NBA draft

Kansas Basketball.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Re: NBA draft

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

DeletedUser wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:07 am At 26 it's an easy decision to return. He'll make more money at KU in that spot.
My opinion - No it's not. No he won't.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don’t think he would be guaranteed to be drafted 26th.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

PDub has done the math on other prospects in the past....

So at pick 26 his first year salary is like 2.2mil or something....lets say he'd get something like 750k-1mil at KU....so he'd lose some first year income, but likely improves his stock enough to offset that year 1 loss in year 2 being drafted maybe 10-15spots higher, which doubles his salary and extends his contract 1 year.

I think if he goes pro after this year he'll be out of the NBA in 5 years or less. It'd be a huge mistake. Not only is his game not ready, his body isn't ready either.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

To me Furphy looks like a guy who could be drafted lotto eventually.

If you are a fringe 1st with a chance to even drop 2nd and you’re only 19, you stand to make more money in the long run by improving stock even with the low risk of injury.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:45 am PDub has done the math on other prospects in the past....

So at pick 26 his first year salary is like 2.2mil or something....lets say he'd get something like 750k-1mil at KU....so he'd lose some first year income, but likely improves his stock enough to offset that year 1 loss in year 2 being drafted maybe 10-15spots higher, which doubles his salary and extends his contract 1 year.

I think if he goes pro after this year he'll be out of the NBA in 5 years or less. It'd be a huge mistake. Not only is his game not ready, his body isn't ready either.
If you put it that way.....

If Furphy continues to play the way he's played the last month, he has a couple of nice options.
I will wish him well whatever he decides and feels is best for him.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Furphy is far from being a finished product. But he has the kind of tools that get you drafted

He should come back imo. But he would always be drafted imo, probably late 1st

But I guess we should wait and see what the rest of the season has in for him.

Furphy is improving at the fastest rate of any freshman jayhawk since....?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Chai.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:53 amChai.
And he got late 1st/early 2nd mock draft hype for a bit and then stayed all 4 years. Got way better. And still can't crack an NBA rotation as a major contributor.

And people think Furphy is ready to take a roster spot from guys like that?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:47 am Furphy is far from being a finished product. But he has the kind of tools that get you drafted

He should come back imo. But he would always be drafted imo, probably late 1st

But I guess we should wait and see what the rest of the season has in for him.

Furphy is improving at the fastest rate of any freshman jayhawk since....?
Furphy is improving at the fastest rate of any freshman Jayhawk since probably Oubre. Oubre went from the bench to the starting rotation a few games ahead of when Furphy made the jump.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Ochai went from redshirting to playing in early January so I don't really look at that the same. If Azubuike hadn't gotten injured that season then I doubt Agbaji's redshirt gets pulled.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Ochai went from redshirt to off the bench to starting and getting 30 mpg+.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

2024 NBA Mock Draft: Full 2-Round Predictions Post-Trade Deadline

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/101 ... e-deadline

21. New Orleans Pelicans: Johnny Furphy

Previous mock draft spot: No. 26
School/Team: Kansas
Nationality: Australian
Position: Small forward
Size: 6'9", 202lbs
Scouts have stopped wondering if Johnny Furphy will be a 2024 or 2025 draft prospect. Their new question asks how high he's going to climb in this year's first round following a recent stretch of impressive shooting, athletic play-finishing, high energy and good decision-making.
The 6'9" forward is up to 40.5 percent from three and 78.4 percent at the rim. And though he hasn't flashed any creation or playmaking, his off-ball efficiency and incredibly low turnover rate (10 all season) point to an easy NBA fit.

23. New York Knicks: Kevin McCullar Jr.

Previous mock draft spot: No. 17
School: Kansas
Nationality: American
Position: SG/SF
Size: 6'7", 214 lbs
Kevin McCullar Jr. should have plenty of mid-late first-round suitors who see an easy fit with his 6'7" size, offensive versatility and defense.
There may be some skepticism over this year's scoring jump given his big usage spike and some questions about his self-creation and shooting.
Still, McCullar checks boxes boldly enough for teams to picture an adaptable, on-and-off-ball wing who provides threatening slashing, shot-making and secondary playmaking.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I'll believe it when I see it for Furphy. Mock drafts are fun though.

I think KJ Adams is a more viable NBA player right now than Furphy. At least KJ could defend multiple positions.

Furphy does nothing at an NBA level other than make wide open 3s.
Psychhawk

Post by Psychhawk »

Parrish on CBS had McCullar 14 and Furphy 17 in his mock draft a few days ago.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Psychhawk wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:10 pm Parrish on CBS had McCullar 14
Wild. He made a great decision coming back.

I think he'll end up in the 20s, but still really improved his stock after trying to jump 2 years ago from TT.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

DeletedUser wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:50 pm Furphy does nothing at an NBA level other than make wide open 3s.
does he even do that?

i can’t recall seeing many, if any, that he’s made from that deep…maybe from the corner (but that’s not the same)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Pretty sure he been sick the last couple games too