Rule Change Ideas

Kansas Basketball.
Back2Lawrence

Rule Change Ideas

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Not sure if there is a discussion for this. If so, point me to it, and I’ll go there.

A change I’d like is the fouling outside the arc at end of game to prevent a three point shot to potentially tie game. I’d like there to be three shots awarded to the fouled team. I understand fouling here, but it takes away so many potential exciting final shots, or potentially does.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Rule Change Ideas

Post by jfish26 »

For me, I wouldn't touch a single rule until you fix block/charge.

You should never, ever be rewarded with a charge call for jumping into a guy's way. You should never, ever be rewarded with a charge call if you are not actively engaged in defending.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

At a bare minimum, I'd support not counting charge fouls (drawn by a secondary defender) against a guy's five fouls, or the team's fouls. Make it a simple turnover, and at least you've buffed down the incentive for what is a dangerous and unnecessary play.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Back2Lawrence - Maybe give them the option to take the ball out of bounds and set up another play for a 3. They experimented with a rule like that some years ago although I think they applied it to any defensive foul in the last 2 minutes if I remember right.

jfish26 - I agree with the block/charge insights. Sometimes it is physically impossible for a player to stop his momentum when a defensive player just jumps into his path (blocking his path to the basket). An offensive player who is just clearly trying to move a defender out of his way by running over him or shoving him with his off arm should definitely be a charge.

Much of the time it is fairly obvious who is seeking the contact. When you jump in front of someone with a full head of steam you are seeking contact. That player should get the foul.

Also, have you ever seen a defender who clearly had position but stood his ground and didn't fall down get the call? The refs don't like flops but they won't call a charge unless you fall down.
ramjet
Contributor

Post by ramjet »

how about a 4 point shot from beyond the mid-court line?
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

ramjet wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:16 pm how about a 4 point shot from beyond the mid-court line?
If they make it, do tickets dispense from under the basket to be redeemed at the pro, errrr, fan shop on the way out?
ramjet
Contributor

Post by ramjet »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:33 pm
ramjet wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:16 pm how about a 4 point shot from beyond the mid-court line?
If they make it, do tickets dispense from under the basket to be redeemed at the pro, errrr, fan shop on the way out?
no, the person in front of you get to bitch-slap you ... only you
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

I think that would lead to expulsion from the team these days. Mostly for calling it a BITCH slap
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Get charge block call right is #1.
Call flop technicals more.
Move back 3 point line again.
Call intentional fouls intentional fouls.
30 second time limit on replays.
thekid6
Contributor

Post by thekid6 »

Call technical for 2 or 3 pt shot where offensive player kicks out leg to draw contact
Don't give up, don't ever give up. -Jimmy V
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Teams cannot huddle with coaches during official review. If they do they get a charged timeout. If they don’t have any timeouts they get assessed a technical foul. The teams on the court have to go to the free throw line on the side of the court on the opposite side of their bench during the review. Players can huddle by themselves.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:02 pm For me, I wouldn't touch a single rule until you fix block/charge.

You should never, ever be rewarded with a charge call for jumping into a guy's way. You should never, ever be rewarded with a charge call if you are not actively engaged in defending.
I suppose.
But then instead of grabbing their balls and just waiting for impact, they'll just get set and raise their arms up in a defensive position. There'd be little difference except trying to disguise the intent.

A defender in a defensive position should have the right to establish that spot - even if they weren't the original defender - and even if they just get to that position before getting run into.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:39 am
jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:02 pm For me, I wouldn't touch a single rule until you fix block/charge.

I suppose.
But then instead of grabbing their balls and just waiting for impact, they'll just get set and raise their arms up in a defensive position. There'd be little difference except trying to disguise the intent.

A defender in a defensive position should have the right to establish that spot - even if they weren't the original defender - and even if they just get to that position before getting run into.
Why, exactly? What good is served by having a rule that encourages this dumbass behavior? Increases injury risk, increases stoppages to the game (in a couple ways), increases likelihood that cool players need to go to the bench.

All for what exactly? So that Jimmy from Junction City can say he made the same play in 3A substate?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

So then a secondary defender is not allowed to get into defensive position?
So it's just, well, let's hope you don't get beat by your guy?

This then would be a foul on the defender?

https://videorulebook.nba.com/archive/c ... osition-2/
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:48 am So then a secondary defender is not allowed to get into defensive position?

The link says - both the linked text and the literal link - that this is an example of an on-ball defender drawing a charge.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

thekid6 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:45 pm Call technical for 2 or 3 pt shot where offensive player kicks out leg to draw contact
Yes! That's already a rule, isn't it? But they usually call a foul on the defender
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Right - but that's how they are defining it - as an on ball defender.
Where does that distinction happen?
If the player with the ball gets around the screen at full speed there and the defender is a little tighter up to the screen but still sets himself, and does so a touch later but still gets to the space, is he an on-ball defender?

I do agree that last second step into the player charges need to be minimized but I don't agree that a secondary defender can't establish position in time - i.e. set themselves in the space instead of leaping up for a block.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:21 am
pdub wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:48 am So then a secondary defender is not allowed to get into defensive position?

The link says - both the linked text and the literal link - that this is an example of an on-ball defender drawing a charge.
Defense is supposed to be a team thing. Trying to identify secondary vs on ball is dumb. Makes a team sport an individual sport.

My problem is more with them calling charges when the defender is still moving when the offensive player has already started his jump. Or on plays like the McCullar one where the defender is still moving, which they got right against McCullar but have been regularly fucking up all year on.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:26 am Right - but that's how they are defining it - as an on ball defender.
Where does that distinction happen?
If the player with the ball gets around the screen at full speed there and the defender is a little tighter up to the screen but still sets himself, is he an on-ball defender?

I do agree that last second step into the player charges need to be minimized but I don't agree that a secondary defender can't establish position in time - i.e. set themselves in the space instead of leaping up for a block.
Block/charge is a call on a spectrum (just like a catch in football). The bottom line, for me, is that we should be moving away from the charge as a presumptive call.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I am a fan of more physical basketball.

It doesn't bother me if scores would suffer down to the 60s instead of 70s and 80s ( free throw contests aren't appealing and make the game go on too long ).
So taking some of those charges and blocks out of the game would be just fine - but do it across the board.

I also don't mind a certain level of hand checking or physical play under the basket.

The issue is more the complete inconsistency from one game to another.