2023-2024 lineup

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: 2023-2024 lineup

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:14 am This is nonsense. Lol. Right now Mj rice might be our leading scorer next season and play 30 mpg

(We will wait and see how the transfer market plays out)
I'm not sure what actual evidence you've seen that would support a forecast like that.

But, since when has a lack of actual evidence stopped you from believing anything.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:18 am
randylahey wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:14 am This is nonsense. Lol. Right now Mj rice might be our leading scorer next season and play 30 mpg

I'm not sure what actual evidence you've seen that would support a forecast like that.

But, since when has a lack of actual evidence stopped you from believing anything.
Example: Kj adams just made a huge jump in minutes and production. And he was playing out of position.

Mj rice is a mcdonalds all american poised to slide into a into a big role. Hes athletic and has a scorers mentality. This isn't hard to put together
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

randylahey wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:40 pm pettiford, clemence, Martin, cuffe, yesefu are the 5 i bet consider transferring. Hopefully nobody else even thinks about it. I doubt all 5 transfer, but at least 3 probably will
Cam Martin is not going to transfer. He's wanting to marry this hot KU softball player he dates. He already has his degree in kinesiology (iirc). He doesn't care about playing time. He is here for the experience.

Cuffe should transfer. Not good enough.

Clemence should transfer. Awkward fit.

Yesufu should stay.

Bobby should stay if he wants to be a career backup, or he should transfer if he wants to play major minutes at a smaller school.

Rice should stay.

Udeh and Zuby should stay.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think KJ showed more potential as a freshman than MJ has, but MJ has had to deal with injuries and stuff too.

MJ also had more upperclassmen ahead of him, even though I guess you could say the same about freshman KJ. But, with freshman KJ, Mitch and Dave played both more so like old school bigs, so KJ was the best option if we wanted to play small ball.

MJ is some kinda guard/wing, so in a sense had Jalen/Mc/Gradey ahead of him on the wing, plus Bobby and Yes ahead of him as more of a guard.

I go back to Bryce Thompson, who was a similar size and accolades and position and stuff, and was surprising to hear he transferred. But, Bryce had Och/CB/Jalen ahead of him (plus Remy? don't remember the exact sequence of events), and it felt more like he prob just got told he wasn't gonna get minutes the next year.

But with MJ, there's minutes for the taking.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If MJ Rice is our leading scorer next season, I think we'll be in trouble.
Deleted User 863

jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:46 am
TDub wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:59 pm
jfish26 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:17 pm As always, I’d hope the guys look at Bill’s history and figure out what tends to pay off, staying or going.

That said, it doesn’t *feel* like both Rice and Cuffe come back. Too much the same guy, and same profile.
I dont know that we've seen enough of either to know what guy they are or aren't.
Sort of my point.

They’re both big guards (not lead ballhandlers, but also not wings) who haven’t seen the floor much. Given what’s coming back (right/wrong/otherwise, they’re both behind Yesufu and Pettiford, and Harris won’t leave the floor much next year) and what’s coming in, there’s just only so many minutes to go around.

I would be surprised if both came back.
Cuffe is not very big. He's listed at 6'2 which appears VERY generous. In person he looks shorter than DH.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:23 am
randylahey wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:40 pm pettiford, clemence, Martin, cuffe, yesefu are the 5 i bet consider transferring. Hopefully nobody else even thinks about it. I doubt all 5 transfer, but at least 3 probably will
Cam Martin is not going to transfer. He's wanting to marry this hot KU softball player he dates. He already has his degree in kinesiology (iirc). He doesn't care about playing time. He is here for the experience.

Cuffe should transfer. Not good enough.

Clemence should transfer. Awkward fit.

Yesufu should stay.

Bobby should stay if he wants to be a career backup, or he should transfer if he wants to play major minutes at a smaller school.

Rice should stay.

Udeh and Zuby should stay.
the decision to transfer may not be Cam's to make. We gotta free up scholly space one way or another, which is prob more of a concern as a whole than how hot his girlfriend is. If he already has a degree, then he's eligible for a grad transfer, right? And the question about playing time is not whether he cares about it, but whether the staff thinks he's actually gonna get any. Cuz if he isn't, then why give a scholly to a guy like that, when you could give it to someone who IS gonna play, and/or at least be young and can develop for the future.

Plus, if we say Zach is an awkward fit, how can you say Cam is not? They're similar players...unless you meant that as a comment on ink.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

So what does or roster look like next year?

Guards/wings:
Returnees
Dajuan Harris
Joseph Yesefu
Bobby Petteford
MJ Rice
Kyle Cuffe

Freshmen
Elmarko Jackson
Chris Johnson
Jamari McDowell
Marcus Adams

Bigs:
Returnees
KJ Adams
Ernest Udeh
Zuby Ejiofor
Zach Clemence
Cam Martin

Gone: Jalen Wilson
Probably Gone: Kevin McCullar, Gradey Dick

We appear to be full on scholarships so it doesn't look like there will be any help coming from the transfer portal unless we have a transfer out. Not a good shooting team at all unless some of the freshmen turn out to be good college level shooters.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:20 am

Example: Kj adams just made a huge jump in minutes and production. And he was playing out of position.

