Cigars

Coffee talk.
jfish26
Contributor

Cigars

Post by jfish26 »

Sitting around a cigar lounge this afternoon, whiling away a very very rare open Saturday afternoon.

Any other wannabe aficionados?
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Cigars

Post by pdub »

LOL.
Marvelous.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

I'm no expert. Not even a regular.

But Punch Clubs were what I served at professional meetings and an important reception. Great smokes. Never a complaint.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

I once smoked a very expensive Honduran cigar with Larry the Cable Guy. (He bought)
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I'm no cigar guy but I lucked into a pretty good night in San Juan, PR.

Bill Clinton's campaign manager and his right hand man. Cubans (real deal) fine rum.
Defense. Rebounds.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

My colleague, who became a best friend, did a sabbatical year at the Mother Ship in Basel, Switzerland. We camped out at his place for a week in 2009. He scored some amazing Cubans and scotch. Epic evening. Don’t consider myself an aficionado, though.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:55 pm I once smoked a very expensive Honduran cigar with Larry the Cable Guy. (He bought)
Cool story?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Overlander wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:50 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:55 pm I once smoked a very expensive Honduran cigar with Larry the Cable Guy. (He bought)
Cool story?
Not really. Guy's certifiable.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:08 pm
Cool story?
I will never think of LTCG again without thinking of this.
Arguably the best Roast in the history of Roasts.

https://youtu.be/6kBzjvm-Bos

There is no way you can’t see the genius of Greg Giraldo in this.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Cool story?
My Vices/ famous people interaction was probably doing buttons in Joshua Tree with a group of cool guys including Chino Moreno from Deftones and some of the guys from Papa Roach and Hot Water Music band…shortly after my Law Enforcement career came to an abrupt end.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

had a grad student in one of my labs from Cuba who gifted everyone cigars a couple times

i never saw what the fuss was about with cuban cigars in particular. they’re ok, but imo not worth the reputation
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I’ve also had Cubans a couple times, and didn’t notice a huge difference - which makes sense, I don’t think there’s anything geologically or climatologically unique about Cuba?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

the draw of Cubans was the inability to get them due to the embargo right?

wtf is a cigar lounge? sounds like a place a bunch of people Qusdahl hates would get together to figure out to avoid taxes while funneling money to Hunter Dickinson under the guise of helping the under priviledged.
Just Ledoux it
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

I give Fish credit for asking if there are any other "wannabe aficionados".
My father was what I considered to be a novice cigar aficionado. I know, that's pretty much an oxymoron.
Used to smoke in the car when we would go on cross country driving trips. Often with the widows "rolled" UP.

In regards to Cubans, yes there is a difference - that is noticeable in "blind tests" by those who are "aficionados" and some who pretend to be.

On a Cuba side note - My guess is not too many people on here can share a photo of their father with Hemmingway, in Cuba, at the La/El Floridita bar, in 1958.

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

tangent, but i’ve long been a been obsessed with the smell of pipe tobacco
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:25 am the draw of Cubans was the inability to get them due to the embargo right?

wtf is a cigar lounge? sounds like a place a bunch of people Qusdahl hates would get together to figure out to avoid taxes while funneling money to Hunter Dickinson under the guise of helping the under priviledged.
In this case it was a neighborhood coffee shop with a humidor and purification system.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

did ya figure out how to get the civil engineering students more million dollsr advertising gigs with Chevrolet? Between cubans and cappuccinos
Just Ledoux it
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

TDub wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:25 am the draw of Cubans was the inability to get them due to the embargo right?
For a long time, it was the technique/skill of the bunchers and the rollers that supposedly made Cuban cigars superior. I've never (knowingly) smoked a Cuban cigar, though, so I have no idea if they are better.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Overlander wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:38 pm

Cool story?
I will never think of LTCG again without thinking of this.
Arguably the best Roast in the history of Roasts.

https://youtu.be/6kBzjvm-Bos

There is no way you can’t see the genius of Greg Giraldo in this.
The bit about "roasting a made-up character" is both true and untrue. "Larry" is a guy named Dan Whitney who was born and grew up in Nebraska and (after his family moved to Florida) attended a private Christian High School in Palm Beach, where his dad was the principal. He went to UNL, for cripes sake.

That said, he thinks the way you'd expect "Larry" to think.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

imo, Cubans well-deserve their rep. Very smooth, but they'll take the back of your head off before you're halfway thru.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...