2023-2024 lineup

Kansas Basketball.
twocoach

Re: 2023-2024 lineup

Post by twocoach »

shindig wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:54 pm I just don’t see GD as a top draft, I don’t know. He needs another year under Self, IMO. Plus he’s always wanted to play for KU, so maybe that and losing in the second round will keep him at KU another year. He needs to bulk up and be more aggressive.
I wouldn't be stunned if Dick decided to come back to fill the alpha spot and improve his game but I would be surprised. He has NBA shooting talent but he is going to get cooked on defense and schemed out of plays for a few more years. Even if he returns, KU desperately needs more shooting. Weak shooting doomed KU this season.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

shindig wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:56 pm
jfish26 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:29 pm
Back2Lawrence wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:22 pm Why would he not go pro? Delaying a year will almost certainly cost him lots and lots of money. Either next year, or towards end of career, whenever that might be. Wanting kids to stay in school is dumb.
Maybe yes, maybe no. I think a mid-teens pick is in line for a rookie salary in the $4-5mm range. Would Gradey get there in NIL by staying? Probably not.

But, would what Gradey can get in NIL, plus all the “soft” reasons college is better/more fun, plus the possibility of moving up in the draft* for a higher rookie salary in 2024-25, move the needle enough?

It’s at least possible. And I would like that very much. I would prefer Gradey play for KU next year, rather than some mid NBA team (because I am a fan of KU, not NBA teams).

* Absent catastrophic injury, his floor is in the teens, whenever it is he comes out.
^^. I think Gradey tests the waters, all depends on how he does in NBA combines. Might come back he needs another year for a lottery pick. I just don’t think he’s there yet. But NBA scouts might think different and if so, good for him.
https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Rice seems in line for a big role but yea who knows. He showed flashes but also never really clicked. He's a true freshy tho, who battled the injury bug too, so there's a good chance he shows up as a sophomore looking like a completely different player.

maybe I'm just still hungover from a bad tourney loss, but I think I'd trade Bobby and Yes for one serviceable transfer guard. I think (?) Yes is eligible for a grad transfer. And Bobby is just so poor-man's-Dajuan but with the same eligibility window as Dajuan too. And in a season in which we needed guard play and scoring, both were pretty underwhelming, despite opportunities for minutes being there.

I'm kind of hoping Elmarko will be ready to go, both alongside Dajuan as well as to spell Dajuan, but that might be a lot to ask of a freshman guard. While I've come to appreciate all that Dajuan is for us, I also feel realistic about all that he is not, and among other things, he is not a 40 minute a night guy. With that said, watch him be one next year, for better or worse. And it feels weird to say, but we prob need him to be a double digit scorer for us next year. He averaged 8.9ppg this year, so it's possible.

I think I'm OK with Udeh and Zuby as our 5-spot rotation for the next couple years, especially since the frosh-soph development curve tends to be significant, and especially since KJ works at that position too (and, perhaps depending on the right matchup, can work even better than a traditional big).

Zach feels like kind of an odd fit, more of a shooting forward who's expected to be an old school post, but maybe Self can figure out a way to make him work. Cam got a medical redshirt this year, but unless we actually think he's actually gonna play actual minutes next year, I kinda think we might be better off giving his scholarship to a younger dood to develop. And considering both of them are similar players (bigs with a J), I dunno if we'll keep both around.

I guess that leaves the 2-4 spots. Already mentioned Rice, and think he has the size and athleticism and potential to be a good piece. KJ will prob play a bunch at the 4 next year, which is prob his more natural position anyway. Elmarko (or another one of the freshmen) might be ready. Maybe this Mark Adams news indicates staff wants him to play? But, I imagine we'll bring in at least one experienced transfer, whether more of a guard, or a wing. And whether a guard or a wing, please at least be someone who can shoot.
shindig

Post by shindig »

InfiniteJ wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:59 pm
shindig wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:56 pm
jfish26 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:29 pm

Maybe yes, maybe no. I think a mid-teens pick is in line for a rookie salary in the $4-5mm range. Would Gradey get there in NIL by staying? Probably not.

But, would what Gradey can get in NIL, plus all the “soft” reasons college is better/more fun, plus the possibility of moving up in the draft* for a higher rookie salary in 2024-25, move the needle enough?

It’s at least possible. And I would like that very much. I would prefer Gradey play for KU next year, rather than some mid NBA team (because I am a fan of KU, not NBA teams).

* Absent catastrophic injury, his floor is in the teens, whenever it is he comes out.
^^. I think Gradey tests the waters, all depends on how he does in NBA combines. Might come back he needs another year for a lottery pick. I just don’t think he’s there yet. But NBA scouts might think different and if so, good for him.
https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/
Mock is the key. He disappeared in a lot of games, defense is average at best, made a lot of big shots, but also missed quite a few. We’ll see. He’s no Embiid.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

shindig wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:51 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:39 pm We’re going to run into a number crunch soon. Scholarship reduction, 4 recruits coming in.
Guessing some scholarship players won’t be back.
heck, there were certain doods I didn't necessarily expect to be back for this most recent season, but kinda felt like Self was enjoying his natty honeymoon so much last offseason that he just kinda put GM duties on the back burner.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

shindig wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:32 pm
Back2Lawrence wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:22 pm Why would he not go pro? Delaying a year will almost certainly cost him lots and lots of money. Either next year, or towards end of career, whenever that might be. Wanting kids to stay in school is dumb.
“Wanting kids to stay in school is dumb”? I’m guessing you dropped out after you failed Psych 101 at KU. Dumb ass.
Wanting first round pics to stay in school is dumb, yes.

And fuck off, cunt.
shindig

Post by shindig »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:39 pm
shindig wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:32 pm
“Wanting kids to stay in school is dumb”? I’m guessing you dropped out after you failed Psych 101 at KU. Dumb ass.
Wanting first round pics to stay in school is dumb, yes.

And fuck off, cunt.
Lol. Go back to your job tomorrow popping rivets.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Do you guys know each other?
shindig

Post by shindig »

Mjl wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:51 pm Do you guys know each other?
No. But I will apologize since B2L is a newbie. Probably a generational thing…lol.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

I’m not a newbie. I just don’t post much. No need to apologize. That might prove you aren’t a cunt.

If it were generational, I’d probably be more apt to be popping zits rather than rivets.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Jamari McDowell might actually be more important than people realize of the freshman guards next year. Hes rising up the rankings but also.. he can shoot
Last edited by randylahey on Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

what's wrong with popping rivets?

tin benders make damn good money.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Marcus Adams reclassified and will be on campus next year.

I wouldn't be surprised if Clemence goes elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if Yesefu and/or Bobby find other homes.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Grady aint coming back lets just end the discussion. Hes good enough to get drafted in the first round. First round is 2 years guaranteed millions. (And then 2 years of team options) He will probably go high first round. Id guess around 10th. So he's looking to make around 10 million his first 2 years in the NBA. And going this season means he can sign his first big contract a year sooner compared to if he came back one more season
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Replace Martin with Cuffe.

Next year I think you gotta go two bigs. Hedge screens instead of icing/switching. Control the paint.

We need shooters. Badly. Cam is a shooter.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

pettiford, clemence, Martin, cuffe, yesefu are the 5 i bet consider transferring. Hopefully nobody else even thinks about it. I doubt all 5 transfer, but at least 3 probably will
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

can Martin even transfer? he's pretty close to collecting social security isnt he?
Just Ledoux it
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I don't see a reason for Pettiford to stick around. Him and Juan both have two years left.

Yesufu lost probably half a dozen balls off his hands on the opposite baseline this year, culminating with the biggest fuck up of the year on that free throw rebound. I don't want to see him anymore. Mind might change after some more cooling off time. Until then - transfer back to Drake.

Cuffe will be fun for some team, but probably won't get minutes at Kansas, might as well leave.

Clemence to Wisconsin. Perfect fit.

Rice is the interesting one. Either his slow feet are a physical issue in which case he might as well leave, or it was a mental issue and he has a lot of potential then.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Cuffe is a big question mark. He has tools. Between cuffe pettiford and yesefu i hope we get at least one back for continuity