Are we better than last year?

Kansas Basketball.
UnholyLivingDead

Re: Are we better than last year?

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

pdub wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:12 am
AlOerter wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:40 am He reminds me of some pro wide-receivers and db's whose idea about being for the team is the fact that them being on the team is best for the team.
Good analogy.
This is what I'm feeling too.
Isn't that true though? Hunter Dickinson being on this team is what's best for the team. There's a reason he was the #1 player in the portal and Bill Self's #1 target from the very outset. When Self said in early April "we need a big guy that can go out and get us 20 and 10", he made that known.

Attitude wise, I don't think he's going to be any different on-court than Christian Braun was. Braun was the definition of you HATE that guy unless he's on your team. The only difference is he didn't make a video announcing which school he was transferring to. Oh, and a national championship to back it up, but that's a different story.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I disliked Braun his first season or two with his antics so that tracks.
He calmed it down some his final season.

The other difference is Braun chose Kansas originally, over Missouri, is a Kansas kid, and likely did so because it was Kansas the program, and not because of the fat stacks of cash he was going to get on arrival.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

pdub wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:32 am I disliked Braun his first season or two with his antics so that tracks.
He calmed it down some his final season.

The other difference is Braun chose Kansas originally, over Missouri, is a Kansas kid, and likely did so because it was Kansas the program, and not because of the fat stacks of cash he was going to get on arrival.
heard him on a podcast talking about that...he knew he wanted to go to Kansas as a little kid.

He said he had other visits lined up and as soon as Self called him he knew he was going. He tried to play it cool and still take his other visits and pretend he was still looking but he couldn't and ended up calling back and committing early.

He said Self was very very honest about the whole process...told him we'd like to have you, but...we don't need you...Kansas wi be fine with it without you but we'd love to have you. Told him there's 3 other guys we're recruiting....we have 1 spot...we're gonna take the first guy that wants to be here.

Same deal with playing time...no promises etc..
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:24 am
pdub wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:12 am
AlOerter wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:40 am He reminds me of some pro wide-receivers and db's whose idea about being for the team is the fact that them being on the team is best for the team.
Good analogy.
This is what I'm feeling too.
Isn't that true though? Hunter Dickinson being on this team is what's best for the team. There's a reason he was the #1 player in the portal and Bill Self's #1 target from the very outset. When Self said in early April "we need a big guy that can go out and get us 20 and 10", he made that known.

Attitude wise, I don't think he's going to be any different on-court than Christian Braun was. Braun was the definition of you HATE that guy unless he's on your team. The only difference is he didn't make a video announcing which school he was transferring to. Oh, and a national championship to back it up, but that's a different story.
Agreed. Quite frankly, I have encountered a number of current KU students who think Christian Braun is an arrogant prick and who have a hard time cheering for his success in his post-KU career. But they are all glad that he was at KU and appreciate what he contributed to the national title. Hopefully Dickinson accomplishes the same level of success and fans who do not like him personally have such a dilemma to sort through.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I just don't really understand why we're getting our panties all twisted over a video; some of us have been together going back four-ish boreds, where hat ceremony drama was a regular occurrence.

At least in this case the player has already proven himself.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

regardless of what KANSAS accomplishes next season. 5 years from now i will have forgotten hd was ever a JAYHAWK.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Bunch of crotchety old men. Let hunter dickinson play a few games first before forming a negative opinion of our top recruit
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

This would he like back in 05 complaining that Brandon rush came and ran off Micah downs
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

As I said, the video, for me, had his foot on the line ( the line being, I don't like this guy ) when he was talking about how the "decision might have been harder than the first one" with the assumption he was looking at NIL money ( along with the "you got the WHOLE WORLD WAITING on you" cringe at the start ).

Then the assumption was proven with his statements after the fact.

That's over the line for me.

I don't need to like a guy just simply because he plays for Kansas.
UnholyLivingDead

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:08 am regardless of what KANSAS accomplishes next season. 5 years from now i will have forgotten hd was ever a JAYHAWK.
LOL if he comes in and say, wins a national title + Final Four MOP, you're full of it.
UnholyLivingDead

randylahey wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:16 am Bunch of crotchety old men. Let hunter dickinson play a few games first before forming a negative opinion of our top recruit
This.

I don't know. When I was a high school and college kid, I felt much more of a need to be a fervent, radical fan and "protect the brand of Kansas". So maybe it's just getting older because I just don't care about that stuff now. If he plays well and we win games, then I don't care. As long as no one's getting hurt or participating in serious crimes.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You guys can like the guy all you want.
He can be your favorite Jayhawk of all time.
I think he'll be very good at basketball. I just don't like him.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Kansas brand of basketball is "winning"

The transfer market has reshaped college basketball. To win at a high level, teams NEED good experienced transfers
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

To be the best, you need the best players. If we aren't signing them, someone else is
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:16 am Bunch of crotchety old men. Let hunter dickinson play a few games first before forming a negative opinion of our top recruit
Man. Singular.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I feel like you could copy/paste this discussion from the old boreds (or their old counterparts), about OAD, hats, and so on. It's the same thing. This is not new.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

randy says “let the dood play”

seems like he was the first one here that trashed HD for his defense
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

jfish26 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:09 am I feel like you could copy/paste this discussion from the old boreds (or their old counterparts), about OAD, hats, and so on. It's the same thing. This is not new.
True. Same concept, slightly different details.

But the one thing that will always matter most to the kansas brand: winning at a high level

And recruiting in whatever way achieves that
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

I don't dislike Hunter, I just think he's a douche.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

InfiniteJ wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:46 pm I don't dislike Hunter, I just think he's a douche.
Hes going to be the most hated player in America this season