The republican War On Women

Ugh.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: The republican War On Women

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Lol, this in the National Review is like reading a blog post written after the Titanic hit the iceberg, but before it sank, about how maybe the shipbuilders should consider greater survivability design.

The Shaming of Julia Mazur Was a Bit Much

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/t ... -bit-much/
[Mazur] posted on TikTok — in which she describes her Saturday as a single, childless woman in her late 20s as consisting of such activities as sleeping in, binge-watching television shows on Netflix, and teaching herself how to make shakshuka — went viral. She closed out the video with a paean to freedom, saying her ability to do essentially whatever she wants makes up for however upset she might be by her not having a husband and children:
I say all this to say, whenever I’m hard on myself about why I’m not married and I don’t have kids and I should be further along at 29 (almost 30), I wouldn’t wanna do anything else this Saturday. I know that you can do all these things when you have kids and you’re married, and I understand, but the effortlessness and ease of my life — just kind of focusing on myself and the shakshuka I wanna make or the Beyoncé concert I wanna go to — really pays off when I’m hard on myself for not being where society tells me I should be in life.
Everything Mazur talks about should seem relatively mundane. She does not have a husband or children, so she doesn’t have the responsibilities that would come with them. It’s a silver lining in a situation she seems to understand might not be ideal. You might think such a video describes pretty basic stuff that is not worth getting worked up about. You’d be wrong.

The Daily Wire’s Matt Walsh posted the TikTok on X on Sunday, writing that Mazur’s “life doesn’t revolve around her family and kids so instead it revolves around TV shows and pop stars. Worst of all she’s too stupid to realize how depressing this is.”

There’s plenty that could be said about the experience of a single, childless woman in her late 20s. I obviously have very little practice being one, so I’ll address something else: the sheer nastiness in Walsh’s post. His attack on a woman who’s simply trying to appreciate what she has in life is emblematic of a broader problem on the right: the conflation of “conservative” with “jerk.” Walsh is by no means the only offender, with many other right-wing influencers solely focusing on “owning the libs.” The “owning” often stoops to bullying.

This is a real problem for conservatism. Over the past decade or so, many elements of what once constituted the movement have crumbled, especially within much of the right-wing media ecosystem. Small government? That’s old-fashioned. Clear, universal ideas of morality? So archaic. A globally engaged United States? That’s “not where the voters are,” and even if it was, America isn’t necessarily the good guy.

Simply owning the libs is not a good way for us to win. The saying “you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar” may be cliché, but it’s cliché for a reason. One only needs to look to national politics to see the impact the Right’s approach could be having on voters. Young women have only become more liberal in recent years, and it’s not far-fetched to say the “trolling” streak in some corners of the Right is a turnoff. More broadly, according to the RealClearPolitics average, only 38.5 percent of Americans have a favorable view of Donald Trump, still the GOP-primary front-runner by a mile and the candidate who is arguably the people’s champion of “owning the libs.” To expand past the base, the American Right needs to ensure “conservative” means more than “jerk.”
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

https://twitter.com/MargieVotes/status/ ... 9732322719

The Center for Medical Progress (deliberately deceptive name)
-sent anti-abortion activists to pose as reps from a fake tissue procurement company.

They infiltrated Planned Parenthood using false drivers licenses, pseudonyms, fake business cards, and brought hidden cameras to pull off their deceptive ploy. They made it all into a video and published it.

David Daleiden - founder of the fraudulent group and Sandra Merritt were indicted and found guilty for multiple felonies.

There was a 6 week trial and among other things they were found liable for fraudulent business practices, and for violating RICO and various federal and state wiretapping laws.
(There’s that RICO charge again)

A jury awarded Planned Parenthood $2.4 million.

This is what Republicans have birthed with their misleading pro-life tag line. More Fraud and RICO acts.