Mj rice is a mcdonalds all american poised to slide into a into a big role. Hes athletic and has a scorers mentality. This isn't hard to put together
I was wrong about Adams (I thought he'd be good Jamari Traylor someday, not something more like a more interior-oriented Josh Jackson/Julian Wright).

But counting on that sort of leap from Rice seems like a fool's errand.

Rice reminds me a LOT of Selden. My expectations for Rice, who more or less lost last season altogether, are - assuming he can earn minutes - something like what Selden brought to the table as a freshman (Selden's freshman line: 9.6/2.6/2.5/0.7/0.3 in 29 minutes).
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:31 am So what does or roster look like next year?

Guards/wings:
Returnees
Dajuan Harris
Joseph Yesefu
Bobby Petteford
MJ Rice
Kyle Cuffe

Freshmen
Elmarko Jackson
Chris Johnson
Jamari McDowell
Marcus Adams

Bigs:
Returnees
KJ Adams
Ernest Udeh
Zuby Ejiofor
Zach Clemence
Cam Martin

We appear to be full on scholarships so it doesn't look like there will be any help coming from the transfer portal unless we have a transfer out. Not a good shooting team at all unless some of the freshmen turn out to be good college level shooters.
McCullar is capital-g-Gone, I think. And Dick isn't far behind.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:28 am If MJ Rice is our leading scorer next season, I think we'll be in trouble.
I agree.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Kjs stats as a freshman:

1.0 pts
0.8 rebounds

4.8 minutes a game

He didn't carve out a role of show much as a freshman. Flashed some potential occasionally. He had a harder road than rice will (kj played out of position at center)

Rice didn't have a great freshman either. But everyone should be able to see the opportunity in front of him to break lose next season
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:28 am If MJ Rice is our leading scorer next season, I think we'll be in trouble.
DH is going to throw about 10 lobs a game to Udeh KJ and Zuby. We will have balanaced scoring. Unless Gradey comes back.

I do think MJ Rice is a 10ppg guy next year though. He will be much more prepared next year.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:31 am So what does or roster look like next year?

Guards/wings:
Returnees
Dajuan Harris
Joseph Yesefu
Bobby Petteford
MJ Rice
Kyle Cuffe

Freshmen
Elmarko Jackson
Chris Johnson
Jamari McDowell
Marcus Adams

Bigs:
Returnees
KJ Adams
Ernest Udeh
Zuby Ejiofor
Zach Clemence
Cam Martin

Plus the scholarship reduction begins.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:31 am

I was wrong about Adams (I thought he'd be good Jamari Traylor someday, not something more like a more interior-oriented Josh Jackson/Julian Wright).

Rice reminds me a LOT of Selden. My expectations for Rice, who more or less lost last season altogether, are - assuming he can earn minutes - something like what Selden brought to the table as a freshman (Selden's freshman line: 9.6/2.6/2.5/0.7/0.3 in 29 minutes).
Ok I agree with your Selden comparison. Ive been comparing those 2 since we got rice. So the difference is Selden played a ton as a freshman cause we had no choice. I think if rice would've played a ton as a freshman, he would've given us the same kind of production.

Sophomore rice is going to be a lot better than freshman Selden tho. Hes already had a year of growing pains to figure some stuff out
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:33 am
I agree.
Next years team is not built to score. We need a key transfer that can shoot
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pretty sure Rice is athletic enough to be on the receiving end of the lob party - think BMac/Och style baseline cuts.

We're gonna not have a ton of shooting, though, once again. And also maybe not have a "go-get-us-a-bucket" kinda guy, which is pretty critical to have on any contender.

And, it feels weird to say, but...pretty sure we're gonna need double digit point production outta...Dajuan...
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:36 am
jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:31 am

Ok I agree with your Selden comparison. Ive been comparing those 2 since we got rice. So the difference is Selden played a ton as a freshman cause we had no choice. I think if rice would've played a ton as a freshman, he would've given us the same kind of production.

Sophomore rice is going to be a lot better than freshman Selden tho. Hes already had a year of growing pains to figure some stuff out
I hope so - I hope Rice is awesome. I hope he really was too hurt to contribute this year (because it's not like his low minutes were a function of our depth - we BADLY needed someone to do what I thought he was going to be able to do).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think JFish's freshman Selden comparison is on point.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i do not think km is an nba player. so his decision is between playing in europe or at KU.

i don't think jw has an nba career. but, if he wants to get started with what's next. i can accept/respect that.

i think gd should come back. but "whatever" if i have seen the last of him in a KU uniform.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"