2023-2024 lineup

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: 2023-2024 lineup

Post by jfish26 »

As always, I’d hope the guys look at Bill’s history and figure out what tends to pay off, staying or going.

That said, it doesn’t *feel* like both Rice and Cuffe come back. Too much the same guy, and same profile.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

jfish26 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:17 pm As always, I’d hope the guys look at Bill’s history and figure out what tends to pay off, staying or going.

That said, it doesn’t *feel* like both Rice and Cuffe come back. Too much the same guy, and same profile.
They are completely different players actually. Thats like saying Wayne Selden and elijah Johnson were the same guy
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:17 pm As always, I’d hope the guys look at Bill’s history and figure out what tends to pay off, staying or going.

I dont know that we've seen enough of either to know what guy they are or aren't.
Just Ledoux it
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

randylahey wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:59 pm

They are completely different players actually. Thats like saying Wayne Selden and elijah Johnson were the same guy
Hate to say it but that's pretty spot on.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:59 pm

I dont know that we've seen enough of either to know what guy they are or aren't.
Sort of my point.

They’re both big guards (not lead ballhandlers, but also not wings) who haven’t seen the floor much. Given what’s coming back (right/wrong/otherwise, they’re both behind Yesufu and Pettiford, and Harris won’t leave the floor much next year) and what’s coming in, there’s just only so many minutes to go around.

I would be surprised if both came back.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

How in the hell is mj rice "not a wing" ? Lol
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Cuffe is a top 150 guy who redshirted last year and appeared in all of 2 games this year before sitting out with injury. Maybe we've got something there, but he otherwise seems like the kind of end-of-the-bench guy who is more likely to transfer than to break the rotation.

Rice is 3 inches taller, like 30 pounds more muscle, and a 5 star burger recruit who actually got a few minutes here and there, and actually showed flashes too, but also dealt with injuries for much of the year.

but maybe Fish's point is that Self is more likely to get cute and go all in on starting Dajuan/Bobby/Yes?

although, man. Neither Bobby nor Yes has shown much. Yesufu just doesn't seem that good at basketball. No feel for the game, no PG skills to speak of despite being in a PG body, not a good jump shot despite being a "scorer," not a good slasher despite being strong and athletic as F.

And Bobby's enjoyed the coach's pet treatment, first off the bench for most of the year. Also dealt with injury, as he has for his entire career. Not a jump shooter, not a slasher, not great PG skills despite being billed as the next great PG. Had a streak in which he'd check in and promptly turn it over for like how many games in a row...that's the kind of stuff that would get most underclassman guards banished to the walk-on end of the bench, but he still kept getting reps, and just not doing much with them.

both have been here 2 years, shown little development, got minutes, just haven't done much with them. I'm trying to think of previous player comparisons, but most doods who ended up doods as upperclassmen at least showed ability to contribute by the end of sophomore year.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

The closest comparison I can think of for pettiford is naadir tharpe. Lol. Or frank Mason with no shooting

The closest comparison for yesefu is sherron Collins except with no basketball IQ or toughness
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

We have zero clue what Cuffe is and Rice has been so lost/injured we can't tell what his skills are either. Right now, Rice is just a taller, less aggressive Yesefu. Rice's role was come in and don't do anything stupid. That wasn't a good role for him. Hopefully he will have a role he is better suited for next season.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:19 am

We have zero clue what Cuffe is and Rice has been so lost/injured we can't tell what his skills are either. Right now, Rice is just a taller, less aggressive Yesefu. Rice's role was come in and don't do anything stupid. That wasn't a good role for him. Hopefully he will have a role he is better suited for next season.
This is my point. I don't see how we have room for TWO guys like this, neither of which will (you'd think) be ok with another lost season.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Jfish your point isn't hitting. We have plenty of room for 2 freshman with high upside to grow into bigger roles. One is McDonald's all american wing and one is a super athletic combo guard

