Ron desantis

Ugh.
defixione
Contributor

Re: Ron desantis

Post by defixione »

I'd vote for him, where can I send my donation?
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

jfish26 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:47 am

Someone needs to come out and say, “It is a virtual certainty at this point that Trump will be under multiple indictments at the critical phases of the 2024 general election. And you know what, while the justice system should run its course fairly and free from political influence, it seems more likely than not that Trump broke many laws and, more importantly, damaged both our national security and our collective faith in free and fair elections. Accordingly, I believe the time has come for the Republican Party to unite behind a new face, voice and principled optimism.”
That would require the someone to not be a coward. There’s no one left in the current version of the Republican Party who is not a coward. Whenever someone wanders down towards that path they fall back in line so fast that it creates a sonic boom!!
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

defixione wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:24 am I'd vote for him, where can I send my donation?
Cash app in the bio!
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

zsn wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:44 am

Someone needs to come out and say, “It is a virtual certainty at this point that Trump will be under multiple indictments at the critical phases of the 2024 general election. And you know what, while the justice system should run its course fairly and free from political influence, it seems more likely than not that Trump broke many laws and, more importantly, damaged both our national security and our collective faith in free and fair elections. Accordingly, I believe the time has come for the Republican Party to unite behind a new face, voice and principled optimism.”
That would require the someone to not be a coward. There’s no one left in the current version of the Republican Party who is not a coward. Whenever someone wanders down towards that path they fall back in line so fast that it creates a sonic boom!!
Cynically, you'd expect one or more people to do this, for the purpose of failing upward into a "token right-leaning talking head" role with the normie networks.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

That has kind of happened - David Jolly, Michael Steele and Nicole Wallace. But they all left the Republican Party!
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Mjl wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:58 am
twocoach wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:51 am

You'd need a TRUE Centrist who does not include the pollution of The Church in their platform. Financial reform, fiscal responsibility, personal freedoms and some environmental awareness without lunacy. And they'd need to be young but not too young, experienced but not establishment, etc.... AKA a person who doesn't exist. But if that person ever does exist, I'd vote for them, assuming they actually made it through to a primary or general election.
Sununu, if he gets in the race
I still think the lane for this is to be loud.

That may pull a chunk of the "I didn't leave the GOP, the GOP left me" crowd but they seem to be a minority to the MAGA wing of the GOP.

And few Dems are going to vote for a principled centrist unless they are Dem-leaning in their stance on abortion and guns. If they did, they may lose a chunk of those "I didn't leave the GOP, the GOP left me" group.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

and to think just a few posts ago he asks me "where did you get all that?"
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:15 pm

What did zsn say that you disagree with?
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Feral wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:24 pm

you'll have to be more specific...I generally disagree with zsn at about a 96% clip
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:37 pm
Feral wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:24 pm

you'll have to be more specific...I generally disagree with zsn at about a 96% clip
On the contrary, your rub is so generic, it's impossible to know what it is you disagree with. But, since you used his most recent post to justify your previous overly-vague statement, feel free to limit your specificity to it, the new post.
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TDub wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:04 pm
zsn wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:51 pm We’ve had third party candidates but would you really want George Wallace, Ross Perot or Ralph Nader as President? I think it’s as much an effect of experience and ideas as lobbying and money. That’s the lazy take. John Anderson was probably the person with the ideas and experience to be a serious contender. His lack of success may have been due to splitting the Republican and Democratic votes.
yes yes...we know you dont want a third party.....whatever the democrats trot out there you will jump on the wagon and scream from the top of the transamerica pyramid how amazingly smart and brilliant that person is and how everyone who disagrees is a nutcase....we get it.
zsn wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:20 pm Where do you get all that???? Defensive much? I never ever said that I didn’t want a third party candidate. I just haven’t seen anyone serious in the years I’ve been following and studying about politics. Actually the last serious third party candidate was probably Teddy Roosevelt.

