Rule Change Ideas

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Rule Change Ideas

Post by pdub »

What if the opponent hasn't committed to a shot yet and i've rotated over and am intending to guard?
If I'm standing my ground, arms in guarding position, and I get run over, it's my fault?
Meh.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:12 pm
pdub wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:03 pm I still don't get how you're going to stop a secondary defender from trying to defend.
It's part of basketball.

If they move over and get into a defensive position, and get plowed over, is that an automatic block?
That's not a good solve - that just makes basketball a 1 on 1 game.
Try to block the shot.

Basketball isn't about just standing.

Unless you're Landen Lucas.
It's not standing. It's having defensive awareness, knowing when to help away from your guy, and to get there extremely quickly.

Basketball isn't about just running over people.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Like I said. Player control foul.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I so much prefer to see two players meeting at the rim than one guy sliding over at the last minute after an offensive player beat his man and being rewarded for what amounts to an undercut.

And the ratio of this happening compared to guys getting run over is about 10:1.

I also HATE when a guy makes a pass, turns his head to follow the ball, his momentum carries him forward a couple steps, and some "defender" jumps in front if him, flops, and gets rewarded for a charge.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

The way you describe it doesn't sound like a problem with the charge itself but rather how it's called. I completely agree that it's been called a charge wayyyyyyy too much, like when guys are jumping in front of a player or undercutting them.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:21 pm What if the opponent hasn't committed to a shot yet and i've rotated over and am intending to guard?
If I'm standing my ground, arms in guarding position, and I get run over, it's my fault?
Meh.
Debate over “stand your ground” laws? Take it to the Politics bored.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Mjl wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:35 pm The way you describe it doesn't sound like a problem with the charge itself but rather how it's called. I completely agree that it's been called a charge wayyyyyyy too much, like when guys are jumping in front of a player or undercutting them.
I agree here.
There should be more blocks being called.
( even though maybe not against McCullar v Arkansas…. :/ )
Psychhawk

Post by Psychhawk »

NCAA rules committee proposed change to block/charge call.

If the defender arrives after the offensive player plants a foot to launch toward the basket, officials would be instructed to call a block when contact occurs between the two players.

A secondary defender still would have to be outside the restricted-area arc to legally draw a charge.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Im fine with that.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Yes please