We lost the battle for the democrat party's soul long ago

Ugh.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: We lost the battle for the democrat party's soul long ago

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:23 pm I keep wondering every time someone posts to this thread if the names Menendez or Eric Johnson will be mentioned.

But...nope.

ETA: Credit where it's due: Shriley acknowledged Menendez in the other thread.
I’m not sure what there is to say? Seems to me that the only real open question at the moment is whether he will step down or force his removal?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:50 am
DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:23 pm I keep wondering every time someone posts to this thread if the names Menendez or Eric Johnson will be mentioned.

But...nope.

I’m not sure what there is to say? Seems to me that the only real open question at the moment is whether he will step down or force his removal?
He's already announced that he won't resign.

Schumer and the other senate democrats should do whatever's necessary to get rid of him as quickly as possible, especially because democratic Gov. Phil Murphy of NJ could immediately fill the seat which will be up for election in Nov. '24. And as far as a replacement?

"The mind immediately goes to [U.S. Rep.] Mikie Sherrill,"
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:46 am
jfish26 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:50 am

But...nope.

He's already announced that he won't resign.

Schumer and the other senate democrats should do whatever's necessary to get rid of him as quickly as possible, especially because democratic Gov. Phil Murphy of NJ could immediately fill the seat which will be up for election in Nov. '24. And as far as a replacement?

"The mind immediately goes to [U.S. Rep.] Mikie Sherrill,"
I think it’s more likely than not that he ends up resigning.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

He didn't last time, but I hope you're right.
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

This:

Anand Giridharadas
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Do you suppose they could include SCOTUS in that bill?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

defixione wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:40 pm Do you suppose they could include SCOTUS in that bill?
Not if you take this guy's word for it.

Thankfully, it goes without saying, i.e., "by definition", if you will, he has nothing to gain, either way.

I'm sure...

“I know this is a controversial view, but I’m willing to say it,” Alito said in an interview published in the Wall Street Journal’s opinion section. “No provision in the Constitution gives them the authority to regulate the Supreme Court—period.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Shirley wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:54 pm
defixione wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:40 pm Do you suppose they could include SCOTUS in that bill?
Not if you take this guy's word for it.

Thankfully, it goes without saying, i.e., "by definition", if you will, he has nothing to gain, either way.

I'm sure...

“I know this is a controversial view, but I’m willing to say it,” Alito said in an interview published in the Wall Street Journal’s opinion section. “No provision in the Constitution gives them the authority to regulate the Supreme Court—period.”
From the same article: (It appears not everyone agrees with Justice Alito.)

It is "disturbing that Alito feels the need to insert himself into a congressional debate," Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., said Sunday on CNN's "State of the Union." "And it is just more evidence that these justices on the Supreme Court, these conservative justices just see themselves as politicians."

“No Congressional authority over the Supreme Court—is among the most audacious, absurd, and arrogant of recent Alito misstatements. His head-smacking claim is stunning in saying the Court is answerable to no one,” Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, said in a post on X, the social media platform formerly known as Twitter.

The Senate Judiciary Committee approved legislation earlier this month that would impose a code of ethics on the Supreme Court, which currently has no formal ethics standards. The bill has a next-to-zero chance of passing in the Senate.

“Because ‘we’ve got this’? Not.”, Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, D-R.I., another member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, said on X in response to Alito’s comments.

House Democrats also took to social media to criticize Alito.

“Dear Justice Alito: You’re on the Supreme Court in part because Congress expanded the Court to 9 Justices. Congress can impeach Justices and can in many cases strip the Court of jurisdiction. Congress has always regulated you and will continue to do so. You are not above the law,” Rep. Ted Lieu, D-Calif., a member of the House Judiciary Committee, said on X.

“This view is more than controversial; it’s incorrect. This is coming from a justice who tried to hide the fact that he accepted luxury vacations on private jets,” Rep. Katie Porter, D-Calif., said on X. “As a government official, I welcome the American people holding me accountable—why doesn’t Justice Alito?”

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., shared on X, "Alito’s next opinion piece in the WSJ is about to be 'I am a little king, actually. The Constitution doesn’t explicitly say I’m not.'"
Anand Giridharadas
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Sigh.

https://twitter.com/TomBevanRCP/status/ ... 4371314106

Stunning numbers among Dems in RCOR's new poll on free speech and censorship:

47% of Dems say free speech should be legal 'only under certain circumstances.

34% of Dems say Americans 'have too much freedom'

75% of Dems say government has a responsibility to censor 'hateful' social media posts

Only 31% strongly agree with the statement, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.'
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:19 pm Sigh.

https://twitter.com/TomBevanRCP/status/ ... 4371314106

Stunning numbers among Dems in RCOR's new poll on free speech and censorship:

47% of Dems say free speech should be legal 'only under certain circumstances.

34% of Dems say Americans 'have too much freedom'

75% of Dems say government has a responsibility to censor 'hateful' social media posts

Only 31% strongly agree with the statement, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.'
That's depressing.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Yeah. We should just allow continuous hate speech and disinformation designed to undermine the country pushed by our ememies. Because free speech. We either get a handle on information warfare or there won't be much left to defend. Look at Randy and most wingnuts. They are a pizza conspiracy away from bombing federal buildings. Again.
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

Sparko wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:13 pm Yeah. We should just allow continuous hate speech and disinformation designed to undermine the country pushed by our ememies. Because free speech. We either get a handle on information warfare or there won't be much left to defend. Look at Randy and most wingnuts. They are a pizza conspiracy away from bombing federal buildings. Again.
That's frightening
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Scary? Look at the anti-vax movement. It started as a crank fringe movement. Amplified by a clever social media disinformation strategy it burns as a real public safety threat now. We must be able to protect ourselves by ensuring we don't burn down the information space with health and safety lies harmful to the nation. Fire. Crowded theaters et al. This discussion is really an existential debate in 2023 about protecting the nation and its public welfare from external disinformation and home grown nutty conspiracies. We have proven eminently vulnerable to disinformation en masse. But that is the point of it.

Now I retire to allow some folks the space they need to post more truth-free cut and pasted memes.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

And demanding to execute General Milley is just casual speech. These are weird times.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Sparko wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:40 am And demanding to execute General Milley is just casual speech. These are weird times.
And on the same day as promising to target unfriendly media.

A quarter of the right is actively authoritarian. Half of the right tolerates authoritarianism so long as it serves their short-term interests. And the final quarter is too dim to realize that it's being used by the other 75%.

This is what I meant when I said yesterday, vis a vis claims about Biden's age and capacity, that we'd be better off with a literal vegetable than with Trump.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:18 am we'd be better off with a literal vegetable than with Trump.
I don't necessarily disagree.

I think, however, that it's going to become more and more difficult to make that case with respect to the particular vegetable you have in mind.

Of course, I AM on the record as saying that that vegetable is destined for the compost bin anyway. So...there's that.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:15 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:18 am we'd be better off with a literal vegetable than with Trump.
I don't necessarily disagree.

I think, however, that it's going to become more and more difficult to make that case with respect to the particular vegetable you have in mind.

Of course, I AM on the record as saying that that vegetable is destined for the compost bin anyway. So...there's that.
You're more of a knower than me. One could appreciate the game theory - and, very honestly, the steel - of Biden taking all of these bullets for the purpose of letting the bullets fly and securing a D win by stepping aside.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

What a pos.

I've tried, but don't like him.