Norm Roberts appreciation thread

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Norm Roberts appreciation thread

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Very lucky to have a guy like him to step in for Self.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wibw.c ... utType=amp

"DES MOINES, IA. (WIBW) - The players have put it that Bill Self is more animated in the locker room, but Norm Roberts’ pregame speeches are like no other.

Kevin McCullar Jr. put it as, “they get us turnt up,” or Gradey Dick said, “He makes you want to run through a brick wall.”

As the Round of 32 looms, what is it, or why do Roberts’ speeches fire up the team so much?

“He’s very passionate about winning and that’s just something about our culture. We all come here to win, that’s why we come to Kansas and he’s a great representation of what it is to represent the coaching here and culture,” Kansas Forward Jalen Wilson said."

His motivational speeches end up making you cry or something, he gets us going, gets our blood going, he does everything right, that’s what you’re supposed to do as an assistant,” Kansas Guard Dajuan Harris Jr. said. “Coach Self trusts him a lot and we have to trust him because he’s been doing it a long time.”

“His motivational speeches are probably one thing he’s always 110 percent when he’s talking to us and even during practices he always has a high level of energy so it kind of helps us and boosts us up a little bit,” KJ Adams Jr. said with a smile.

13 Sports Director Vince Lovergine asked Roberts what did he tell the guys before the game against Howard:

“No one should want it more than you. You should want to be out there and this is why you come to Kansas. You come here to play in games like these and play in the NCAA Tournament, it’s here now and make the best of it.”
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Norm Roberts appreciation thread

Post by pdub »

Nah fam.
lwh69ku

Post by lwh69ku »

He ain’t Bill Self. Held on to timeouts way too long while we let the game away and then total shit play out of the last timeout.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

He ain't Bill Self. We should have won that game.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We woulda won this with Self.

But also that was a charge.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

is this the meltdown thread?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Watching KU UNC.
The play out of half time.
LosCondorAzule
Contributor

Post by LosCondorAzule »

japhy wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:49 pm He ain't Bill Self. We should have won that game.
POD!
Deleted User 863

Norm is not why we lost.

Norm is not why Self had a heart attack (or whatever they are calling it).

Norm knows the same plays Self does.

Someone had to coach today, because Self wasn't healthy enough to.

Norm didn't miss free throws.

Norm didn't call 500 fouls and lose control of the game.

Norm didn't make a crucial block/charge call incorrectly.

The only thing Norm did that I think was blatantly wrong today was going for 2 down 3 with 18 seconds. And if we are being honest, I think Self would have gone for 2 there also because that's what we typically do. The way the refs were calling stuff, that decision meant if they hit free throws we may not even get a chance to control our destiny. It likely didn't help that Gradey couldn't get open, and Jalen decided to stop shooting jumpers and ONLY try to draw fouls late in the 2nd half.

Norm actually drew up a great play a possession earlier that was going to get KJ a dunk from a KM feed, but the pass was mishandled/broken up. Does he not get credit for that? Does he get no positive credit for the good things and all the credit for the bad things?

Norm is the LAST person who should be getting fucking shit talked by our "fans".
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

He TuRnEd Us InTo St. JoHn'S!
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Self is worth at least two points.
Deleted User 863

Free throws are worth 1pt each.

3pters are worth 3pts each.

You're overly anti Norm because I said nice things about him and you're petty so now it's your life goal to shit on Norm whenever you can.

#goodfan

Now go ban me you fucking whiny pussy.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yes.
And Self is worth at least a combo of two of those points.
And no, I think Norm did the best he could.

Bill Self is a great coach. One of the best of all time. I think we would have beaten Arkansas with him on the sidelines.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Lot of edits.
I don’t think that’s my life goal.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Coaches don't have nearly as much control over the game as fans think. Self said it himself, literally this morning. We are blessed to have guys like norm and Dooley, but we mightve lost that game with self there too

Shitty thing is we lead most the game. But Arkansas made plays at the end and we didn't
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I disagree.

At the very least I disagree enough to where I think Self would have made a difference in this game.

Otherwise why doesn’t Kansas just hire you and illy as coaches?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:07 pm Free throws are worth 1pt each.

3pters are worth 3pts each.

You're overly anti Norm because I said nice things about him and you're petty so now it's your life goal to shit on Norm whenever you can.

#goodfan

Now go ban me you fucking whiny pussy.
Please?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

https://theathletic.com/4312851/2023/03 ... elf/?amp=1

It’s said as a way to brag on someone as the best basketball coach going: If everything you had rode on winning one game, that’s the guy you want running your team.
The men’s NCAA Tournament, of course, is nothing but those kinds of games for the next month. So we figured it’s a good time to figure out who that guy actually is.
The Athletic asked more than 30 sitting Division I men’s coaches whom they’d pick to coach a good team — not necessarily their team, just a generically good team — in a must-win game. The results were conclusive. Kansas coach Bill Self is the country’s coach of choice.
“Honestly, I don’t think there’s anybody better than Self right now,” one power conference coach said. “I really don’t. That dude is a f—— monster. Best in our game right now. Not even close. Recruiting, coaching, Xs and Os, getting teams better. It ain’t close.
“I don’t think he gets enough credit — one, because he downplays it, and two, people get caught up in the nonsense of what he does recruiting-wise, which I think is bull—-. But I think the dude is borderline genius at Xs and Os.”
Deleted User 863

It's Bill's fault that Bill couldn't coach today.

If any coach is to blame for THIS loss, it is Bill Self, in my opinion.

Taking shots at Norm because he isn't Bill Self is classless. Norm fulfilled his obligations as a coach today. Bill Self didn't.

Don't like the plays that were called? Blame Bill Self. He couldn't fulfill his obligations as head coach today.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

That’s like saying it’s Udokas fault he couldn’t play in 2019 but you do you.