2023 Transfer Portal and NBA Declarations

Kansas Basketball.
AlOerter
Contributor

Re: 2023 Transfer Portal and NBA Declarations

Post by AlOerter »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:17 pm "Hunter Dickinson explains transfer from Michigan to Kansas"

I wanted to be coached by a coach, not a celebrity dipshit.
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner!
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Rumor has is that Zach Clemence might already be coming back to KU.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

InfiniteJ wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:01 pm Rumor has is that Zach Clemence might already be coming back to KU.
Mike Vernon 6/19/23

I’m Hearing KU big man Zach Clemence could return to Kansas and redshirt this coming season in a stunning roster reversal.

This chatter comes as a shock, considering Clemence entered the transfer portal in March and committed to UC Santa Barbara in May. It seemed like both KU and Clemence moved on from each other. I hadn’t Heard his name in a while until looking into a tip from Scoopsmafia on Monday morning.

If Clemence does return, the Jayhawks will have 11 scholarship players, two shy of the maximum at 13. Kansas can still look to add one more player to bolster its roster while chipping away at its self-imposed scholarship reduction.

I’d keep an eye on any quality wings to enter the market as a grad transfer for the final spot… if KU chooses to add one more. As always, I’ll keep you posted. You can support this free newsletter by sending this to your friends. 👇👇👇
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

InfiniteJ wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:01 pm Rumor has is that Zach Clemence might already be coming back to KU.
Maybe he decided that learning to play defense wasn’t so bad after all.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

oh. Cool?

I'd take him back for sure at this point. Dunno if we can do any better for a backup big spot this late in the transfer season. Plus, he knows the system and stuff!

but there's already been questions around his fit in our system and such.

And if you told me we were getting a big with a familiar name who started at a P5 school then transferred to some mid major Cali city university, I'd tell you we already have Parker Braun.

and (cue the guttermeter) man, for our backup bigs to go from Ernest and Zuby, to Zach and Parker Braun...can't decide how much downer pity that is...

anywho, but yea, I'd take him! Does he have to shirt tho cuz of transfer rules, or are we really planning to just save him for next next year?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Is the redshirt required? Where does that part of the rumor come from
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

JKLivin wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:37 pm
Maybe he decided that he might get to play now that Udeh is gone.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Wait where did I see that…nm
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

randylahey wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:12 pm Is the redshirt required? Where does that part of the rumor come from
since he left and committed elsewhere does that count as his 1 free transfer? now he has to sit because its transfer #2?

maybe thay depends on how far the paperwork got? I dunno....the rules....they make no sense anymore
Just Ledoux it
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:19 pm
JKLivin wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:37 pm
Maybe he decided that he might get to play now that Udeh is gone.
There’s also that . . .
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

I believe Clemence entered the portal before Udeh and Zuby. With talented big depth thinned out he may have an opportunity. Immediate eligibility will be the question. If he has to sit out a year who knows who may transfer in or get recruited next year?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:18 am College isn't a place ( or I don't think it is a place ) for you to grow your business.
If you want to grow your business, then just start growing your business, skip college, go pro.
It shouldn't be a job where you're negotiating contracts.

But that's what it clearly is now. And Hunter is the epitome of it. He continues to bring up how he feels slighted by Michigan. And the NIL offers he got here and there. Making his decisions on the future of his business. Hence why I'm not a fan.

For a somewhat kinda in the ballpark analogy, when the NBA changed the rules for contact and scoring, guys like James Harden took advantage. There is no doubt all Harden is doing is being the best at the new environment. I just don't like the new environment. So it'd be like if James Harden was on the Celtics.
Wut? Isn't college where (at least some) people go to gain the necessary skills/experience/degree requirements to enter their career of choice? Hunter is gaining the necessary skills and experience both on and off the court to enter the business of being a professional basketball player. And a professional basketball player's career is more than just what they can do on the court.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Isn't college where (at least some) people go to gain the necessary skills/experience/degree requirements to enter their career of choice?"

Yes.
This is different than growing your business.
You are learning how to begin your business, whatever business that may be.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Where do you draw that line?

How does a student gain skills and experience related to their business, while also making sure they are not actually growing their business?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:18 am "Isn't college where (at least some) people go to gain the necessary skills/experience/degree requirements to enter their career of choice?"

Yes.
This is different than growing your business.
You are learning how to begin your business, whatever business that may be.
So people who go back to school to get a master's degree so that they can grow their careers?

You're just looking for semantics issues from a 21 year old to be annoyed by at this point.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

No.
I just disagree on maybe what you and others think the intent of college is and more specifically the transition to professional basketball in college.

For me, you go to college to learn, not make millions of dollars.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I went to college to party and get chicks.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:26 am I went to college to party and get chicks.
I can tell.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:22 am No.
I just disagree on maybe what you and others think the intent of college is and more specifically the transition to professional basketball in college.

For me, you go to college to learn, not make millions of dollars.
He's learning what needs to be done to be successful at all facets of his chosen career. Learning how to deal with high value contracts and the expectations of said contracts seems to me like it would be a valuable part of learning to be a professional basketball player. History has show that suddenly handing poor college kids tens of millions of dollars with zero training on how to deal with those contracts and the money results in an abnormally high failure rate.

It's just a foreign concept to us because none of us are working towards careers that will have such things to deal with prior to the age of 25. In was an adjustment for most of us just to learn to go to work every day at the same time.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

And getting paid a million dollars while doing so already treating what he does as a profession.
I just don't care for how he presents himself in a situation that I already don't care for.
That's all.

It's the equivalent to me, in the semi pro sports we now follow, to a pro athlete leaving a team and going on and on how he didn't feel respected when it came to contract negotiations and that he had to do right by him and his family etc. I'm not a huge fan of that. But this is just exponentially worse than when pros do it because, you know, they are pros, and we are pretending that college basketball is still schools playing other schools.