The republican War On Women

Ugh.
Shirley
Contributor

The republican War On Women

Post by Shirley »

Amanda Zurawski is one of five women suing the state of Texas for denying them abortions after medical complications arose in their pregnancies: "As a result of what happened to me, I may have been robbed of the opportunity to have children in the future.”

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/ ... wsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/ ... wsrc%5Etfw
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Re: The republican War On Women

Post by jfish26 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:42 pm Seems fine, seems normal.

https://twitter.com/kattenbarge/status/ ... PzNG4aOfKQ
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

They are complete and total assholes. And the cost is very high indulging them. They are here to screw things up.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:57 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:42 pm Seems fine, seems normal.

https://twitter.com/kattenbarge/status/ ... PzNG4aOfKQ
From your link:

Before no-fault divorce was introduced in the late sixties, a spouse had to prove insanity, cruelty, adultery, or neglect — no-fault divorce is a feminist legal gain that helps protect survivors of abuse and anyone who wants a divorce for any reason.

Conservative leaders like J.D. Vance have argued for the end of no-fault divorce and suggested spouses should remain in “maybe even violent” relationships, arguing people will be happier in the long term without divorce.

Vance made those comments at a high school, by the way. Both Tim Pool and Steven Crowder have argued against no-fault divorce, claiming women have a leg up in the legal system — a claim that is demonstrably untrue, especially in family courts, where women are frequently punished.

The comments echo the longtime conservative mantra to return to “traditional values,” something we see in “trad wife” content and the manosphere. These “traditional values” dictate harsh gender roles and heterosexuality for both men and women.

“Traditional values” would also include female abuse victims staying silent and continuing to endure abuse, because the court system maintains impossibly high standards to prove abuse and cruelty for the vast majority of victims.

We’re actually seeing men embrace the language of victimhood in cases of DARVO beyond the usual “she’s crazy,” with the manosphere in particular using anti-Me Too language to champion abusers as victims — but that’s another thread. In the meantime, thank a feminist for divorce.

Thread addition that I didn’t even realize until I looked it up: marital rape was also legal until the seventies, the decade no-fault divorce was introduced. Thank a feminist for the right to deny sex to your spouse!
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Yes. Also from another thread. This is how many MAGAs think.

https://twitter.com/mole_at_mal/status/ ... q_-8Yt1KMA
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

But remember - it’s the Democrat Party that’s trying to control everyone.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

What is a "woman" ?? I thought we could no longer even define that word
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Your cafeteria libertarianism is showing. A real libertarian, by definition, wouldn’t care.

But because you want to impose your own values on others, you care!
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Today In: "Family Values Party"

Donald Trump supporter, pastor, and Patriot Party co-founder, Bill Halle has been accused of having an inappropriate relationship with a 17-year-old child

https://youtu.be/TSLSv-jW49M
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Speaking of, "insurance":

Malpractice Lawsuits Over Denied Abortion Care May Be on the Horizon

A year after the overturning of Roe v. Wade, many physicians and hospitals in the states that have restricted abortion reportedly are refusing to end the pregnanciesopens in a new tab or window of women facing health-threatening complications out of fear they might face criminal prosecution or loss of their medical license.

Some experts predict those providers could soon face a new legal threat: medical malpractice lawsuits alleging they harmed patients by failing to provide timely, necessary abortion care...
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Woo Hoo!

With the two recent SCOTUS decisions against extreme republican gerrymandering, you have to wonder if the federalist justices didn't gain inspiration from former AG William Barr's thinly veiled attempts to whitewash and rehabilitate his reputation, too?

https://twitter.com/marceelias/status/1 ... wsrc%5Etfw
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Looks like someone needed a hug several decades ago:

(Try to ignore the laughing in the background.)

https://twitter.com/HeartlandSignal/sta ... wsrc%5Etfw
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

https://twitter.com/_Mrs_Brody/status/1 ... wsrc%5Etfw

As a side note, Chillicothe is an hour and a half to North Kansas City. Chillicothe‘s representative and now senator voted for the abortion ban and was against Medicaid Expansion. His name is Rusty Black.
Anand Giridharadas
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