I do think there's a decent chance cuffe transfers. With dajuan back, pettiford and yesefu unknown, and 3 incoming guards, cuffe would have to be feeling very confident in himself if he stays. But none of those guys affect mj rice really
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

In this era, you get in the ear of a guy like Damari Monsanto at Wake Forest to transfer.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Our starting 2 3 and 4 are all leaving. Mj rice is the obvious choice to slide into the starting spot and have a massive increase in minutes and production
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:29 am Jfish your point isn't hitting. We have plenty of room for 2 freshman with high upside to grow into bigger roles. One is McDonald's all american wing and one is a super athletic combo guard

I do think there's a decent chance cuffe transfers. With dajuan back, pettiford and yesefu unknown, and 3 incoming guards, cuffe would have to be feeling very confident in himself if he stays. But none of those guys affect mj rice really
But, Randy, we don't have room for that.

Let's assume we play with two bigs (KJ and another big) half the time. That leaves 140 minutes (40*3 plus 20) for guards/wings.

Harris is going to play 34, so that leaves 106 minutes.

Even assuming Dick leaves, that's 106 minutes for:

Yesufu
Pettiford
Cuffe
Rice
Jackson
Johnson
McDowell
Adams (who can maybe play some 4, too)

That's not gonna work!
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:39 am Our starting 2 3 and 4 are all leaving. Mj rice is the obvious choice to slide into the starting spot and have a massive increase in minutes and production
I hope so, but I'm not sure what from this season or Bill's history would give you confidence there. I will be pretty surprised if we're not starting Harris, Yesufu/Pettiford and an older transfer.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:40 am
randylahey wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:29 am Jfish your point isn't hitting. We have plenty of room for 2 freshman with high upside to grow into bigger roles. One is McDonald's all american wing and one is a super athletic combo guard

But, Randy, we don't have room for that.

Let's assume we play with two bigs (KJ and another big) half the time. That leaves 140 minutes (40*3 plus 20) for guards/wings.

Harris is going to play 34, so that leaves 106 minutes.

Even assuming Dick leaves, that's 106 minutes for:

Yesufu
Pettiford
Cuffe
Rice
Jackson
Johnson
McDowell
Adams (who can maybe play some 4, too)

That's not gonna work!
Adams has been described as a "better shooting Jalen Wilson" because of his 6'8"size, physicality and desire to attack the rim. He will need to put on 15-20 pounds but I bet he gets some floor time.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

ugh.

you might be right, but ugh.

for perspective:

player A: 13mpg, 2.9 ppg, 1.3 apg, .267 3pt, .9 TO

Player B: 12mpg, 2.2ppg, 1.3 apg, .300 3pt (on literally only 10 attempts all year), 1.1 TO

(I know Bobby is a different player. But, at the same time, looking at stats and eye test and some grander evaluation and future prospects, and thinking, "maybe the issue with Charlie Moore is we should just pencil him in to start next year")
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:18 am
twocoach wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:19 am

This is my point. I don't see how we have room for TWO guys like this, neither of which will (you'd think) be ok with another lost season.
Rotation players don't come to Kansas expecting to be in the rotation for 3-4 years. Harris is the exception to the rule, not the norm. That just isn't how our roster works. If they work hard, improve and listen to what the coaches tell them to do then they get 1-3 years to be featured.

I have no clue what Rice expects to happen or what he will or won't be happy with. I try to not assume I know. If he stays, the opportunity will be there and it will be up to him to put in the work to earn that chance. If he doesn't earn it or doesn't want to put in the work then someone else will and he will get passed and/or leave. I don't want guys playing for KU who can't beat out better players or won't put in the work to try.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

This is nonsense. Lol. Right now Mj rice might be our leading scorer next season and play 30 mpg

(We will wait and see how the transfer market plays out)
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and yea, I wonder if Marcus Adams announcing his reclassification on literally thee first day of our offseason is any indication he and/or the staff thinks he's ready to contribute next year.