Contributor

Re: 2023-2024 lineup

Post by InfiniteJ »

That's a lot of walk-ons...
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Kansas basketball forward Parker Braun met with reporters on Friday.

Parker Braun says Bill Self is tinkering with KU's game plans to find what works
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

this could go elsewhere, but…

Will Hunter Dickinson and Kansas live up to the hype?

In Dickinson, the No. 1 Jayhawks have a player Bill Self is calling the best offensive big man he's ever coached. The former Michigan All-American became the biggest transfer portal entry we've seen in college basketball because of his dramatic offseason sweepstakes between Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland and Villanova. In choosing to head to Lawrence, he instantly made KU the front-runner for the national title. Averaging more than 18 points and nine rebounds per game in each of the last two seasons, the senior should dominate in the Jayhawks offense. But Kansas did lose an exhibition game at Illinois. Exhibition or not, Kansas shooting 3-for-12 from 3-point range, then shooting 6-for-28 against Fort Hays State in their final preseason tune-up, could signal problems around perimeter shooting. Towson transfer Nick Timberlake is really important and has struggled in the preseason. Kansas needs him to be a knockdown sharpshooter, or else this team could be overrated because I think they are lacking a tinge from the outside.

https://amp.foxsports.com/stories/colle ... all-season
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Timberlake has been massively disappointing. The jump in competition at KU from what it was at Towson has been overwhelming for him it seems like. And if he isn't making shots, he doesn't really do anything else well.

Elmarko has looked decent, but he's not a reliable scoring threat in the half court. Forcing him to try to do that may be at the expense of the overall team.

We can't have only 2 dependable scorers. We need KJ and DH to stay aggressive. It doesn't have to be outside jump shots. But we can't have 7 combined points from our 3 starters not named HD and KM.

Thankfully this is exactly why you play these early season games against good teams. We will learn. I still think we've got the best core 4 in the country. They just don't have any help yet and some games we will struggle to score.

11 turnovers combined from HD and KM. Marquette is impressive on the defensive end. Very connected.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

they also hack, grab, slap, pull, and hold a lot.

kind of like WVU Huggins years
Just Ledoux it
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Unfortunately, last night's game could be a microcosm for the entire season; not enough shooting, not enough depth.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

mama said there'd be days like this, there'd be days like this, mama said.
Just Ledoux it
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

InfiniteJ wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:49 am Unfortunately, last night's game could be a microcosm for the entire season; not enough shooting, not enough depth.
Although history tells me there will indeed be days like this, I’m more nervous this team has a low ceiling against elite (very good) teams than I have been in the past. I won’t drone on about it, but a slightly pessimistic feeling resides in my belly this season.

That said, In Self We Trust.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

the arterio morris fiasco may very well come back to bite us

not that he shouldn’t have been dismissed, but that we should’ve (obviously, in hind-sight) focused recruiting efforts elsewhere
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I think there is some truth in that. Need some scoring in tines of drought like this team is going to have.
Just Ledoux it
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

All short-comings aside, Marquette just looked better prepared for this match-up than we did. KU just didn't look prepared for the pressure defense.

There are a number of things that can be corrected/improved. Defense, rebounding, taking care of the ball. Other things like poor shooting and lack of depth are hard to do anything about.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

AlOerter wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:48 am All short-comings aside, Marquette just looked better prepared for this match-up than we did. KU just didn't look prepared for the pressure defense.

There are a number of things that can be corrected/improved. Defense, rebounding, taking care of the ball. Other things like poor shooting and lack of depth are hard to do anything about.
The more aggressive team almost always wins and Marquette was by far the more aggressive team all night. They played with far more energy and just simply played like a Top 4 team SHOULD play in this type of matchup. KU did not.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

The best shooter on the team is either McCullar or Dickinson and most of the time you have 3 dudes on the floor who can't shoot...you can twist it anyway you want, but that's trouble.

Bill is one of the greatest basketball coaches of all-time, but he tends to recruit athleticism over shooting.

While I'm glad Arterio Morris is gone (for obvious reasons), the dose of shooting/athleticism/defense/depth he would have provided would have done wonders for this team.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Re: recruit athleticism over shooting, why do I still feel like we’re still prone to looking like the less athletic team?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:43 am the arterio morris fiasco may very well come back to bite us

not that he shouldn’t have been dismissed, but that we should’ve (obviously, in hind-sight) focused recruiting efforts elsewhere
He would be that extra scorer we need.

I sure wish MJ Rice would have stuck it out.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Gradey Dick at the 2 this year would have been nice.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Feels like Jamari McDowell might be the best option to be our 5th guy? Plays within himself and doesn't make many mistakes. Gives us some length and can shoot and guard
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:07 pm Gradey Dick at the 2 this year would have been nice.
won't matter as long as Dajuan is Steph Curry!

wouldn't hurt if KM turned into Scottie Pippen and Elmarko into MJ either...
Just Ledoux it