Norm Roberts appreciation thread

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Re: Norm Roberts appreciation thread

Post by Deleted User 863 »

randylahey wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:18 pm This season wasn't "anyone's fault"

The ceiling of this team just wasn't that high.

Only at kansas can you win 28 games, win the toughest conference in the country, win a tourney game, lose a close second round game, during a rebuilding season coming off a national title, and have fans see it as a disappointment
The only thing I am disappointed in are people like PDub taking shots at Norm.

"Nah fam"

That's punk shit. But, not surprising. Pdub has been shitting on KU all year. He's taking his victory laps.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I’m perfectly calm dude.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

randylahey wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:15 pm
pdub wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:08 pm What else is Self supposed to say?
Guy is humble as hell, he knows how to be a coach off the court too.

This is coming from a guy who thinks Scott Drew is the second coming of Phog Allen.
Phog Allen was statically KU's worst coach of all time. All I've ever said was Scott drew is "good" and gonna end up in the hall of fame. Both of true. Not my fault some of yall are dumb enough to argue against the basics
No. Naismith was. Phog Allen created the modern game and NCAA tournament. For his work, KU usually gets a rough draw.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I’m allowed to call out his coaching in this game.

I think we had poor plays coming out of a couple stoppages and didn’t make adjustments when they made their run.

There wasn’t anything creative that got us easy baskets in that stretch. I think we could have changed our defense to a full press or a zone. Something.

I also feel Bill Self is good at in game adjustments. One of the better coaches. So yea, it’s a nah fam.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Pdub needs to sleep this one off lol. Norm did fine. Self has lost tough games too. At the end of the day, self has scored zero points in twenty seasons at KU. Hes a goat of a coach, but sometimes the players on the other team make plays and we don't. Doesnt matter what you plays you draw up. Shit happens
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I thought Norm was too passive to get the best out of this team. Nobody thought he would coach crucial games this year.
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:24 pm I’m allowed to call out his coaching in this game.

I think we had poor plays coming out of a couple stoppages and didn’t make adjustments when they made their run.

There wasn’t anything creative that got us easy baskets in that stretch. I think we could have changed our defense to a full press or a zone. Something.
We did change defenses. Multiple times.

We ran a creative play to get KJ a dunk with a min or so left and he mishandled the pass.

Stick to box scores. Your actual analysis isn't exactly Jay Bilas quality.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I dunno, I find it pretty incredible that posters don’t think Bill Self makes a difference in game and are downplaying his importance on the court.

I think he is waaaaaay more important than what’s being implied.

Once again, Randy and illy vs 30 D1 college coaches:

“The Athletic asked more than 30 sitting Division I men’s coaches whom they’d pick to coach a good team — not necessarily their team, just a generically good team — in a must-win game. The results were conclusive. Kansas coach Bill Self is the country’s coach of choice.”
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:27 pm I dunno, I find it pretty incredible that posters don’t think Bill Self makes a difference in game and are downplaying his importance on the court.

As usual, NOBODY is downplaying that.

But the vast majority of the benefits Self has are not during the 40min game. It's in preparation and player development. Recruiting. Etc. Not in play calling. This isn't football.

Norm and Self know the same plays. Norm has been coaching with Self for 3 decades. He knows what to call and when. We ran the same plays we would have run with Self.

And again, don't like the plays called tonight? Blame Self, not Norm. Self was the coach unable to fulfill his obligations.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

We needed more Bobby Knight and less Fred Rogers tonight.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Once again:

The Athletic asked more than 30 sitting Division I men’s coaches whom they’d pick to coach a good team — not necessarily their team, just a generically good team — in a must-win game. The results were conclusive. Kansas coach Bill Self is the country’s coach of choice.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The same coach pointed to the 2022 national championship game as the epitome of Self’s poise and presence during games; with the Jayhawks trailing by 15 at halftime, he convinced his players they were in better shape than they truly were. Beyond the mind games, though, there’s a thread of envy among Self’s peers over his knack of dialing up successful schemes after timeouts. “An ATO scoring machine,” one power conference voter said.
“Out of timeouts, what the dude runs, and what they get?” a power-conference coach said. “Zone offense — the lob plays that sucker has? I mean, it’s impressive, man.”
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

pdub wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:27 pm I dunno, I find it pretty incredible that posters don’t think Bill Self makes a difference in game and are downplaying his importance on the court.

Once again, Randy and illy vs 30 D1 college coaches:

“The Athletic asked more than 30 sitting Division I men’s coaches whom they’d pick to coach a good team — not necessarily their team, just a generically good team — in a must-win game. The results were conclusive. Kansas coach Bill Self is the country’s coach of choice.”
We even had a thread earlier this year about Self's genius in close games. And yet here is a dead straw horse Illy arguing the opposite.
Deleted User 863

Yes. Bill Self is the best head coach in the country.

Norm Roberts was nice enough to do Self's job for 25% of the season. While Self was suspended for buying players. And then when Self was unable to coach due to his poor health.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:31 pm
pdub wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:27 pm
And again, don't like the plays called tonight? Blame Self, not Norm. Self was the coach unable to fulfill his obligations.
Simien 03. Joel Embiid 14. Udoka 19..

They all blew it.
Deleted User 863

Nah fam
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:35 pm Yes. Bill Self is the best head coach in the country.

Norm Roberts was nice enough to do Self's job for 25% of the season. While Self was suspended for buying players. And then when Self was unable to coach due to his poor health.
He suspended himself.
We played Southern Utah, North Dakota and Omaha.
Duke was legit good though.
Deleted User 863

Nah fam
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

This would be similar, to me, if Dajuan couldn’t play the second half and randy and co shat all over Bobby who was clearly over his head.

I don’t think Norm was up to the task and Self, being a great in game coach, would have made the adjustments and calls to win us this game.

Two of you don’t and are telling people to jump out of buildings and to fuck themselves.
Deleted User 863

I didn't see anyone tell you to go fuck yourself, but you should.