What if Gradey...

Kansas Basketball.
AlOerter
Contributor

What if Gradey...

Post by AlOerter »

Came back next season and became a top 5 draft pick? If he got stronger and got a little better on defense and got a little better finishing drives with another year under the schooling of our coaching staff he could be a Naismith Award finalist.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: What if Gradey...

Post by KUTradition »

he could be POY

would be awesome, but it ain’t happening imo
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

You know damn well he ain't gonna be here next year
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Don't even get your hopes up. He could have a guaranteed $10M by getting drafted in lottery, this year, which seems likely.

Say he's the 10th pick this year. 1st year salary is $4M, 2nd year is $4.2M, 3rd year option is $4.4 and 4th year option is $5.6M. Guaranteed $8M and has the option to get up to $17M by year 4.

Say he's a top 5 the next year. 1st year salary is $6M, 2nd years is $6.3M, 3rd year option is $6.6M and 4th year option is $8.4M. Guaranteed $12M and has the option to get up to $27M by year 4.

So sure, he has the potential to get $10M more by end of year 4. But what if he comes back and has a catastrophic injury and loses out on basically all that money. My guess is he'll gladly take $17M in first 4 years and see what comes up next before he hits 23 years of age.

He'll maybe, MAYBE, get $1M being at Kansas next year with NIL. He'll be just fine going pro.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Right.
But say he's the 15th compared to the 5th.

5th: year 1 - 6.5, year 2 - 6.9, year 3 - 7.2, year 4 - 9.1, year 5 - 12.1
41.8 million.

15th: 3.4, 3.5, 3.7, 5.7, 8
24.3 million

18 million difference over 5 years.
That's not nothin.

That said,
A: I think he's gone, you're already guaranteed more money than you'll ever need for your life within 3 years
B: Honestly a bit torn if I even want him back in today's environment - it more likely means he is getting in the neighborhood of a million dollars. Meh.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

olivia dunne makes 7 figures. have you seen olivia dunne.

if gd can command 7 figures i'll eat my hat.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
surly

Post by surly »

always begs the question if it's better to get 5* studs like dick or develop 3 and 4* dudes like jalen wilson and dajuan harris? winning teams generally are old.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

The people at Mass Strategies are confident that they can get Gradey enough NIL money to get him to stick around for another year.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Newton hawks post about nba rookie contracts sums up why there is no chance dick comes back.

And if you go a step further, once a player gets through their initial rookie contract, they become eligible to sign max extensions, which is when th BIG money is made. No reason for him to delay that an extra year by wasting another year in college
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

I don't think one more year of prep work to help get him through his rookie year would be out of the realm of possibilities for him. I can think of at least five games this year when he didn't show up. One cannot do that in the pros and expect to stay a pro.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

defixione wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:54 pm I don't think one more year of prep work to help get him through his rookie year would be out of the realm of possibilities for him. I can think of at least five games this year when he didn't show up. One cannot do that in the pros and expect to stay a pro.
Pros do that all the time. Sometimes they literally don't even play. "Load management"
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Self said as much, but about the only major flaw he’s got right now is physical strength

maybe he sees what happened to Ochai and JW, and chooses that same route?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
digitalkookie

Post by digitalkookie »

randylahey wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:00 pm
defixione wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:54 pm I don't think one more year of prep work to help get him through his rookie year would be out of the realm of possibilities for him. I can think of at least five games this year when he didn't show up. One cannot do that in the pros and expect to stay a pro.
Pros do that all the time. Sometimes they literally don't even play. "Load management"
Load management guys and those who "do that all the time" are established pros, not rookies
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the kids come the kids go. i'm about the name on the front of the jersey.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

It would be an amazing story and would cement him in KU lore if he returned to be The Man and lead KU to a Final Four.

I doubt it happens. But it is fun to day dream.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

The fact that we're having this conversation at all is great - it's an example of why NIL is good for the sport (in addition to being good for the players).

College basketball would be better next year for Gradey being in it.

KU would be better next year for Gradey being in a jersey that says KANSAS across the front.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:39 pm KU would be better next year for Gradey being in a jersey that says KANSAS across the front.
I see what you did here.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

It’s be cool if he came back. Doubt it happens.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Notable players who returned last year:
Oscar Tshiebwe, Kentucky
Drew Timme, Gonzaga
Armando Bacot, North Carolina
Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana
Marcus Sasser, Houston
Jaime Jaquez Jr., UCLA
Mike Miles, TCU