Kansas Basketball.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Re: GTFO Arterio Morris

Post by DCHawk1 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:37 am
DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:31 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:28 am

I think it is the nature of the pool of players they are fishing in, not a knock on Self specifically. I think that both football and basketball has a higher percentage of humans more prone to these types of situations than the general pool of humans in that age range.
Tell me more.
Maybe when I have more time to sit down and carefully craft my response. If I did it now, it would be rushed and not have my whole attention. I have to roll out to an appointment in about 20 minutes and need to get a few more work things done prior to that. My response isn't some Jimmy The Greek style response if that's what you're fishing for.
Not fishing for anything. Just curious where you were going.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Shirley wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:44 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:49 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:22 am
Huh? Because he gave a kid a second chance and the kid fucked it up? That's absurd.

If he pretended that Morris did nothing and continued to participate with the team as if nothing had happened then I feel it would be appropriate to ask that question.
The friend wasn't just referring to this single incident. Let's be honest here, Self has had more than his fair share of shit happen during his tenure at KU. Now one of his players ALLEDGEDLY raped a woman in the Basketball dorm? As my friend basically implied, when is enough enough/too much?
No matter how you, or I, or anyone else chooses to slice it, it's yet ANOTHER real bad look for the Basketball program and the University during the Bill Self era.
Tell us your friend is a Duke* fan, without telling us...

*UK, UNC...
30 something year old Indian (Asian) who was raised in Milwaukee and went to school at Marquette.
I have friends and co-workers who have ripped on Self and the Basketball program before this happened. I’m assuming most out of jealousy but they aren’t wrong that as I said, there is a lot of shit that has happened during the Self era. Denying and ignoring it doesn’t make it less true.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

mjl2 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:14 pm Self and the program did nothing wrong or negligent.
You very well may be right but I'm pretty sure that's an assumption. Unless you know for sure that's true. Maybe you do. Do you?
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:25 pm

Not fishing for anything.
bummer
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

pdub wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:12 pm Please, no poli talk here.
Please.
What about Taylor Swift?
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:46 pm
mjl2 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:14 pm Self and the program did nothing wrong or negligent.
You very well may be right but I'm pretty sure that's an assumption. Unless you know for sure that's true. Maybe you do. Do you?
Do you have any evidence that it's not true?
Yes, I assume people are innocent if there is no evidence that they are guilty.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

randylahey wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:01 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:16 am Friend just texted me asking how/why Self still has a job at Kansas and what needs to happen for the school to boot him. Not a bad/unfair question.
While I think it's doubtful, there is of course the possibility this could be the end for Self - if Morris is found guilty.
I always thought you were fearful and a pessimist. But holy shit. This was a real conversation?
I've had you on ignore/"foe" but this was a sports post so I felt a desire to read it.

Yes, this is how the conversation began. Note, Varun is my Indian friend and the other person in the "group" is my friend Leo who is a UT alum. That's partially why I made the comment about Morris' past. Leo knew about it. Varun did not. When Leo learned Morris was transferring to KU he said - "Now he's your problem". Talk about foresight.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Going forward, I do hope Self and staff might scrutinize red flags a little more.

Dumb kid stuff like bongs is one thing, but DV, gross!
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

mjl2 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:51 pm
Nope. I have no evidence whatsoever.
Nor do I know what if any possible liability Self may have.
I assume people aren't guilty of something that haven't been accused of too.
I'm not assuming Self was involved and I am not assuming he did anything wrong or was negligent.
I am questioning what if any liability he MAY have. It's very possible (probable?) none. I hope for his and KU's sake that's the case - that he did nothing wrong or negligent and that he has zero liability for what ALLEGEDLY happened.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sorry, but your friend Varun is kinda a moran.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -underway/
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

With 18-22 year old college kids, there is always a chance they do something stupid and get in trouble
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

So I'm not sure why selfs name is even getting brought up. He knew arterio had made mistakes in the past. All he was hoping for was that we could get a season or 2 out of him where he didn't get in trouble, and his basketball talent could impact our program
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

pdub wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:16 pm Sorry, but your friend Varun is kinda a moran.

