WELCOME HUNTER DICKINSON

Kansas Basketball.
randylahey

Re: WELCOME HUNTER DICKINSON

Post by randylahey »

hasbeen wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:16 pm
randylahey wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:10 pm Honestly, a slightly taller healthy David McCormack might be the better KU big man comparison lol
Has anyone ever told you that you're insane?
His ceiling is a good college player with nice touch and post moves, not a great defender. Decent rebounder. Not an NBA athlete. Hes taller. The comparison is not as far off as you think. Part of my point is there isn't a player at ku that similar to him. And McCormack might be the closet as far as centers go
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

his decision did not come down to KANSAS or a two way contract.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:57 pm up until about 3 hours ago we all knew what it was going to take to get hd to lawrence. now that he is here. you all have amnesia.

that's ok. enjoy it while it lasts. because this wild wild west. come and go as they please. up for the highest bidder. way of doing things ain't gonna last. the man will see to that.
Wut? Everyone understands that NIL plays a part in it. But Surly's insinuation (which admittedly I filter through his years long history of bashing Kansas as a repulsive, corrupt program on a large number of platforms and message boards) is that it is the ONLY reason he would come to KU.

Which of Dickinson's options has the best coach and staff? Kansas
Which of Dickinson's options has the best facility? Kansas
Which of Dickinson's options has the best roster? Kansas
Which of Dickinson's options has the best fit for his playing style? Kansas
Which of Dickinson's options has the best chance to contend for a natty with Dickinson's addition? Kansas

Every program likely offered Dickinson a big bag of cash. I doubt Kansas offered more than any other suitor. So was it NIL that brought him to Kansas? No, probably not. All NIL likely did was keep Kansas on his list.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I wouldn't be surprised if Kansas was at the top of the list if not 2nd to Kentucky in terms of the money he'll get but I agree with your other questions as tie breakers.

But disagree with 'was it NIL that brought him to Kansas'.
Yes. I think it's probably number one on the list with a number of other important reasons.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:22 pm his decision did not come down to KANSAS or a two way contract.
Was he going to get a guaranteed NBA contract? That's not a projection I'd seen.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:33 pm
MICHHAWK wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:22 pm his decision did not come down to KANSAS or a two way contract.
Was he going to get a guaranteed NBA contract? That's not a projection I'd seen.
He's going to say it came down to Maryland, Georgetown, Kentucky and more. He doesn't fully get what you are saying, I think.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

randylahey wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:22 pm
hasbeen wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:16 pm
randylahey wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:10 pm Honestly, a slightly taller healthy David McCormack might be the better KU big man comparison lol
Has anyone ever told you that you're insane?
His ceiling is a good college player with nice touch and post moves, not a great defender. Decent rebounder. Not an NBA athlete. Hes taller. The comparison is not as far off as you think. Part of my point is there isn't a player at ku that similar to him. And McCormack might be the closet as far as centers go
I read a blurb on the Athletic talking a little bit about why Dickinson didn't just declare for the NBA draft; apparently NBA scouts have concerns about his mobility and how he would fare defensively.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

surly playing innocent is hilarious

mich saying dumb shit is predictable
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ChicagoHawk

Post by ChicagoHawk »

If you think college basketball in the NIL era is so "icky", I would like to gently suggest that you stop watching and engaging with it so that reasonable people don't have to listen to you bitch.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

twocoach wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:26 pm Wut? Everyone understands that NIL plays a part in it. But Surly's insinuation (which admittedly I filter through his years long history of bashing Kansas as a repulsive, corrupt program on a large number of platforms and message boards) is that it is the ONLY reason he would come to KU.

Which of Dickinson's options has the best coach and staff? Kansas
Which of Dickinson's options has the best facility? Kansas
Which of Dickinson's options has the best roster? Kansas
Which of Dickinson's options has the best fit for his playing style? Kansas
Which of Dickinson's options has the best chance to contend for a natty with Dickinson's addition? Kansas

Every program likely offered Dickinson a big bag of cash. I doubt Kansas offered more than any other suitor. So was it NIL that brought him to Kansas? No, probably not. All NIL likely did was keep Kansas on his list.
Your post is right on the money. I agree with all the above.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ChicagoHawk wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:21 pm If you think college basketball in the NIL era is so "icky", I would like to gently suggest that you stop watching and engaging with it so that reasonable people don't have to listen to you bitch.
Got bad news for you - it's my site brah.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ChicagoHawk wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:21 pm If you think college basketball in the NIL era is so "icky", I would like to gently suggest that you stop watching and engaging with it so that reasonable people don't have to listen to you bitch.
I highly don't like this take.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

College basketball is changing in a way that feels wrong. Less love of the game and more pursuit of money. But. I think the quality of college basketball will improve, because it'll keep better players in college longer
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

The surefire nba guys will still leave as soon as they can or course. But some of the fringe guys, that risk falling to the 2nd round, going undrafted, having to play g league or overseas, are going to stay in college where they know there is a spot for them. And they'll be able to make as good or better money than risking the unknown
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Mjl wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:48 pm
yea, its pretty terrible.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't doubt the product, if we are simply talking about just the minutes on the basketball court, is better with allowing fat bags to be dropped to keep players in 'college'.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

TDub wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:57 pm
He did say gently though.
That was nice.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

Good fucking lord, Kansas signs the #1 transfer in the portal, a guy that fits Bill's style for a big man. The type of big man that helps Self's offense run as efficiently as possible, a guy Self badly wanted. And the conversation has devolved into a bunch of WW2 era born dorks bitching about how KU got him.

Please get hobbies.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

pdub wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:47 pm
Got bad news for you - it's my site brah.
I might get there. I have pretty much stopped watching MLB because the game seems gross to me now, and the NFL, unfortunately, my team has been decent the last few years...if not for COVID, though, I probably would have jumped off the NFL too. But so far, it still has me sucked in.

Kansas being way better than good is no doubt going to make me hesitate to stop watching. I already don't care about KU teams like I once did. It generally corresponds to the OAD era. So don't worry, some of us that feel 'icky' might wash into casuals...it might just take a min.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

pdub wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:58 pm
TDub wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:57 pm

He did say gently though.
That was nice.
I'm pretty torn on if I like the current system or not.

I'm not torn on the attitude of "if you don't like thing x, go away". That's a horrible mindset.