In some way, you need a candidate who really stimulates imagination and enthusiasm. While not an accurate example, Obama in 2008 had what it would take for a viable third party candidate. He went up against an extremely well known and well funded opponent (Hillary). I seriously doubt any lobbyist or moneyed interest took him seriously at the beginning - demonstrating that money is only a small part, at least initially. He built an almost-cult-like following, based on hope and prom. Whether or not it was justified, or how it all turned out is not germane to my point. What you need is someone who has interesting, positive and hopeful ideas. Remember that the establishment Democrats were backing Hillary! I haven’t seen it from anyone.
TDub wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:31 pm where do I get all that? ive read your posts for a decade or more?

defensive? of what? I made no statements to be defensive of...
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

nm
Anand Giridharadas
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

It still doesn’t follow. That the current version of the Republican Party is full of cowards does not mean that I ever said I’m not in favor of a third party candidate. I’ve been calling you out on specifically on who you would vote FOR rather than just dissing the candidates who are running.

My point remains: there is no one outside of the two-parties who have brought anything more to the table than the candidates within the two parties. This is not an endorsement of the two parties rather an indictment of the quality of candidates. It’s not the parties, it’s a problem of candidates. Just blaming the system is lazy.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

my point remains...you don't see the need because you are such a rah rah Democrat that you will prop up whatever corpse they toss out and claim anyone who doesn't blindly ride with them as an idiot
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:08 pm my point remains...you don't see the need because you are such a rah rah Democrat that you will prop up whatever corpse they toss out and claim anyone who doesn't blindly ride with them as an idiot
Voting for a 3rd party candidate might make you feel all warm inside, but for at least for what, the last century, other than virtue signaling and making a statement, it's a good way to waste your vote.

And before you ask, I have voted for a 3rd party candidate, Anderson, in 1980. I don't lose any sleep over it, but I don't feel good about having anything to do with helping elect a prick like Reagan, who among other things, like lying to Americans about selling arms to Iran, helped foment distrust of our institutions with his "the Government is the problem" propaganda, while helping the rich rob the public blind and empowering the Christo-Fascist "Moral Majority".

But, don't get me started.
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Feral wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:41 pm
TDub wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:08 pm my point remains...you don't see the need because you are such a rah rah Democrat that you will prop up whatever corpse they toss out and claim anyone who doesn't blindly ride with them as an idiot
Voting for a 3rd party candidate might make you feel all warm inside, but for at least for what, the last century, other than virtue signaling and making a statement, it's a good way to waste your vote.

And before you ask, I have voted for a 3rd party candidate, Anderson, in 1980. I don't lose any sleep over it, but I don't feel good about having anything to do with helping elect a prick like Reagan, who among other things, like lying to Americans about selling arms to Iran, helped foment distrust of our institutions with his "the Government is the problem" propaganda, while helping the rich rob the public blind and empowering the Christo-Fascist "Moral Majority".

if we perpuate the idea that a 3rd party vote is a throw away vote then we ensure that it never becomes a possibility.

I dont necessarily have a problem voting for one of the 2 major parties provided they propose a palatable option. That has absolutely not been the case for at least half of the current century.
Just Ledoux it
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

TDub wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:46 pm
Feral wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:41 pm

if we perpuate the idea that a 3rd party vote is a throw away vote then we ensure that it never becomes a possibility.

I dont necessarily have a problem voting for one of the 2 major parties provided they propose a palatable option. That has absolutely not been the case for at least half of the current century.
Yeah, this
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

If I understand Tdub, he's saying that for a third party candidate to be successful, what we "need is someone who has interesting, positive and hopeful ideas".
Anand Giridharadas
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

And to remove the mindset of a third party vote being a waste.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Mark Cuban run. And between him, Trump, and Biden, it's an easy choice for me.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Yeah zsn, why won't you at least consider not voting for the democrat?

https://twitter.com/chyeaok/status/1661 ... wsrc%5Etfw
Anand Giridharadas