Chiefs 2023

Kansas Football.
twocoach

Re: Chiefs 2023

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:20 pm Ah, but you're missing something very important here.
( beyond not mentioning the rushing yards from the RBs )
This does not factor in the best player in the NFL.

This is more, if you picked the most average QB in the NFL, say Derek Carr, and then gave him these core RBs, WRs, TEs, which of those would be best and which would be worst.
Just highlights how great Mahomes and Reid really are. The cosmic karma for that Todd Blackledge over Dan Marino draft pick has finally arrived.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

For sure.
Mahomes makes guys look good.
Byron Pringle had almost 600 yards with the Chiefs just a couple seasons ago and now can't land a gig.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:21 pm
pdub wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:27 pm The 'improved' is a bit moot as every NFL player then is improved.
None of the names you mentioned are top 25 WRs - except maybe Toney if he's on the field - but that if is the reason he's not a top 25 WR yet.
JuJu was 24th in yards at 933 last year. I feel confident that someone in that group can get to that number.

Heck, here's the numbers from last year's Top 4 of the WR group:

JuJu: 78 catches for 933 yards
MVS: 42 catches for 687 yards
Justin Watson: 15 catches for 315 yards
Hardman: 25 catches for 297 yards

I feel quite confident that this year's group can replicate those numbers.
My thoughts for sure
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:30 pm For sure.
Mahomes makes guys look good.
Byron Pringle had almost 600 yards with the Chiefs just a couple seasons ago and now can't land a gig.
I think McKinnon is going to put up good numbers as well and Pacheco's growth in Year 2 should be fantastic now that he'll get a bigger chunk of the offseason reps. Should be a fun group.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Pacheco is fun to watch and I’m glad we resigned McKinnon.

Neither RB is a top 20 guy though.
( I think both benefit from backed off secondaries )

I know that’s not your point but just connecting it back to the original article.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Pacheco will be Top 20 with enough carries. Runs harder than anyone, and reminds me of Riggins.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think he may hug that line this season, yes.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:37 am Pacheco is fun to watch and I’m glad we resigned McKinnon.

Neither RB is a top 20 guy though.
( I think both benefit from backed off secondaries )

I know that’s not your point but just connecting it back to the original article.
Pacheco was 25th in yards per game last season despite getting 8 carries or less in 6 of the first 8 games including one game with 1 carry, two with 2 and one with 3. I think we see a really nice bump up next season if we see a more consistent 13-16 carries a game like he had in weeks 9-15. He's going to be a Top 20 guy this season if he stays healthy. Book it.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Sparko wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:47 pm Pacheco will be Top 20 with enough carries. Runs harder than anyone, and reminds me of Riggins.
Also Sayers.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

espn talking heads putting the Chief’s roster at #1
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Strongest unit: Quarterback. Does this even need an explanation? Kansas City's franchise player, Patrick Mahomes, has already won league MVP, the Super Bowl and the Super Bowl MVP two times each. He achieved all three of those last season -- despite the 2022 offseason departure of elite wide receiver Tyreek Hill -- cementing himself as the league's best player. At only 27 years old, Mahomes' dominant reign is far from over. -- Mike Clay
Weakest unit: Safety. The Chiefs said goodbye to Tyrann Mathieu after the 2021 season and moved on from Juan Thornhill this past offseason. Justin Reid, who replaced Mathieu and played 97% of the snaps last season, is a good starter, but the defense will be counting on journeyman Mike Edwards, second-year Bryan Cook or Day 3 rookie Chamarri Conner to step into the other starting role. -- Clay
X factor for 2023: LT Donovan Smith. Letting Orlando Brown Jr. walk in free agency and replacing him with Smith, who had the second-worst pass block win rate among tackles last season and the third-highest penalty rate among offensive linemen with at least 500 offensive snaps, was certainly a choice. Considering who will be playing behind him, Smith's play will be extremely high leverage. -- Seth Walder
Nonstarter to know: WR Justyn Ross. In 2018, Ross led college football with an absurd 5.1 yards per route run. Injuries have derailed his career, but it's hard to forget those numbers. -- Walder
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I really do think the shift is the overwhelming difference between Mahomes and the rest of the league in a sport that has shifted its rules to single out one position more than maybe any other position in all of team sports.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I actually like Safety for the Chiefs. Anyone watching knew that injuries and age were a factor that had to be addressed. And it so happens that you can get quality safeties throughout the draft. Tranquill is a coverage LB too, so not a bad development. I liked Thornhill though. DL or OL remains to be seen as far as depth.
ChicagoHawk

Post by ChicagoHawk »

Sparko wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:59 am I actually like Safety for the Chiefs. Anyone watching knew that injuries and age were a factor that had to be addressed. And it so happens that you can get quality safeties throughout the draft. Tranquill is a coverage LB too, so not a bad development. I liked Thornhill though. DL or OL remains to be seen as far as depth.
Coverage as a whole should be strong this year. DB play is highly variable season-to-season, but Sneed does so many things well that he has a pretty high floor. I expect one of last year’s day 3 rookies to take a step forward, one to regress. I think McDuffie is going to continue to be really effective. Also love both the Tranquill and Edwards signings at $3m.

Ultimately, they’re taking the right approach to a weak-link system by rostering 8+ DBs who can play, even if none except Sneed and possibly McDuffie are great. Tranquill is an ideal coverage LB too.

I generally love the versatility across this year’s defense.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Certainly grains of salt but I don't think useless, not one Chiefs WR makes the top 35.
Toney is 40th.
MVS 65th.

https://www.ea.com/games/madden-nfl/player-ratings
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Kelsey has WR numbers though. And not much to go on with the new guys.
ChicagoHawk

Post by ChicagoHawk »

I'm not that concerned about the WR group. Obviously that rests on the assumption that Kelce will remain healthy and productive, but I think he probably has two more elite seasons in him.

MVS, Toney, and Moore aren't great, but will all have a year in the system under their belts and each fills a role. Toney and/or Moore could take a step forward. MVS probably is what he is. I think James and Watson are decent 4th options if Rice is a bust or needs a year to integrate.

Ultimately, I also think the odds are also in KC's favor when it comes to one of Toney, Moore, and Rice breaking out. It would be pretty surprising to see three big misses in a row on top top 60 WR talent, especially with an elite offensive system and the best QB and HC in the league.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

I think Toney explodes this year. Usual caveat - if he can stay healthy.
ChicagoHawk

Post by ChicagoHawk »

AlOerter wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:25 pm I think Toney explodes this year. Usual caveat - if he can stay healthy.
I'd love to see it. I think he'll be good, probably miss 3-4 games, and disappoint the people who have super high expectations for him. But I think he'll have a good year.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think he will dazzle in several games but be on and off injured all season long, missing games and playing hampered.