Vote accordingly.

https://twitter.com/MargieVotes/status/ ... 5170756961

https://twitter.com/randomdogginess/sta ... 6953492498
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I genuinely wonder if Kelce/Swift will, in a modestly meaningful degree, push Kansas (and potentially even Missouri) closer to purple. Young people are waking up to their collective power.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:54 pm
I genuinely wonder if Kelce/Swift will, in a modestly meaningful degree, push Kansas (and potentially even Missouri) closer to purple. Young people are waking up to their collective power.
States have changed their spots for worse reasons, I'm sure.
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

the hype about those two is ridiculous

they even did a piece on npr about them

wtf?

i’m gonna laugh if it ends up just being a publicity stunt
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I mean, it's silly. But so was Bill Clinton blowing (lol) on a sax on MTV.

Engagement of young voters has always been a bit of a mystery - but again I think there is reason to believe that young voters have woken up to their power.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Looking forward to our resident human biologists’ “well actually” contribution.

https://x.com/torriangray/status/170714 ... q_-8Yt1KMA
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Is there anything that does not spark anger in magas? You know, other than brown people drowning.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:14 pm

Is there anything that does not spark anger in magas? You know, other than brown people drowning.
99 in brutal mode this late in the day?

#solid
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

But, Biden's old, and Hunter's laptop...

Pregnant with no OB-GYNs around: In Idaho, maternity care became a casualty of its abortion ban

After an Idaho hospital closed its obstetrics department, pregnant women in the county have been left without nearby care. Their OB-GYNs fled the state...

The four OB-GYNs who previously worked at Bonner General, meanwhile, have left Idaho to practice in states where abortion is legal. All four told NBC News that the state’s ban contributed to their decisions to move.

...Laura Olin, 32, lives in the city of Sandpoint, where Bonner General is, and gave birth to her twin boys at the hospital in 2020. When she became pregnant again, she opted to deliver her daughter in Spokane, Washington — 90 minutes away — in August.

As the reality of doing the drive while in labor set in, she said, “it was very scary those last few weeks of pregnancy.”

It made her think differently about her previous birth experience, Olin added. “To go into labor at home and arrive at the hospital five minutes later was a blessing that I didn’t know was a blessing,” she said...

Research has shown that women who lack access to hospitals with obstetrics care are more likely to face health consequences, including a higher risk of preterm birth, which is associated with asthma, hearing loss, intellectual disabilities and other lifelong impacts for children. An analysis published in 2019 found that rural residents had a 9% greater chance of maternal morbidity and mortality compared to urban residents, in part because of limited access and longer travel times to obstetrics care. (Women of color had at least 33% higher odds of those negative outcomes than white women regardless of where they lived, according to the research.)...
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Let’s Go Ohio!

(Kansas did it!)
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Praise the Lord DeSanctimonius this baby was born. This will probably be a much better blessed outcome for everyone involved than if the child momma had an abortion.
PALATKA, Fla. (WFLA) — A woman made a shocking discovery Sunday night when she came across a newborn baby in the backyard of a Florida home.

The Palatka Police Department said in a Facebook post Tuesday that officers were called to a home on North 17th Street around 12:40 a.m. after the baby was found.

According to the department, when officers arrived, they determined that the baby, which was wrapped in a blanket, had just been born, as the umbilical cord was still attached to the baby and the newborn wasn’t clothed.

Emergency medical personnel were called and immediately took the infant to a nearby hospital. Authorities said the baby is in stable condition and doing well.

According to police, the woman told officers that she didn’t know where the baby came from or who put the child in the yard.

Police said physical evidence from the scene indicates the child was born inside of the home. Officials determined that a 15-year-old girl who lives in the home gave birth to the baby.
Sadly I think we are re-entering a new/old era of desperate mothers doing dangerously desperate things.

GOD BLESS AMERICA and GOD BLESS the self ethical reviewing SUPREME COURT!
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i thought i read somewhere that abortions have actually increased since Row was overturned
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Get 'em while you can!

Supply is limited!
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.