Tucker Carlson

Ugh.
twocoach

Re: Tucker Carlson

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:08 am you guys seriously believe you shouldn't need a valid ID to vote?
Nope. There are already enough safeguards in place between voter registration and validation. My daughter bought a scannable Missouri drivers license for $25 that she could have requested have any name, a fake address and a fake birth date that was made by some random suburban kid. Thinking that proves she is who she says she is is laughable. It's just another meaningless fine that poor people have to add to their expenses.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:30 am
TDub wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:08 am you guys seriously believe you shouldn't need a valid ID to vote?
Nope. There are already enough safeguards in place between voter registration and validation. My daughter bought a scannable Missouri drivers license for $25 that she could have requested have any name, a fake address and a fake birth date that was made by some random suburban kid. Thinking that proves she is who she says she is is laughable. It's just another meaningless fine that poor people have to add to their expenses.
my goodness. So no ID to vote. Got it.

If you guys are serious about that then my time in this discussion has come to an end because there is no middle ground to be found.
Just Ledoux it
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Haven’t we gone over this, only about a gazillion times, before?

Identification for voting is a solution looking for a problem. There have been so few documented instances of fake votes. It’s a tool used as a back door poll-tax to suppress minority voting, especially in urban areas.

As long as EVERY person is able to obtain, for free, with supporting documents also obtained without cost, requiring an identification card to vote will be a surrogate poll tax. Unconstitutional.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:42 am

If you guys are serious about that then my time in this discussion has come to an end because there is no middle ground to be found.
"My goodness" what? If anyone can buy a fake ID then what does requiring an ID to vote accomplish? Feel free to change my mind with a reasonable counter to my statement as to what presenting an ID to vote achieves. I am open to that; it's not an issue I am dead set on.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

no ID required in utah, and something like 80% mail-in…and goddamn this state is red

easiest voting i’ve ever done
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:45 am

"My goodness" what? If anyone can buy a fake ID then what does requiring an ID to vote accomplish? Feel free to change my mind with a reasonable counter to my statement as to what presenting an ID to vote achieves. I am open to that; it's not an issue I am dead set on.
why have ID to drive? to buy beer? to buy a gun?

hell just use your roblox account!
Just Ledoux it
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

TDub wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:52 am why have ID to drive? to buy beer? to buy a gun?

Take it up with the Courts (plural) who have ruled that requiring identification to vote (as the system currently exists) is unconstitutional.

Also, look up the definition for “rights” and “privilege”
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:52 am

Sorry, I thought you said you wanted to have a discussion about this, my bad.
Last edited by twocoach on Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

no identification to vote would certainly explain why old uncle is dragging his feet on border security. gotta get as many across the border as possible before nov.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:00 am no identification to vote would certainly explain why old uncle is dragging his feet on border security. gotta get as many across the border as possible before nov.
None of those people are registered voters. They can come in and show up to vote and will be sent home. This isn't that complicated.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

it is when you’re an idiot (or troll)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:05 am it is when you’re an idiot (or troll)
Do you feel that we have a big problem with illegal immigrants casting votes in our Presidential and Congressional elections that needs to be addressed with a change that would cost on average a few million dollars per state to enact?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

twocoach wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:13 am
KUTradition wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:05 am it is when you’re an idiot (or troll)
Do you feel that we have a big problem with illegal immigrants casting votes in our Presidential and Congressional elections?
nope, not at all…just another boogeyman

if such were the case, i don’t know how it wouldn’t have been exposed after 2020 with all the scrutiny
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:15 am
Do you feel that we have a big problem with illegal immigrants casting votes in our Presidential and Congressional elections?
nope, not at all…just another boogeyman

if such were the case, i don’t know how it wouldn’t have been exposed after 2020 with all the scrutiny
Agreed. All you are doing is adding another expense, another thing that can be exploited, another failure point and another thing that causes conflict at the local voting point. The system of volunteers that work voting spots is already stretched thin thanks to concerns over conflict as well as the complexity in being trained on a new system. My MIL used to volunteer at a local voting spot but will never do it again after multiple incidents in the building in the 2020 election with people getting into arguments with volunteers and other people in line.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Do you feel that we have a big problem with illegal immigrants casting votes in our Presidential and Congressional elections that needs to be addressed with a change that would cost on average a few million dollars per state to enact?
Or, people who shouldn’t possess firearms randomly shooting up ostensibly safe places? If I were fiscally responsible, where would I spend my resources? Just wondering.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:59 am
TDub wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:52 am

Sorry, I thought you said you wanted to have a discussion about this, my bad.
you're the one saying IDs are easy to fake and who cares, they don't mean anything
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I honestly can't believe this is an argument.

You guys can't even get your argument straight...

one says they're so easy to get they meaningless

the other says they're roo hard to get and it's a privilege to have one.

You two talk amongst yourself, regroup, decide on a strategy and the try again.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

why can’t both be true?

for middle class suburban kids, good fakes are super easy to acquire

for a member of the Navajo nation living in the middle of the rez? entirely different situation
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:58 am why can’t both be true?

for middle class suburban kids, good fakes are super easy to acquire

for a member of the Navajo nation living in the middle of the rez? entirely different situation
There are a great many people who do not need driver’s licenses, and for whom getting one (or another ID card) is highly impracticable and/or expensive (directly or indirectly). I’m also highly suspicious that adding hoops to be jumped through makes for very easy exploitation of well-meaning rules.

I absolutely 100% understand the good intentions and logic behind requiring voter ID.

My opinion is that, on the balance, the voter suppression that occurs (or would occur) by way of voter ID and other bureaucratic requirements is not close to being justified by the rate of actual voter fraud that presently occurs.
Cassandra

Post by Cassandra »

Open borders and welfare state doesn't work. Gotta eliminate the government's part in it and the people who want to work will come.