Rule Change Ideas

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Rule Change Ideas

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:35 am I am a fan of more physical basketball.

It doesn't bother me if scores would suffer down to the 60s instead of 70s and 80s ( free throw contests aren't appealing and make the game go on too long ).
So taking some of those charges and blocks out of the game would be just fine - but do it across the board.

I also don't mind a certain level of hand checking or physical play under the basket.

The issue is more the complete inconsistency from one game to another.
There's some truth in the jokes about changing the physical call from something fun and cool (for the refs to do) to something mildly embarrassing.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

Four 10-minute quarters so the bonus resets more often
Elam ending to cut down on drawing out the end of games with unnecessary fouls
(looking at you, Scott Drew, who loves to keep fouling down by 12 with 45 seconds left in the game)
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Oh god not the Elam ending.
I might prefer 1 to 4 year contracts and franchise players allowed before that rule change.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

so whaddo we do about the block/charge?

just make it a point of emphasis that says it's, by default, a defensive blocking foul, unless it's plain as day obvious the defender was not only already there and in position, but also trying to make a play on the ball?

or something.

so they can't 1. jump underneath an offensive player already going at the hoop, and 2. can't just stand there grabbing their nuts like a toddler who's gotta pee?
UnholyLivingDead

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:07 am Oh god not the Elam ending.
I might prefer 1 to 4 year contracts and franchise players allowed before that rule change.
I'm so tired of the last 2 minutes of games taking 25 minutes to play because we have to watch guys walk around and shoot 15 free throws. Give me the Elam ending and end that misery, please.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:09 am so whaddo we do about the block/charge?

just make it a point of emphasis that says it's, by default, a defensive blocking foul, unless it's plain as day obvious the defender was not only already there and in position, but also trying to make a play on the ball?

or something.

so they can't 1. jump underneath an offensive player already going at the hoop, and 2. can't just stand there grabbing their nuts like a toddler who's gotta pee?
I'd start by reducing the incentives for the behavior, by not having off-ball charges drawn count toward the other team's personal or team foul limit. If all you "get" for reckless play is a turnover (not a turnover plus), maybe you stop doing it so much.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think this has been both suggested and attempted, but,

is there any way to expedite the official reviews?

especially when it's like, the KU game has already begun, and they haven't switched the ESPN broadcast over yet, cuz the refs are meticulously scrutinizing possession on some out-of-bounds call in, like, an 18 point game with 12 seconds left.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I might consider just doing what I think should be done in the NFL.
No official reviews unprompted.
Something like one challenge by each coach - anything can be challenged - and if the call is reversed, you get to keep that challenge if it's your first challenge.

Live with the imperfections of human officiating. Strategize when it's most egregious or important.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:10 am
I'm so tired of the last 2 minutes of games taking 25 minutes to play because we have to watch guys walk around and shoot 15 free throws. Give me the Elam ending and end that misery, please.
Time is removed then as a factor of entertainment.
The magic of buzzer beaters, the opening weekend OMG moments of the NCAA tourney - gone.
That's a harder than Battletoads on the NES pass from me.
UnholyLivingDead

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:25 am
UnholyLivingDead wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:10 am
Time is removed then as a factor of entertainment.
The magic of buzzer beaters, the opening weekend OMG moments of the NCAA tourney - gone.
That's a harder than Battletoads on the NES pass from me.
I disagree. You don't need time to factor into the entertainment. Teams need to turn it up, get stops, and hit shots rather than just winning a free throw shooting contest. It elevates the potential for more of those moments to happen if teams can step up and do it by playing actual basketball rather than fouling and hoping the other team misses.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I second the Elam ending. It's so much better.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You definitely need time to make those moments as dramatic.
Also it eliminates overtime.
Sorry Mario Chalmers, Brandon Rush and Sherron Collins.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Ew.
Like starting extra innings with a man on 2nd.

This guy is correct:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-ba ... 02clpb7p4c

Very tasty tidbit:

"Tyus Edney didn’t just have to get through the entire Missouri defense in 1995; he had to do it in 4.8 seconds."
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Every game won in Elam ending is ended on a game-winning shot. Exciting enough right there.

Who cares about overtime? The outcome is still the same. But it adds dramatic moments, eliminates extra, unnecessary possessions and like I said, every game ends on a made basket. Not a team missing a half court heave as time expires.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I would not be in favor of using the Elam ending in the NCAA tournament (although I would very much be in favor of doing something to reduce the benefit of fouling late up three).

I absolutely support using the Elam ending during the regular season, perhaps starting with non-con.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'd rather have fouls after 2 minutes automatically be 2 shots and maybe allowing any player who is on the court when the foul occurred to be able to shoot them -- to deter end of game fouling.

I don't mind the drama of having to step up and hit clutch free throws.
( though it certainly hurt this season via Arkansas )
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Maybe there should be scenarios in which the team that is fouled gets to choose between two shots, or one shot and the ball (if the shot is made).
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Elam ending is a gimmick. It is to basketball what the Harlem Globetrotters are to basketball. Why not HORSE or maybe for a longer time, the full name of the home college?

Fouling when up three to prevent the three is part of the strategy, like playing zone defense. Deal with it.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

How about 2 shots and the ball when defense is clearly fouling to stop the clock or prevent a 3 pt attempt? After all, it is an intentional foul and everyone knows it. It's like getting rewarded for breaking a rule.