Kansas basketball 2022/2023 (hindsight)

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Kansas basketball 2022/2023 (hindsight)

Post by pdub »

I think without a post who could get his own shot - i.e. someone who would draw attention under the basket - teams could cheat more to the perimeter and once they knew Gradey was our deadliest guy out there, they could key on him. He ( and the staff ) realized this and so he would often catch and drive or catch/fake and drive to get closer - and he's a great scorer - but 3 points > 2 if you shoot them around the same %.

KU shoulda paid up for super senior Dave.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Dave's getting paid in Turkey right now. Can't figure out how much he's earning tho, but I wonder if it's more than a good NIL deal.

I tried googling it, and the only number I found was some sketchy "celebrity net worth" kinda site that says some dood named David McCormack is worth $160 billion, so maybe he's doing ok.
Last edited by ousdahl on Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:25 am
lulz
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:25 am I think without a post who could get his own shot - i.e. someone who would draw attention under the basket - teams could cheat more to the perimeter and once they knew Gradey was our deadliest guy out there, they could key on him. He ( and the staff ) realized this and so he would often catch and drive or catch/fake and drive to get closer - and he's a great scorer - but 3 points > 2 if you shoot them around the same %.

I think this is pretty much right (and the issue is exacerbated by teams not having to bother with Harris). Seems like we should have learned, by now, that it's very, VERY difficult to make things work with two non-shooters on the floor.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

only two?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

The idea that teams "ignore" Harris is false narrative. It's not happening anymore. It happened in 21/22, but not for the majority of this year.

Time to stop going back to that tired and lazy argument. Watch the games. It is not happening.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Dajuan shot 40% from deep this year. But that's not to say he's a Gradey Dick sort of shooter. That 40% is in large part due to the fact he was pretty much wide F-ing open every time he took a 3. He only took 74 attempts all year.

For comparison, Gradey took 206 attempts.

Or, to compare other point guards:

Devon Dotson took 123 attempts as a sophomore (without the benefit of a postseason, either)

Devonte Graham took 271 attempts in 2018

Frank Mason took 189 in 17

Elijah '13 took 157

Tyshawn '12 took 152

so Dajuan took like (generously, at least) half the 3 pointers that pretty much any other upperclassman major minutes lead guard has taken. And, again, that was usually only when he was wide F-ing open.

So while it's prob not entirely accurate to say defenses "ignore" Dajuan from deep, they also don't have to treat Dajuan like pretty much any other lead guard from deep, either. (how else does he so often get wide F-ing open enough to not hesitate to shoot?)

and that's also not even considering the fact every other one of those PGs I mentioned was more of a threat to slash than Dajuan, either.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

you work very hard to besmirch dh.

slow down. you have the entire offseason to besmirsh dh. you don't want to burnout too soon.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Deleted User 863

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:19 am you work very hard to besmirch dh.

slow down. you have the entire offseason to besmirsh dh. you don't want to burnout too soon.
No surprise Q is nowhere to be found on the hoops boards when things are going well....suddenly we lose, and he's very interested in giving his piss poor player evaluations again.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:08 am he was pretty much wide F-ing open every time he took a 3.
1. That's not entirely true.

2. Taking guarded 3s isn't a "good" thing. You understand that, right?

It's so funny to watch someone like Q do this. He complains that DH only takes open 3s, then in the next breath would complain about Sherron Collins hero ball taking guarded 3s.

Then lists 3 NBA guards and complains DH isn't more like them. LOL

#fail
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

not trying to besmirch!

Just trying to objectively evaluate who he is, and who he isn't.

I am grateful for his floor general coach-on-the-court sort of presence, and for usually taking care of the ball, and setting up others, and being disruptive on D, and sometimes even hitting timely buckets too.

but it's also just an objective observation that he's prob the worst shooter we've ever had as a major minutes lead guard, percentages be damned.

This is high major ball at an all-time program. As such, let's not act like we aren't allowed to be a little critical, especially not after loosing in the first weekend as a 1 seed.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:26 am not trying to besmirch!

I am grateful for his floor general coach-on-the-court sort of presence, and for usually taking care of the ball, and setting up others, and being disruptive on D, and sometimes even hitting timely buckets too.

but it's also just an objective observation that he's prob the worst shooter we've ever had as a major minutes lead guard, percentages be damned.

This is high major ball at an all-time program. As such, let's not act like we aren't allowed to be a little critical, especially not after loosing in the first weekend as a 1 seed.
There are no NBA point guards on our team currently.

Seems pretty fucking stupid to compare him to guys like Frank Tyshawn and Devonte.

Sounds like your issue is with us not having more NBA players. That's a recruiting issue. Not a DH issue.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:25 am
ousdahl wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:08 am he was pretty much wide F-ing open every time he took a 3.

It's so funny to watch someone like Q do this. He complains that DH only takes open 3s, then in the next breath would complain about Sherron Collins hero ball taking guarded 3s.

#fail
yea, I know taking guarded 3s isn't a good thing. I've never suggested otherwise!

speaking of fail, this is you obliviously missing the point and making arguments out of moving goalposts, yet again.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:29 am

Seems pretty fucking stupid to compare him to guys like Frank Tyshawn and Devonte.

Sounds like your issue is with us not having more NBA players. That's a recruiting issue. Not a DH issue.
why is it stupid to compare him to other guys who have played similar minutes in the same position as him?

Speaking of more NBA players and recruiting, non-zero chance that this time next year Self sits Dajuan and throws the Ferrari keys to Elmarko

just like Self did with Remy, despite hating the dood otherwise
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:30 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:25 am

#fail
yea, I know taking guarded 3s isn't a good thing. I've never suggested otherwise!
Bullshit.

You keep * his % because he's a pass first PG.

You do understand what a pass first PG is, right?
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:32 am

why is it stupid to compare him to other guys who have played similar minutes in the same position as him?

Speaking of more NBA players and recruiting, non-zero chance that this time next year Self sits Dajuan and throws the Ferrari keys to Elmarko

Remy isn't an NBA PG.

Self didn't "sit" DH this time last year. God you're fucking stupid.

Remy can receive his flowers without pretending it was at the "expense" of DH. It wasn't. Anyone who watched knows that. Hell, they were in together a lot.

This is strangely the ONLY time you come to this section of the messageboard. When you have dumb, negative, and often inaccurate analysis to vomit to the rest of us. It's like me on the politics board.

Enjoy.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

dh has one thing those other guys do not.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Deleted User 863

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:37 am dh has one thing those other guys do not.
🏆
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:32 am

LOL. Elmarko will be lucky if he gets to pick up dajuans dirty towels next season
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Garrett was a worse shooter. Harris is better offensively.

But I'm done referring to him as having some sort of magical floor general powers. He tried to barf away the title game last year. He did barf away the Arkansas game this year.