madness 23

Kansas Basketball.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: March Madness 23

Post by KUTradition »

uconn just seems like they’ve lucked into their titles

calhoun was a good/great coach, but there’s a reason he’s often mentioned as second (if not 3rd) tier.
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

KUTradition wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:19 pm uconn just seems like they’ve lucked into their titles

calhoun was a good/great coach, but there’s a reason he’s often mentioned as second (if not 3rd) tier.
Not this year. They've crushed everyone -- and looked like could crush anyone.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

they've had 4 totally broken brackets....and 1 great team.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Caitlin Clark already raining buckets
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

KUTradition wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:47 pm Caitlin Clark already raining buckets
Carson (off the bench) says....

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:39 pm they've had 4 totally broken brackets....and 1 great team.
You'd think that last year's KU title would get KU fans to worry less about the "validity" of a title that happens when the bracket goes haywire.

We are only going to continue to see the volume of HS recruits who can develop into contributing players at the ncaa level increase and we will continue to see more coaches utilizing resources and plays that they have more access to. I think the extra covid year was partially to blame with the overall strength of the "others" in the sport so I think this year is a bit of an anomaly, but I do think we'll see the average number of top 4 seeds that make an Elite Eight start to trend downwards over the next 10 years or so. "Broken brackets" is going to be more of the norm rather than the exception.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The selection commitee needs to replaced by a seeding computer. But that would stop the made for TV hype of selection Sunday. UConn was clearly playing at the top of most metrics going into the tournament and got a real scheduling break.

The Big 12 post season tournament gave the committee an excuse to push KU into the west despite all of the wins over top opponents. And they penalized KU for playing so many by pointing to losses. The busted brackets had a lot to do with preparation. Get a tough opponent for the the first weekend and you are lucky to survive. KU could have used Friday and Sunday scheduling after the grueling tournament. But played early Thursday.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

UConn was top 4 in both Kenpom and Barttorvik before the NCAA tournament began.

They were 1 of 4 teams in the nation that were top 20 in both AdjO and AdjD ( the others were Houston, Bama and Texas - so 2 1 seeds and maybe a team that deserved a 1 seed ).

They were top 10 in Offensive Efficiency.
Top 30 in EFG% and TS%.

Really under seeded.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

They also looked really good early in the year. They were ranked in the top 2 or 3 at the end of the non-con.

It just sucks from the standpoint that we are perennially a contender and UConn is only occasionally even in the conversation, like once every 3-4 years post-Calhoun (they were contenders about 2/3 of the time under Calhoun...but still) and yet they have as much NCAA champ hardware to show for it.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Which brings up the question, they win tonight do they get in the Blue Blood convo?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I don't think so for most college basketball fans.

I think most view them as something like a statistical anomaly.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

5 Titles in the last 25 years is pretty remarkable. It's closer than I want to believe.

However, they are still like 25th for total wins. Think you need to be top 10 in wins and good tournament success to be considered a blue blood.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:15 pm 5 Titles in the last 25 years is pretty remarkable. It's closer than I want to believe.

However, they are still like 25th for total wins. Think you need to be top 10 in wins and good tournament success to be considered a blue blood.
Yeah but their win % is better than at least 10 of those 24 that are ahead of them in total wins.
Frankly I don't care if they are considered a blue blood or not but I do feel they deserve a lot of praise for their 4 (possibly 5 after tonight) championships since 1999.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:48 pm They also looked really good early in the year. They were ranked in the top 2 or 3 at the end of the non-con.

It just sucks from the standpoint that we are perennially a contender and UConn is only occasionally even in the conversation, like once every 3-4 years post-Calhoun (they were contenders about 2/3 of the time under Calhoun...but still) and yet they have as much NCAA champ hardware to show for it.
yes...this is what I was trying to get at...
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:50 pm I don't think so for most college basketball fans.

I think most view them as something like a statistical anomaly.
^^^
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Is anybody else’s natty game feed all choppy?
ArgentineHawk

Post by ArgentineHawk »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:25 pm Is anybody else’s natty game feed all choppy?
Not mine.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Grab cutters. Grab on rebounds. Get away with everything. And flop flop flop. I hate this SDSU team. And refs.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:25 pm Is anybody else’s natty game feed all choppy?
yes....

but that could be the weather....

got 6 inches of snow today....now it's all melting all at once because it went from 27 to 45 and sunny in less than an hour and now we got lighting with a thunderstorm rolling in....supposed to rain hard for 6-8 hrs....then maybe snow again after 3am....fun....
Just Ledoux it
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

UConn is really good