Chiefs 2023

Kansas Football.
Sparko
Contributor

Re: Chiefs 2023

Post by Sparko »

It is crappy that the NFL's cap enriches owners so much. In a just world, it shouldn't apply to players you draft. You should be able to keep folks if you are willing to pay. But that is what makes three-peating so tough. Attrition.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I love the NFL salary cap.
Evens out small markets to big markets.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I'm a supporter.

I would throw a shit-fit if the NFL went down the path of the NBA and did something like create a designated player (QB) exception.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Salary cap likely to increase to around 250 mill.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Could you sign Justin Madubuike or Christian Wilkins - not as dominant as Jones - but for 5-10 million less a season?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:33 pm Could you sign Justin Madubuike or Christian Wilkins - not as dominant as Jones - but for 5-10 million less a season?
I suspect they'll try for one or more signings that look a lot like the Omenihu deal - finding someone who was drafted REALLY young and has not quite performed to a level of being worthy of tagging/picking up the rookie deal option.

I know very little about the guys you suggested, but I do not think the Chiefs will want to spend $22-27mm/year on someone other than Jones.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:33 pm Could you sign Justin Madubuike or Christian Wilkins - not as dominant as Jones - but for 5-10 million less a season?
If the Chiefs lose Chris Jones, I'd love to see them steal Madubuike from the Ravens. And he's just 26. Hopefully they get Jones to come.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Get Curtis Samuel, Kendrick Bourne and Austin Ekeler on this team.
Consider bringing back Hardman.
Depending on draft, maybe grab a guy in the 1st or 2nd.

I think they'd all be affordable.
Probably could sign them all for what MVS would cost next season.

Rice, Samuel, 1st/2nd rounder, Bourne, Watson, Hardman.
That'll do.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:29 am Get Curtis Samuel, Kendrick Bourne and Austin Ekeler on this team.
Consider bringing back Hardman.
Depending on draft, maybe grab a guy in the 1st or 2nd.

I think they'd all be affordable.
Probably could sign them all for what MVS would cost next season.

Rice, Samuel, 1st/2nd rounder, Bourne, Watson, Hardman.
That'll do.
What makes you feel that Ekeler will be affordable? Not trying to argue, just curious. He was in a pretty bitter contract fight with the Chargers so it feels like he might not be out there on the cheap. Maybe he'd sign a friendly deal with KC just to stick it to the Chargers, who knows.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

There will be a number of free agent running backs looking for gigs and all of them are having trouble getting paid.

Ekeler is coming off an injury laden season where he looked pretty ineffective.
He'll be going against dudes like Saquon, Josh Jacobs, Derick Henry and Tony Pollard, all of whom will be higher valued acquisitions.

I'm betting his best deal will be for something like 3 years @ 6 million a year...but if he wants to play for a contender, then maybe cut a half mill to a mill off each year.
Curtis Samuel would command something around than or less that i'd think ( 6 mill a year? ).
And then get Bourne on a 1 year prove it deal.

So something like:
Ekeler 3 years/15 million.
Samuel 2 years/12 million.
Kendrick 1 year/4 million.

MVS will cost 14 million - you probably could get those dudes for very close to that cost I'd think.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

If KC adds any of those three players, let alone all three then they are better than they are today. I assume KC loses both CEH and McKinnon and lets MVS go.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Hopefully Jawaan Taylor will do us a solid and restructure since he wasn't nearly worth the price tag he'll get paid next season.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The new Raiders coach is really setting himself up for an ass kicking next season.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:28 am Hopefully Jawaan Taylor will do us a solid and restructure since he wasn't nearly worth the price tag he'll get paid next season.
Hopefully Jawaan Taylor will join OBJ and sign with the Bengals, freeing us up to sign a better tackle. He sucked.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He's guaranteed 25 million from us next season.
He ain't goin' anywhere.
That was just a really bad decision by the Chiefs.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:24 pm He's guaranteed 25 million from us next season.
He ain't goin' anywhere.
That was just a really bad decision by the Chiefs.
Bummer. Coach him up I guess and fingers crossed.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

It's the penalties. Easy to SAY that he's an above-average tackle without them (which is true). Easy to SAY it's something he can cut down on.

Not remotely so easy to DO - especially from a reputational standpoint.

It also suggests that the Chiefs really need to be (and surely ARE) using their own metrics and analysis - I would imagine the skillset you need in a tackle is just different with a guy like Mahomes as compared with a guy like, say, Burrow.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Issue is, next season, he's being paid as a top 2 right tackle.
He's not a top 2 right tackle.

The other issue is, next season, he's being paid as a top 7 tackle ( left or right ).
He's not a top 7 tackle.

If only Orlando Brown hadn't held out for a contract that was basically the same, if not worse, than what he got with the Bengals...we'd have an above average LT for a good deal less that we could have spent on a right tackle.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:15 am Issue is, next season, he's being paid as a top 2 right tackle.
He's not a top 2 right tackle.

The other issue is, next season, he's being paid as a top 7 tackle ( left or right ).
He's not a top 7 tackle.

If only Orlando Brown hadn't held out for a contract that was basically the same, if not worse, than what he got with the Bengals...we'd have an above average LT for a good deal less that we could have spent on a right tackle.
I don't disagree with that...but it's also spilled milk. I also think the industry consensus now is that, particularly when you have a right-handed mobile quarterback (like Pat), it's not the case that LT is significantly more valuable than RT (if it's still more valuable at all).

Point is, I'm not overly concerned with the line being (L to R) Morris, Thuney, Humphrey, Smith, Taylor.

I would also be VERY ok with moving on from either Humphrey or Smith this offseason, while they stand to bring something back in trade (realistically, we're talking middle-round).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I am not trading the starting center for the Pro Bowl and a 2nd team All pro when he's on a rookie salary for a low value pick ( because centers are not valued when making trades ) when I want to try and go for a 3-peat.

And no matter how you look at it ( I look at it as LT's are still more valuable than RT's if you are a right handed quarterback just because of the standard way you face, even if you are mobile ) Jawaan Taylor is being significantly overpaid.

He's not a top 7 tackle.