Rule Change Ideas

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Rule Change Ideas

Post by pdub »

zsn wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:33 pm Elam ending is a gimmick. It is to basketball what the Harlem Globetrotters are to basketball. Why not HORSE or maybe for a longer time, the full name of the home college?

Fouling when up three to prevent the three is part of the strategy, like playing zone defense. Deal with it.
Right.
Why not play the whole game without the clock?
First to 70 wins.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

AlOerter wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:40 pm How about 2 shots and the ball when defense is clearly fouling to stop the clock or prevent a 3 pt attempt? After all, it is an intentional foul and everyone knows it. It's like getting rewarded for breaking a rule.
The issue with this is giving the officials another subjective call.
A player will say they were going for the steal.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:56 pm
zsn wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:33 pm Elam ending is a gimmick. It is to basketball what the Harlem Globetrotters are to basketball. Why not HORSE or maybe for a longer time, the full name of the home college?

Fouling when up three to prevent the three is part of the strategy, like playing zone defense. Deal with it.
Right.
Why not play the whole game without the clock?
First to 70 wins.
UVA games would last 11 hours.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Go to 6 fouls and 4 quarters and I am good. Long term, they need to add a 4th ref on the floor and change their positioning so that they are in better position for the right ref to make the right calls.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

twocoach wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:33 pm Go to 6 fouls and 4 quarters and I am good. Long term, they need to add a 4th ref on the floor and change their positioning so that they are in better position for the right ref to make the right calls.
Would it matter?

So often you see the ref furthest from the play with the worst angle make the call. Hell, many times they over-rule the ref who was closer and had the better angle.

Mjl

Post by Mjl »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:57 pm
AlOerter wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:40 pm How about 2 shots and the ball when defense is clearly fouling to stop the clock or prevent a 3 pt attempt? After all, it is an intentional foul and everyone knows it. It's like getting rewarded for breaking a rule.
The issue with this is giving the officials another subjective call.
A player will say they were going for the steal.
It's better than the status quo. Now the coach tells the ref "we're fouling" and as soon as there's anything that resembles a foul they call it super quickly. That's awful. Fouling as a strategy is a bug in the rules.
Elam ending, calling intentional fouls intentional, whatever and I'm happy Get rid of fouling as a strategy.
Arjhawk

Post by Arjhawk »

NBA games are worse with end of game fouling, but I've always thought the solution was pretty simple. Fouledshooter team gets the choice to shoot or take the ball out of bounds regardless of # of team fouls. Fouled team getting to choose shooter or calling an intentional an intentional are variations on this theme.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Mjl

Post by Mjl »

The alternative is no penalty for just bulldozing through guys.
How the hell is that more safe?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Agree 100 percent. No sliding into charges. 100 percent set or its an automatic block
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

But, to be fair, ja and giannis both tend to be a little reckless the way they go flying through the air attempting to dunk on people

But there are way too many attempted charges. Just play defense
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Mjl wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:00 am The alternative is no penalty for just bulldozing through guys.
Make that a player control foul.

I wouldn't get rid of the charge, I'd get rid of the charge for secondary defenders.

randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Charge needs to exist to some degree. But players definitely take advantage of it now. Instead of actually guarding or trying to block a shot. They just try to slide over and fall down. That isn't basketball
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Mjl wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:00 am The alternative is no penalty for just bulldozing through guys.
It's not. The prospective bulldozees should stop being incentivized to jump in front of guys trying to make basketball plays.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

There is as much at issue from guys pushing into traffic. A lot of teams are just brazenly pushing into traffic waiting for whistles. Especially against Kansas. It has gotten out of control.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:30 pm
Make that a player control foul.

I wouldn't get rid of the charge, I'd get rid of the charge for secondary defenders.
I'd start by at least taking away the incentive, by saying a charge drawn by a secondary defender is a simple turnover (doesn't count toward personal or team foul thresholds).
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I think the main thing is making sure that it's called a block if the offensive player has started their motion that results in the charge. "On the gather" I suppose it's called?

If that is done consistently, charges are only called in cases where it's avoidable by the offensive player. As opposed to getting rid of charges or getting rid of them for secondary defenders, which incentives guys like Lebron to just run people over.
Last edited by Mjl on Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

rules matter little when we’ve still got officials that are so prone to mistakes and unfairness
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I still don't get how you're going to stop a secondary defender from trying to defend.
It's part of basketball.

If they move over and get into a defensive position, and get plowed over, is that an automatic block?
That's not a good solve - that just makes basketball a 1 on 1 game.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:03 pm I still don't get how you're going to stop a secondary defender from trying to defend.
It's part of basketball.

If they move over and get into a defensive position, and get plowed over, is that an automatic block?
That's not a good solve - that just makes basketball a 1 on 1 game.
Try to block the shot.

Basketball isn't about just standing.

Unless you're Landen Lucas.