Are we better than last year?

Kansas Basketball.
Back2Lawrence

Re: Are we better than last year?

Post by Back2Lawrence »

This new way of doing things seems a bit like ambulance chasing. That is the best way to lawyer, though, right?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ChicagoHawk

Post by ChicagoHawk »

Yes.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Kansas has moved 10 to 1 odds which is the best in CBB ahead of 12 to 1 Duke and 15 to 1 Uconn, Arkansas, Houston and Michigan State.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:16 am
ousdahl wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:08 am Pdub already shitting on Hunter even harder than Randy shitting on Dajuan and Bobby combined
Did you see his video?
And then his comments following his commitment?

Imagine he played for ANY other school.
Sorry, that's a really bad look ( imo ).
Meh. College aged kids making cringey, self-absorbed videos is kinda the norm these days. They are all dumb and mean nothing in the scheme of things.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't think that level of cringe is the norm.
Case in point, look at the dude who left bc Hunter joined.
I don't recall Udeh in scripted videos with fake phone calls and talking about how difficult it was for him to commit to Kansas ( after previously committing to Michigan ). Just highlight reels of him balling and working out. And a video about him thanking people and then commiting.

There's a level of self absorbed that I think Hunter stepped over and then fucking leaped further into with his comments immediately after the cringe video.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

absolutely

on personality alone i’d rather have Udeh…by leaps and bounds
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:50 pm I don't think that level of cringe is the norm.
I don't recall Udeh in scripted videos with fake phone calls and talking about how difficult it was for him to commit to Kansas. Just highlight reels of him balling and working out.

There's a level of self absorbed that I think Hunter stepped over and then fucking leaped further into with his comments immediately after the cringe video.
Sorry that you feel the need to even watch stuff like that, let alone be bothered by it. If he can hit threes at a 40+% clip and goes for 20 & 10 a game, I don't care if he is a completely self-absorbed weirdo. I don't need to like them as people to like them as basketball players. It's nice when it's both but that's a bonus to me that raises the player up my "favorites" list, not a requirement.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't need to like them as people to know they are going to help the team.
But I certainly can point out if I don't like them as people.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:06 pm I don't need to like them as people to know they are going to help the team.
But I certainly can point out if I don't like them as people.
Agreed. There have certainly been multiple players at KU that I was happier to see leave than others because I didn't like cheering for their success very much. It's all good.
ChicagoHawk

Post by ChicagoHawk »

I think dwelling on a dumb commitment video for this long is embarrassing.

Yes, it was annoying. There are also a lot of people in star players' ears telling them how to market themselves and not giving them good advice about what goes too far. I don't think it really says all that much about the person. It's one stupid video. Who gives a shit, man? Let's move on.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

I look at it like the suspenseful hat ceremony from high-schoolers. I wouldn't do it myself but I think they're just having some fun.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It's not just that.
It's this:

"The people hating on me would leave their job right now for a $10,000 increase," Dickinson said. "At Michigan, I got less than six figures. I got less than six figures at Michigan for the year."

“I’m not saying anything bad about the basketball program and stuff...I basically gave that up, like Jordan said, to try to be selfish and do what’s best for me and my career and not do what’s best for anyone else’s career.”

So it's pretty clear his main reason for coming to Kansas is for money and, I don't know if you've been on this bored since it's beginnings, but that's not really what I wanted CBB to become ( "bEcOME? iTs ALwaYS BeEN tHIs WAy" ).

You guys can like the guy all you want.
He can be your favorite Jayhawk of all time.
I think he'll be very good at basketball. I just don't like him. I'd much rather have kept Udeh and Zuby.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

pdub wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:50 pm I don't think that level of cringe is the norm.
I don't recall Udeh in scripted videos with fake phone calls and talking about how difficult it was for him to commit to Kansas ( after previously committing to Michigan ). Just highlight reels of him balling and working out. And a video about him thanking people and then commiting.

It's hard to disagree with this.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

pdub wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:36 pm It's not just that.
It's this:

"The people hating on me would leave their job right now for a $10,000 increase," Dickinson said. "At Michigan, I got less than six figures. I got less than six figures at Michigan for the year."

“I’m not saying anything bad about the basketball program and stuff...I basically gave that up, like Jordan said, to try to be selfish and do what’s best for me and my career and not do what’s best for anyone else’s career.”

So it's pretty clear his main reason for coming to Kansas is for money and, I don't know if you've been on this bored since it's beginnings, but that's not really what I wanted CBB to become ( "bEcOME? iTs ALwaYS BeEN tHIs WAy" ).

You guys can like the guy all you want.
He can be your favorite Jayhawk of all time.
I think he'll be very good at basketball. I just don't like him. I'd much rather have kept Udeh and Zuby.
...or this.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The South Beach moment
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

I like Ernest and Zuby too. I think they both have tremendous upside. But by leaving, they are obviously doing what they think is best for their own self-interest too. They just aren't hamming it up and making a big production out of it like Hunter.

Hunter's public comments do give some insight into his personality and makes him less likeable than those who keep their thoughts to themselves. He reminds me of some pro wide-receivers and db's whose idea about being for the team is the fact that them being on the team is best for the team.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

If I am making $100k at my job and another company offers me $2 million to do the same job then there are going to be some people out there who think I am all about me after I make my decision to leave a place I had been committed to and enjoyed for the massive pay raise.

Bottom line is that the regular public can't even wrap their brain around that because we will never be good enough at our professions to face such a choice of such magnitude. I don't know if I would have handled it perfectly at 51, let alone at 21. I won't go so far as to say I empathize with him but I'll bet this process has been overwhelming to say the least.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

twocoach wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:57 am If I am making $100k at my job and another company offers me $2 million to do the same job then there are going to be some people out there who think I am all about me after I make my decision to leave a place I had been committed to and enjoyed for the massive pay raise.

Bottom line is that the regular public can't even wrap their brain around that because we will never be good enough at our professions to face such a choice of such magnitude. I don't know if I would have handled it perfectly at 51, let alone at 21. I won't go so far as to say I empathize with him but I'll bet this process has been overwhelming to say the least.
Bingo! I mentioned this too. He's been "mentored and coached" by Juwan Howard for the last 3 years. Juwan probably hasn't been the best with media sessions and how to navigate those. Bill and his guys have always been so good with the media.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

AlOerter wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:40 am He reminds me of some pro wide-receivers and db's whose idea about being for the team is the fact that them being on the team is best for the team.
Good analogy.
This is what I'm feeling too.