MVP

Kansas Basketball.
NewtonHawk11

Re: MVP

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Especially a kid who almost quit basketball multiple times, including when Tarik Black dunked on him so hard that he went to Self to leave during his season here at Kansas.

Plus, it's even more of a case to put his name and number in the rafters.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:23 pm Plus, it's even more of a case to put his name and number in the rafters.
AFH's rafters?
Because if so, miss me times one billion with that.

6'ers rafters?
Hell ya.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I think it would be cool to honor him somehow in Allen fieldhouse. If he came back for a game on all star break.

But his jersey does NOT belong in the rafters. Let Philly do that. Pdub 1000% right
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:37 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:23 pm Plus, it's even more of a case to put his name and number in the rafters.
AFH's rafters?
Because if so, miss me times one billion with that.

6'ers rafters?
Hell ya.
Well, in a roundabout way, I believe this nearly 100% assures that his name WILL be in the rafters. But in 15 years or so.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Embiid played one season at ku. averaged 11 pts and 8 rebounds
The team went 25-10 and lost in the 2nd round if the ncaa tourney

What about that says hang his jersey
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Rafters is more of a recruiting tool than a accomplishments tool IMO.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

It would be ridiculous to hang Embiids jersey in AFH
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:06 pm Embiid played one season at ku. averaged 11 pts and 8 rebounds
The team went 25-10 and lost in the 2nd round if the ncaa tourney

What about that says hang his jersey
That’s not what I said.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:07 pm Rafters is more of a recruiting tool than a accomplishments tool IMO.
Correct. But still. Just keeping his famous put back dunk in the pregame intro video would accomplish the same thing
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It makes zero sense to hang his jersey for what he does in the NBA to me.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:35 pm It makes zero sense to hang his jersey for what he does in the NBA to me.
Yeah, but the North wall is very much in play. For Wiggs, too (lower probability, but).
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

he would instantly go to the top of the list of "least deserving name in the AFH rafters."
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

perhaps the AD/University should consider an update to the Phog complex, which explicitly highlights successes outside of the college game (players and coaches)…be it Olympic, NBA or otherwise?

i actually think, if done right, it could be really cool and highlight the global impact of KU basketball
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Make an entire pro section in the halls or in the Booth museum.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:08 pm Make an entire pro section in the halls or in the Booth museum.
I think there is that already. There are ALSO banners listing names of Naismith Hall of Famers (of which Embiid will now almost certainly be) and Olympians (has Wiggs already been? if not, he may well be).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

There might be but I was just there and it wasn’t clear.

Make it more obvious.
But in the inner fieldhouse, what you do as a pro shouldn’t matter, just what you did while you were at Kansas.

Embiid barely did anything.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:17 pm There might be but I was just there and it wasn’t clear.

Make it more obvious.
But in the inner fieldhouse, what you do as a pro shouldn’t matter, just what you did while you were at Kansas.

That's fine, but now you're getting into the business of saying that banners that have been there for decades should be moved out. I think Naismith HOF and Olympics banners, with lists of names, are perfectly acceptable places for Jayhawks (who do cool shit after KU) to be honored. Without diluting the individual (Jayhawk) honor of making the South rafters.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:12 pm
pdub wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:08 pm Make an entire pro section in the halls or in the Booth museum.
I think there is that already. There are ALSO banners listing names of Naismith Hall of Famers (of which Embiid will now almost certainly be) and Olympians (has Wiggs already been? if not, he may well be).
is it in the “new” addition with the Rules?

i’ve only had a single opportunity to explore it in person and in detail, and don’t recall much aside from the Rules
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:17 pm There might be but I was just there and it wasn’t clear.

Make it more obvious.

aside from “hurting” his back, you mean
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:25 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:12 pm
is it in the “new” addition with the Rules?

i’ve only had a single opportunity to explore it in person and in detail, and don’t recall much aside from the Rules
I think there's stuff in the Hall of Athletics and in the...East hallway on the lower concourse?