"Christian" love is alive and well in Kentucky.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/07/health/k ... index.html
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:29 am "Christian" love is alive and well in Kentucky.

smfh

Pro tip: When politicians insert themselves into clinical situations, it's always the patients who suffer.
Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Feral wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:43 am
jhawks99 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:29 am "Christian" love is alive and well in Kentucky.

smfh

Pro tip: When politicians insert themselves into clinical situations, it's always the patients who suffer.
Every person in tat couple's social circle should have to stand before them and explain why they voted to support that law and be forced to look them in the eye when they realize they weren't just punishing mythical young black women from some other area for being overly promiscuous.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:51 am
Feral wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:43 am

smfh

Every person in tat couple's social circle should have to stand before them and explain why they voted to support that law and be forced to look them in the eye when they realize they weren't just punishing mythical young black women from some other area for being overly promiscuous.
If you start from the position that you are the center of the universe, then this moral/ethical framework makes sense.

In other words, if YOU are what matters, and the very purpose of a moral/ethical framework is to put the things orbiting around YOU in proper order, then the whole "rules for thee, but not for me" thing makes sense; with reference just to our solar system, for example, the Sun doesn't need help staying in the center. The planets need help staying in order around the Sun.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I’m not sure how many people realize that voting based on “stick it to the libs” has other consequences. I’m not insinuating that this couple did that, but the people who created this situation didn’t magically appear in positions of power to perpetrate such cruelty.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

So many of these issues are cut and dried no-brainers until you find yourself having firsthand experience with them.

I was raised in a super-conservative Christian culture, and along with that came the unequivocal "no abortion unless the mother's life is in danger" stance based on the assumption that women would just use abortion as a form of birth control. We were fed stories of miracles that happened when women chose not to abort and the idea that sometimes God's will is just for people to raise profoundly disabled children.

Although I moved more toward a stance that government shouldn't regulate healthcare decisions like that as I grew older, I still felt like abortion was not a right, but an option that people abused for their convenience.

When my wife and I sat and watched the ultrasound of our daughter who was five months along a month ago, I had to start thinking about things in real terms. She had no cerebellum and no corpus callosum, which meant that she would probably never walk or talk and could be blind. She had no nose, which meant that she would deformed for life. Her heart had a serious defect, which meant she would need expensive surgery in order to survive.

The doctors were reluctant to give me the numbers I wanted, but the upshot was that she might die in childbirth or she could survive for years. Forget being able to go to daycare with her older sister. Either my wife or I would have to give up our careers to stay home and care for her full-time. Forget saving for the future. Our income would be spent on in-home nursing, surgeries, and medical equipment. Forget a normal life for my older daughter. You can't take a kid like that on vacations or even go out to dinner, for that matter.

It became clear that abortion was the most merciful option for all involved. We spared our daughter a lifetime - however long that might have been - of pain and suffering on all levels. We gave our older daughter a better chance of having a full, normal life. We spared ourselves the pain of getting attached to a child that we knew could die at any time.

I am thankful that we live in a state where it was relatively easy to get in and have the procedure done. Unlike the propaganda I was fed growing up, the child did not suffer. My wife got an injection on a Tuesday that stopped the baby's heart, and the next day we went in and the fetus was removed.

Was it easy? No. We spent a lot of time crying together both before and since. We grieve the loss of the life we had planned for our daughter. We grieve the pain she may have experienced prior to birth. We grieve the unfairness that we see people all around us who don't want the children they have while we are reluctant to try again. We grieve the fact that our ten month-old may grow up an only child - I have three grown children, but she will rarely see them. We grieve because the loss is real and terrible no matter what the alternative outcomes might be.

My wife spent two hours in pre-op with eight other women waiting to terminate their pregnancies, and she described it as the saddest place she had ever been. Nobody was happy to be there. Nobody was going to walk away unscathed. Nobody should have had the right to make that decision other than them because nobody else will have to live with that experience - an experience that I would not wish on my worst enemy.
Last edited by JKLivin on Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris