We Lost the Battle for the Libertarian Party's Soul Long Ago

Ugh.
japhy
Contributor

We Lost the Battle for the Libertarian Party's Soul Long Ago

Post by japhy »

I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: We Lost the Battle for the Libertarian Party's Soul Long Ago

Post by jfish26 »

japhy wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:08 pm What a bunch of drama queens.

https://reason.com/2021/06/23/inside-th ... ian-party/
This is illustrative of the nihilist MAGA’s approach to institutions: they are there to be co-opted* into vehicles for advancing far right culture war nonsense.

* One might say “weaponized.” Every accusation…
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Of course the liberals accuse them of racism, cuz that is what they always do to their opponents. They won't debate the merit of ideas and policies.

https://reason.com/2022/05/29/mises-cau ... ian-party/
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Nope, nuthin racist to see here.

https://www.rawstory.com/mlk-day/
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Now do one for democrats it'll be epic
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Wait, so you're telling me the angry freedum libertarian ( with a small L ) rubes have been funded/manipulated by the trumpertarians? Say it ain't so!

But this might explain why some "libertarians" spend so much time defending trump.

https://thehill.com/opinion/civil-right ... heres-why/
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

randylahey wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:21 pm Now do one for democrats it'll be epic
Isn’t that your pet project?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

"It is an infantile fantasy of godlike self-sufficiency. "

The fuck you say?

https://andrewkoppelman.com/burning-down-the-house-qa/
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Overlander wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:37 pm
randylahey wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:21 pm Now do one for democrats it'll be epic
Isn’t that your pet project?
ruberandy wrote: Do your own research it’s there if you look
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

The new alt right libertarian manifesto.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyM4uAJBujA
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

the alt right arent libertarians, they just want to rebrand themselves because their brand is failing...
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:25 am the alt right arent libertarians, they just want to rebrand themselves because their brand is failing...
Correct. They're parasites. They'll move from host to host.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

My SIL and BIL are well-armed Libertarian Christo-fascists with no sense of irony: Libertarianism was founded as a joke principle turning the Beatitudes on its head. Blessed are the rich. Etc. Wrecks families.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I would also argue that anyone who could be considered a Christo fascists....or who has strong religion and/or religious requirements or exhibits any fascists leanings. .

again....isn't Libertarian.

This thread is having a hard time distinguishing what libertarian means.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Libertarian has become a weird catch all denomination for anyone on the extremes.....but, that isn't correct.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Agree - but that's sort of what this thread is about. The MAGAs are twisting Libertarian principles (and using their name) to support their push for Christo-fascist autocracy. And actual Libertarians should be pissed!
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:56 pm Agree - but that's sort of what this thread is about. The MAGAs are twisting Libertarian principles (and using their name) to support their push for Christo-fascist autocracy. And actual Libertarians should be pissed!
It's like you read the links before you posted!

good job good post

Randall would prefer you not read the links.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:56 pm Agree - but that's sort of what this thread is about. The MAGAs are twisting Libertarian principles (and using their name) to support their push for Christo-fascist autocracy. And actual Libertarians should be pissed!
I dont know that I'm a true libertarian either...but it is upsetting that people like this are calling themselves libertarian and/or getting lumped in with that group. That is not at all what the platform is or has ever been. In fact I'd say its probably, in theory, the most inclusive platform out there.
Just Ledoux it
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

TDub wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:35 pm
I dont know that I'm a true libertarian either...but it is upsetting that people like this are calling themselves libertarian and/or getting lumped in with that group. That is not at all what the platform is or has ever been. In fact I'd say its probably, in theory, the most inclusive platform out there.
The conservative platform in it's pure form has good points, but the term "conservative" now has been twisted to be MAGA. Part of the MAGA cult has branched off and has now taken over the Libertarian Party as those articles in links describe. They have not only co opted the name of the party, but actually taken over the party structure and turned it into something that does not reflect the original ideals.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

There was never anything to Libertarianism. It was a dodge for people who didn't want to admit they enabled McCarthy or Trump. Koch funded exploitation of people pretending they are freedom seekers. Who deny it to others. Going Galt to spite humanity. Selfishness worship. One can project a lot of things on the label, but Rand created pretty clearly a different religion.