WELCOME HUNTER DICKINSON

Kansas Basketball.
DeletedUser

Re: WELCOME HUNTER DICKINSON

Post by DeletedUser »

randylahey wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:03 pm
Guess who's freshman stats these are:

10 mpg, 3.3 pts, 1.5 assists
Not any of the freshman guard lotto picks around the country I am guessing?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Hard to believe Elmarko was ranked ahead of Rob Dillingham and that Reed Sheppard was ranked near Jamari McDowell.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:10 pm
randylahey wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:03 pm
Guess who's freshman stats these are:

10 mpg, 3.3 pts, 1.5 assists
Not any of the freshman guard lotto picks around the country I am guessing?
I'm hoping it's a reasonably instructive example, and not an outlier offered as a rule.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:57 am I think the point has to do with spacing.
Yea, this was my takeaway too.

They’re so keyed on Hunter. Help on both sides ready to double/triple team. Every defender within a step of the paint, daring everyone on the perimeter. Just a screenshot but the guy defending Dajuan HAS HIS BACK TO HIM. Like facing the complete opposite direction while also several steps off
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Some fucking Baylor guard like LJ Cryer or something.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:47 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:57 am I think the point has to do with spacing.

They’re so keyed on Hunter. Help on both sides ready to double/triple team. Every defender within a step of the paint, daring everyone on the perimeter. Just a screenshot but the guy defending Dajuan HAS HIS BACK TO HIM. Like facing the complete opposite direction while also several steps off
I guess?
This is a snapshot though in the defense to where Houston, the best defensive team in the country, is attacking Hunter and taking a risk he'll get caught in a double and not be able to even pass it back out to Dajuan.

Sure Dajuan isn't much of a 3 point threat. We all can agree. I'm not certain this single frame of a ball game where we got trounced at every level is doing anything to further prove that point.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:54 pm

I guess?
This is a snapshot though in the defense to where Houston, the best defensive team in the country, is attacking Hunter and taking a risk he'll get caught in a double and not be able to even pass it back out to Dajuan.

Sure Dajuan isn't much of a 3 point threat. We all can agree. I'm not certain this single frame of a ball game where we got trounced at every level is doing anything to further prove that point.
Which does, though, get to why Harris' 3P% is a bit misleading as to the effect it has on defenses.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea, Dajuan only shoots if he’s wide open, and the thing is he’s wide open often, cuz the thing is defenses don’t even bother guarding him, cuz the thing is he’s not a good shooter.

Pair that with KJ “never made a single 3 literally ever” and I just dunno how good I feel about the 24/25 lineup thread without maybe just blowing it up anyway.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Because DH had just passed the ball to HD. So the defender was challenging the pass and playing help defense on HD.

They are the same distance away from ALL of our perimeter players.

They're not turning their back on and ignoring DH as a strategy (any more than they do with any of our other players) like you're trying to say.

This season 3pt shooting % of those pictured:

DH = 38.5%
KM = 33.3%
NT = 28.9%
Kj = 0.0%

Other notable 3pt %s:

JF = 36.4%

DH outside shooting isn't the problem. He's taking 2.1 3pt attempts per game and has the best 3pt % of the rotation players.

If you'd have spun that to point out Kj's positioning then maybe you'd have looked smarter.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:59 pm Yea, Dajuan only shoots if he’s wide open
That's not a bad thing.

NONE of our players shoot well when closely guarded.

NONE of our players can get their own shot and finish at a high %. HD can shoot it whenever, he just misses the important ones. And KM can get a shot whenever he wants but he's highly inefficient.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Kj and Furphy and Timberlake all have to have their scoring opportunities in the half court created for them.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:07 pm
NONE of our players can get their own shot and finish at a high %. HD can shoot it whenever, he just misses the important ones. And KM can get a shot whenever he wants but he's highly inefficient.
Since the injury.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DH outside shooting is absolutely a problem. Among several problems.

It's his release point/shooting motion. He simply cannot get a shot off from distance unless he has that gap of space.

Kevin, Furphy and Timberlake don't shoot it the same and can get their shot off with more pressure in their face ( though a lot of Furphy's threes have been fairly open this season ). Kevin has done it a good amount this season actually.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:10 pm
Since the injury.
I think it was always reasonable to assume he'd come back to reality from the hot start to the season. Not this much, and absolutely impacted by whatever injury is going on, but some.

He's never been a good outside shooter. He's at 33.3% in the midst of an injury/cold streak and it's still his best 3pt shooting % on a season of his career.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He was shooting 37% from 3 before his injury so not fantastic but considering some of the attention he was getting, respectable.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:24 pm He was shooting 37% from 3 before his injury so not fantastic but considering some of the attention he was getting, respectable.
And high volume.

I still don't watch him shoot and think he's as good as Och CB or JW.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:17 pm
pdub wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:10 pm
Since the injury.
I think it was always reasonable to assume he'd come back to reality from the hot start to the season. Not this much, and absolutely impacted by whatever injury is going on, but some.

He's never been a good outside shooter. He's at 33.3% in the midst of an injury/cold streak and it's still his best 3pt shooting % on a season of his career.
Yeah. I'm thrilled for his season and how much it improved his long term personal outlook. However, I have a hard time ascribing the recent slump to just injury.

I do wonder - and lord knows we'll have a long offseason - why Remy and Kevin (or, for that matter, ALL of our OADs, even including Gradey!) get treated/thought-of so differently from Hunter.

He brings a lot on himself, no doubt. But he also appears to be the chosen avatar for general angst and dissatisfaction with change, based (in part at least) on things he did not do/does not control.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:28 pm
pdub wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:24 pm He was shooting 37% from 3 before his injury so not fantastic but considering some of the attention he was getting, respectable.
And high volume.

I still don't watch him shoot and think he's as good as Och CB or JW.
Jalen shot 43% from the field last season. And 33.7% from 3.
At higher volume than McCullar.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

It's a culmination of things with HD I think. Some his fault, some not his fault.

Especially because guys like PDub and TDub aren't usually the ones to dislike any of our players typically. At least not that I remember, unless a specific player was involved in off court stuff that warranted the dislike.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:30 pm
I do wonder - and lord knows we'll have a long offseason - why Remy and Kevin (or, for that matter, ALL of our OADs, even including Gradey!) get treated/thought-of so differently from Hunter.
Because Kevin was actually 1st team AA quality on Kansas at one point.
This includes being a lock down defender.