About KU and Self, sure. He'll probably agree with you.
About other things (such as finance and investing) he's pretty gosh darn smart. I'm going to go out on a limb and say I think he's probably smarter than Arterio Morris about most things.
Last edited by RainbowsandUnicorns on Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

randylahey wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:34 pm With 18-22 year old college kids, there is always a chance they do something stupid and get in trouble
Absolutely. But..... It shouldn't be too much to expect them not to rape (ALLEDGEDLY) a woman.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:55 pm
randylahey wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:01 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:16 am Friend just texted me asking how/why Self still has a job at Kansas and what needs to happen for the school to boot him. Not a bad/unfair question.
While I think it's doubtful, there is of course the possibility this could be the end for Self - if Morris is found guilty.
I always thought you were fearful and a pessimist. But holy shit. This was a real conversation?
I've had you on ignore/"foe" but this was a sports post so I felt a desire to read it.

Yes, this is how the conversation began. Note, Varun is my Indian friend and the other person in the "group" is my friend Leo who is a UT alum. That's partially why I made the comment about Morris' past. Leo knew about it. Varun did not. When Leo learned Morris was transferring to KU he said - "Now he's your problem". Talk about foresight.

Miss you too
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:06 pm
mjl2 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:51 pm

Nope. I have no evidence whatsoever.
Nor do I know what if any possible liability Self may have.
I assume people aren't guilty of something that haven't been accused of too.
I'm not assuming Self was involved and I am not assuming he did anything wrong or was negligent.
I am questioning what if any liability he MAY have. It's very possible (probable?) none. I hope for his and KU's sake that's the case - that he did nothing wrong or negligent and that he has zero liability for what ALLEGEDLY happened.
Are we down to one liar here now that Leawood (RIP) and CnB are gone?

To me, I don't see how there is liability if there is no negligence
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:49 am give him a free pass. "society made him do it"
Huh? Are you referring to Morris? Well, your critical reading skill suck everywhere else so I guess I shouldn't be that surprised.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:25 pm
twocoach wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:37 am
DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:31 am
Tell me more.
Maybe when I have more time to sit down and carefully craft my response. If I did it now, it would be rushed and not have my whole attention. I have to roll out to an appointment in about 20 minutes and need to get a few more work things done prior to that. My response isn't some Jimmy The Greek style response if that's what you're fishing for.
Not fishing for anything. Just curious where you were going.
I just feel like there is a disproportionately higher volume of elite athletes who are overly aggressive, self-absorbed, egocentric, narcissists who have been allowed to get away with treating others, especially women, like things they are simply allowed to treat however they want. They spend their lives being told that they should go out there and get what they want. Many of these players end up with a support system that enables them to feel like they are entitled to do that off the field as well as on it.

If that player also happens to come from a home where they have not been around healthy relationships where women are treated as humans deserving of an equal amount of respect then it feels like situations like this are going to happen far more times than they should (which is never).

Some roles/jobs/activities require you to be extremely aggressive, self-absorbed, egocentric and narcissistic. It's hard to imagine being an elite athlete, an elite actor, an elite politician without at least some of those traits. When pointed in the right direction they can be the difference between good and great. But those traits have side effects where when pointed in the wrong direction, they can be the end of your career and lead to horrible consequences on those around you.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

nice post
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:55 pm
pdub wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:16 pm Sorry, but your friend Varun is kinda a moran.

About KU and Self, sure. He'll probably agree with you.
About other things (such as finance and investing) he's pretty gosh darn smart. I'm going to go out on a limb and say I think he's probably smarter than Arterio Morris about most things.
I’m sure he’s smart about those things.
He is a moran for asking that.
Self won a title just a couple seasons ago. I’m guessing whatever basketball program Varun cheers for ( jaded Illinois, faded Duke ) would kill to have Self as coach regardless of blemishes.