Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: WELCOME HUNTER DICKINSON

Post by pdub »

digitalkookie wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:22 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:19 pm
pdub wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:51 pm

From what i've seen, no on the Cole Aldrich, not on the defensive end.
Aldrich won B12DPOY 2 years in a row.
Yeah, Aldrich isn’t the right comp. I think Wayne in a bigs-shoot world might be closer.
I don't think there is a proper comparison given we've never had a big who was a legitimate threat from outside
Dedric.
Perry.
Morris twins to a point.

But Dickinson is 7 foot 1.
So, that's something different than any of those dudes.
digitalkookie

Post by digitalkookie »

pdub wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:24 pm
digitalkookie wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:22 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:19 pm

Yeah, Aldrich isn’t the right comp. I think Wayne in a bigs-shoot world might be closer.
I don't think there is a proper comparison given we've never had a big who was a legitimate threat from outside
Dedric.
Perry.
Morris twins to a point.

But Dickinson is 7 foot 1.
So, that's something different than any of those dudes.
Exactly
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

I’m sure he’ll be fine at KU. Better than fine. Perhaps wowzie good.

And I know NIL and transfer monies is just the new normal, but it feels so icky.

And HD, for some reason, probably related to the icky I feel related to this process now, seems like he might cause cohesion problems. I have no reason to believe that other than a gut feeling.

So, here’s to hoping he’s full 2023 4k or VR HD, and not that 720i plasma crap we got in 2007.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:28 pm I’m sure he’ll be fine at KU. Better than fine. Perhaps wowzie good.

And I know NIL and transfer monies is just the new normal, but it feels so icky.

And HD, for some reason, probably related to the icky I feel related to this process now, seems like he might cause cohesion problems. I have no reason to believe that other than a gut feeling.

So, here’s to hoping he’s full 2023 4k or VR HD, and not that 720i plasma crap we got in 2007.
It’s not so different from the recruitment derbies for nearly all of our one and dones. That’s what this is, just more ready.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

I understand your point, but don’t agree with it in totality.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:28 pm
I feel the same.
Difficult to get excited even though I know we're better with him.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

pdub wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:39 pm
Back2Lawrence wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:28 pm
I feel the same.
Difficult to get excited even though I know we're better with him.
If TmCats would stop and read a lot of our posts, perhaps he could engage us in a normal ‘rivaled’ fan manner, and not his specific brand of vitriol.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

all he asked was "how much did we pay for him?"

what exactly is wrong with that. we all know why he came to lawrence. we all know how this transaction went down.

what exactly is wrong with asking how much we paid.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
surly

Post by surly »

i asked a simple question to wit some of you go all bananas. why? it seems to me we should just get on with it and dispense with college eligibility altogether. allow pros to play at college or in the league. stop with the charade that this has anything to do with "student" because clearly it does not. it's about winning sports. colleges are in competition with one another and the pros now. hunter could have a 10-year career in lawrence.
Last edited by surly on Thu May 04, 2023 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:47 pm all he asked was "how much did we pay for him?"

what exactly is wrong with that. we all know why he came to lawrence. we all know how this transaction went down.

what exactly is wrong with asking how much we paid.
We actually don't know this is the case, despite you perpetually miserable posters repeating it as fact.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

No Mich, asking the size of his contract is a different insinuation and purposeful word choice than wondering how much we paid him. Or acknowledging that it’s the normal first, but he’s still curious.

Your last three sentences, absolutely 100% agree are benign and we are all curious about.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

pdub wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:55 pm
KUTradition wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:49 pm honest question (perhaps without a knowable answer): can KU really offer better NIL options than uk?
I'm sure David Booth, bathing in stock profits, can drop a 500k to a million every season.
Even within Lawrence, we have a very powerful booster program.
I'm guessing we didn't offer more than Kentucky, but probably matched them.

I do think that if those are even that playing with Juan would possibly be the main differentiator.

All completely speculation, of course.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Biggest dood in the KU Self era, nice!

(Meanwhile, Zuby must be pacing nervously…)
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

surly wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:50 pm i asked a simple question to wit some of you go all bananas. why? it seems to me we should just get on with it and dispense with college eligibility altogether. allow pros to play at college or in the league. stop with the charade that this has anything to do with "student" because clearly it does not. it's about winning sports. colleges are in competition with one another and the pros now.
This I all agree with. And it’s icky to me. I wish o could believe your question, the way you phrased it, wasn’t a jab. If it wasnt, so be it. Maybe play nice more often and your intentions might possibly someday be considered pure.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

up until about 3 hours ago we all knew what it was going to take to get hd to lawrence. now that he is here. you all have amnesia.

that's ok. enjoy it while it lasts. because this wild wild west. come and go as they please. up for the highest bidder. way of doing things ain't gonna last. the man will see to that.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

I think his decision was as much about the style of play and mix of teammates as it was about nil. Self is such a genuine dude when he talks to you and he loves to pound it in the paint. Dejuan is the perfect point guard for a guy like HD.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

AlOerter wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:06 pm I think his decision was as much about the style of play and mix of teammates as it was about nil. Self is such a genuine dude when he talks to you and he loves to pound it in the paint. Dejuan is the perfect point guard for a guy like HD.
I think you could name 2 million reasons he chose us
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:10 pm
AlOerter wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:06 pm I think his decision was as much about the style of play and mix of teammates as it was about nil. Self is such a genuine dude when he talks to you and he loves to pound it in the paint. Dejuan is the perfect point guard for a guy like HD.
Not my money. And not like it's affecting ticket prices or anything like that.

Me, I think it's rad that he's playing here instead of riding a two-way contract.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:14 pm
TDub wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:10 pm
Not my money. And not like it's affecting ticket prices or anything like that.

Me, I think it's rad that he's playing here instead of riding a two-way contract.
yea.....I know how you feel about it all.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It's like Major League Baseball!
No salary caps, "not my money".
We gotta integrate a trade deadline though. What if a guy like Morris isn't panning out by January? Can we offer him, Zuby and a future recruit for Cryer?