Commencement Speech

Coffee talk.
japhy
Contributor

Commencement Speech

Post by japhy »

Liz Cheney went to the "Hippie College"? I did not know that, never would have suspected that. And she sent Dick Cheney's grandkids there as well. An interesting choice for commencement speaker.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/colorado-col ... 00389.html
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Commencement Speech

Post by Shirley »

As a liberal my inclination is to feel embarrassed by the students who turned their chairs, and wish they would have listened closer to their college president who had just "...congratulated the class on its collective affinity for open-mindedness and critical thinking...".

(Full disclosure: I find myself at times agreeing with people like Bill Maher about college students' unwillingness to hear apposing views, and hypersensitivity and inclination to get offended about "everything". How boring.)

But, then I recall witnessing the fight for civil rights and participating in the protests to end the Viet Nam war we were all being lied to about, and how outrageous it is and must seem to young people to see the war republicans are waging on any and all "others", and I can see their point. Especially because said "war" is only gaining steam and being woven into the fabric of our laws and society. It makes me want to vomit.

Since the Jan 6 hearings, I find myself having to fight the urge to over-appreciate what republicans Cheney and Kinzinger did, although it was a lot, especially considering the careers they consciously threw away. But then I remember, all they did was pursue and tell the truth. Was/is that so much to ask? And if that's as high a bar as it appears to be these days, it's just one more sign of how large the threat is to our democracy since the republican party became a cult of personality in service to Christo-Fascism and bigotry.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

good job good manly post
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

japhy wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:09 pm good job good manly post
Thanks, I was worried it lacked pathos.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Feral wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:17 pm
japhy wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:09 pm good job good manly post
Thanks, I was worried it lacked pathos.
Worry not, I was barely through the first sentence of the last paragraph when I thought, "pathetic".