Re: Chiefs 2023

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Dan Patrick discusses whether or not the Kansas City Chiefs should re-sign Chris Jones as well as whether or not Chris Jones should want to remain with the Chiefs or leave in free agency to the highest bidder.[/url]

Should The Chiefs Re-Sign Chris Jones? 02/14/24
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Chris will be back. I think he is working an affordable deal
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It may have been the adrenaline but Chris Jones screamed to the crowd yesterday, before another example of a problem that could start to be solved but won't because America, that he'd be back/that he wasn't going anywhere.

He's a top player, and his numbers ( sacks ) don't fully show his importance because he frees up other defenders ( i.e. why Karlaftis had more sacks ) but KC needs to be cautious here.

He would have to take under market value imo - if the Chiefs are going to give him 30+ million a year I unfortunately don't think that's the right route.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:54 am It may have been the adrenaline but Chris Jones screamed to the crowd yesterday, before another example of a problem that could start to be solved but won't because America, that he'd be back/that he wasn't going anywhere.

He's a top player, and his numbers ( sacks ) don't fully show his importance because he frees up other defenders ( i.e. why Karlaftis had more sacks ) but KC needs to be cautious here.

He would have to take under market value imo - if the Chiefs are going to give him 30+ million a year I unfortunately don't think that's the right route.
Heard the same thing. My guess is that his agents shit their pants when he said it. Maybe he fires his agent and does what he wants. He can be on the team that tries to win the first ever Super Bowl three peat or he can make a few million more to play for some shitty team. There aren't going to be many Super Bowl contenders shelling out that money for him.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Getting up to crazy money levels leaves holes. Chris looks to be thinking long term. He is a fixture here and his business side is where the real money will come anyway.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Sparko wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:39 am Getting up to crazy money levels leaves holes. Chris looks to be thinking long term. He is a fixture here and his business side is where the real money will come anyway.
There is also the entire aspect that these guys have families and moving sucks. Even when you're rich. Especially if you have kids.

And winning is fun. If he goes for the money there is a decent chance it's on a mediocre team.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

4 years, 100 million, 70 guaranteed would be that, OK, I think this can work for us both middle ground.

25m a year is still a big hit but he's no doubt a talent.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Which is why I would be stunned if KC signed a big dollar free agent WR. I think they sign a cheap vet and use another 1st or 2nd round pick on a young, cheap WR and use the money on Jones, Sneed and Tranquill, who was a damn stud for KC this past year.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

twocoach wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:07 am Which is why I would be stunned if KC signed a big dollar free agent WR. I think they sign a cheap vet and use another 1st or 2nd round pick on a young, cheap WR and use the money on Jones, Sneed and Tranquill, who was a damn stud for KC this past year.
Deep WR draft too
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

twocoach wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:07 am Which is why I would be stunned if KC signed a big dollar free agent WR. I think they sign a cheap vet and use another 1st or 2nd round pick on a young, cheap WR and use the money on Jones, Sneed and Tranquill, who was a damn stud for KC this past year.
It's not just those guys we need to sign for next season we need the money for.
Nick Bolton, Trey Smith, Creed Humphrey etc. will need extensions soon.

But I agree that I don't think they splash the pot for a guy like Evans.
Give me Darnell Mooney and Kendrick Bourne.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:32 am
It's not just those guys we need to sign for next season we need the money for.
Nick Bolton, Trey Smith, Creed Humphrey etc. will need extensions soon.

But I agree that I don't think they splash the pot for a guy like Evans.
Give me Darnell Mooney and Kendrick Bourne.
I'd let Bolton walk after next season and replace him with Tranquill. Bolton hasn't looked right since he returned from injury.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Drue is 4 years older.
I'm keeping Bolton.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Didn't realize the age gap, that changes my opinion.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I like Willie Gay myself. Kind of a Bobby Bell hybrid LB. But there must be contract dollar issues.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He plays a different role than Drue/Bolton but yes, Gay at a fair price would also be worth signing.
He's a FA this season.

If he priced himself out I don't think he's a huge loss.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:41 am Drue is 4 years older.
I'm keeping Bolton.
Speaking of Bolton...

https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=39532064
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Reid apparently looking for an extension and raise
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

This is shitty but I think with league structure you have to cut Omenihu.

That’s over 7 mill and he won’t be available most of the season.

MVS had some big catches but he’s gotta restructure or go.

I’d rather sign Sneed than Chris Jones just bc I think Jones will cost like 11-14 million more than Sneed each season but Veach and co have drafted the hell out of corners so you can’t bet against them finding another cheap option to match with McDuffie.

I don’t think you can let them both go unless somehow someway you got draft picks from them both ( not sure how you could do that as you could only tag one of em ).