the conservative end game on education

Ugh.
japhy
Contributor

the conservative end game on education

Post by japhy »

..seriously, how do they think this will end well?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/missouri-mor ... 45702.html

Not sure why anyone would sign a contract for a job that has such high turnover, other than the school districts have all agreed they are going to enforce it across the board so there aren't any options.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Re: the conservative end game on education

Post by DCHawk1 »

I think you posted the wrong link.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Is the link going to those neked photos of Hunter Biden again? Damnit.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

No. I have those downloaded already. In your thread about "the conservative" something something, you accidentally linked to a story highlighting 3 cases of teachers being persecuted for breaking contracts, 2 of which are from that hub of conservativeness, St. Louis County.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

It's the state BOE that's suspending the licenses, not the individual districts.

Seeking retribution from such poorly paid people seems very short-sighted, and stupid.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

The circumstances varied but in each of the three cases, a teacher submitted a resignation after the contract deadline, the school board voted to reject the resignation and the district initiated action to suspend the teacher's license.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Mark Jones, communications director of the Missouri National Education Association, described districts going after teaching certificates as a "heavy-handed approach."
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Seeking retribution from such poorly paid people seems very short-sighted, and stupid.

I think this is probably right. I just don't think there's any reason to consider this partisan/ideological stupidity.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:03 pm Seeking retribution from such poorly paid people seems very short-sighted, and stupid.

I think this is probably right. I just don't think there's any reason to consider this partisan/ideological stupidity.
Can't disagree.
Anand Giridharadas
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

St Louis County is as you may know, not the county that the City of St Louis is in. St Louis County is more of a battleground in recent years much, like Platte County where I live. We are in the City of Kansas City, but also happen to be red as a county. St Louis County is blue but there are red pockets. Rockwood school district is not Hazelwood school district, but both are in St. Louis County.

Jessica seems nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGi3Jf5IXH0

Until 2016 -2018 it was pretty common for the school board elections here to be pretty non-political. Now we have a new code word on the some of the school board candidates signs, “conservative”. Jessica used the code word on her signs as I recall. The “No Left Turn” folks have got their eye on the school boards in the suburbs of the Kansas City and St Louis.

As the article notes, the numbers of school districts going from “cost of replacement” to “punitive” level amounts for breaking of contracts for teachers is increasing at the same time as we are seeing the culture war on education ramping up here in Missouri.

Is it a coincidence?....maybe.

Or maybe a number of school board members just spontaneously decided to start becoming punitive in their contracts. It should be noted that most private schools do not have contracts with their teachers and the State does not require private school teachers to be certified and only certified (MSTA) teachers are subject to discipline by the State Board of Education.

I am not a big believer in coincidence theory where stuff like this is concerned. If this is an organized push we will see who is coaching the school boards in due time.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

GJGMP
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

There is a high likelihood of hateful and idiotic right wing functionaries, elected for being idiotc and hateful, doing idiotic and hateful things. It is a pretty difficult logic thread for some to follow. But almost always true short of a conscience-rending mass epiphany.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Thanks for elaborating, Japhy.

Before editing it, my original response was to beg off opening the link because being from floree-duh where the Christo-Fascism is in our faces 24/7, I was reluctant to, in effect, go seeking it out. Sadly, it was worse than I imagined.

The unmitigated cruelty of these people. WTAF? As if growing up wasn't hard enough, without adults constantly holding you up publicly as a threat to the normal order, hoping to invoke fear, scorn, and hate toward you, for political power.

Relatively speaking, I had the world on a string compared to many of these kids, and I still fought doubt and insecurity daily, always hoping I'd fit in. I can't imagine what it must be like for kids who are "different" to be reminded constantly, by adults, that they're unworthy of consideration, let alone, love. SMFH.

But then, thank goodness the tormentors are "Christians", right?
Anand Giridharadas
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Meanwhile in a school district not far away, a young teacher has a conversation with the new principal.

Her: Hey, did you know that before school there is a preacher in my music room holding some sort of bible revival in the mornings?

Principal: Well yeah, the students are there voluntarily and it is a good Christian preacher.

Her: There are no other adults in the room, no teachers. On school property. Does the school have permission from their parents?

Principal: Well no, but this is not going on during school hours so it’s OK.

Her: So if a student is having issues and confides in me that they are gay, what am I expected to do?

Principal: Well we need to notify their parents. That is a matter of parental rights.

Her: So this isn’t so much about parental rights or protecting kids from indoctrination as it is about homophobia then?

That was a rhetorical question.

The teacher turned in her resignation the next day. About 15 other teachers turned in their resignations that same week. The school was already down a couple of teachers this semester. No idea where they will get that many new teachers over the summer. One class had a revolving door of substitutes, none of them stayed more than three weeks because between the kids and the parents it was a nightmare. This is one of the more prosperous Johnson County districts and every child is entitled to good grades because they are going to a good college.

She already has another job. Better pay and better benefits but teaching was something she loved. I remember seeing her students get a big grin on their faces as they walked off stage after playing a concert and giving her a high five as they walked by. She is just waiting for her girlfriend to finish graduate school at KU so they can consider moving to a State that isn’t so intent on making “their kind” feel uncomfortable.

Feral, you know this young woman. She is the same one that walked into Graden Elementary wearing her Jayhawk sweatshirt the day after a KU loss to MU. A teacher, Mizzou grad, stopped her in the hallway. “You have some nerve walking in here this morning in a Jayhawk shirt”. The second grader stopped and turned to the teacher, “I am always proud to be a Jayhawk”. She spun around and walked on down the hall. This was reported to me later by her older sister when they got home from school. The State of Kansas is going to lose a good one.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Higher Education has been stealing away the best and brightest from rural America and opening their eyes to the fact that there is SO much more out there than what their little towns have to offer for generations. No wonder they hate it and see it as the end of their way of life.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

teachers unions are close to the biggest villians.

love teachers. hate teachers unions.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:15 am teachers unions are close to the biggest villians.

love teachers. hate teachers unions.
In general, I think the concept of unions is a little out of control but teachers unions are far from the biggest villains. That's just corny. There are actual evil people out there so stupid comments like that are just as dumb as the over the top comments made by the far left that make their actual message hard to take seriously.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

when i am constantly reminded that there is a teachers union. the term "shut up and teach" always comes to mind.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:24 am when i am constantly reminded that there is a teachers union. the term "shut up and teach" always comes to mind.
How does one "shut up and teach?"
Defense. Rebounds.