KU vs WSU

Kansas Basketball.
NewtonHawk11

Re: KU vs WSU

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

randylahey wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:24 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:03 pm Intrust Bank Arena is fine. It seats like 15K. 10K of those will be Wichita St peeps, the remaining will be KU fans.

Don't care who we play or where we play them. Let's just play.
Might be more even than that. Wichita is full of KU fans, and the shocker bandwagoners have all but disappeared. The 3 year stretch Greg Marshall had is a few years in the past
I've long thought they should alternate the annual KC game and go to KC one year, Wichita the next. Lots of Jayhawks in Wichita and further west that would come to that game that may not be able to come to AFH consistently.

Bill has played in Wichita twice in 20 years. And that was the tournament in 2018. Should be more, tbh.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Wichita is closer to AFH than it is KC.

I don't see a scenario without rotating Lawrence in, that's the absolute floor and it's already awful.
Otherwise, you're rotating from Wichita to Missouri to play the Shockers.
Wut
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

every single holiday season KU, whichita st, ksu and misery should converge on KC for a two game holiday extravaganza.

***for the dim bulbs. we will not play ksu in the holiday extravaganza.***
Last edited by MICHHAWK on Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

That would mean we could beat ksu five times in one season.

Kinda boring.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

such a set up would provide more exposure for the other programs while taking spots in the schedule that could be filled with more meaningful matchups

such a dumb idea
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Why are we so concerned about exposure for other schools?

We're fucking Kansas. We're better than everyone.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I like the idea or alternating wichita and kansas city for games against wichita state. We aren't gonna do home and away, no reason to play @wsu, koch only holds like 10k

Kansas fans probably outnumber wsu fans in wichita. Wsu is several years removed from being good. And interest from casual fans has plummeted
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:49 am Why are we so concerned about exposure for other schools?

by that same rationale, why should KU throw those programs a bone?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

for the fans. for the alums. for the communities. for the state. for the fun.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:54 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:49 am Why are we so concerned about exposure for other schools?

by that same rationale, why should KU throw those programs a bone?
Exactly.

I mostly don't like this because it's not a straight home and home ( Sprint Center blows ) and because they scheduled it two days before something that actually matters, the B12.

For me, Wichita State feels more like a every other season deal - schedule a game in AFH in 23 and 27. A game in Wichita in 25 and 29.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Weenies

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:32 amWeenies
wouldn’t you rather those slots be filled with an Alabama, Arkansas, UConn, etc.?

i would
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Don't care because we'll win the games anyway.

The committee gave Houston a #1 seed last year ahead of Kansas, who played the hardest schedule ever, with their weak ass schedule.

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

to each they’re own
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Weenies is not the right word.
I’m not “scared” to play them.
I just don’t have the interest.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

WSUck is garbage. Their fans are worse than KSU's in terms of inferiority complex and antagonism. Rewarding them with a series, especially one that includes games in Wichita, is a mistake.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Omaha, North Dakota st, southern utah, Texas southern, seton hall and Harvard were all on our schedule last season and we still had the "toughest schedule ever"

Wsu can take one of those slots. Not every single game is going to be duke/Kentucky caliber matchups
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

From my perspective, WSU is nothing to us. Not a rival, not a recruiting competitor, simply not distinguishable from three dozen other mid-majors who matter every fourth or fifth year.

Granted, I am not from Kansas. So I don't have whatever pathos some of you seem to have (which I'm not mocking).
hoopla

Post by hoopla »

i am from Wichita. i don't think its all that interesting for KU to go there. however, there are many schools that regularly play the smaller schools in their state as part of the non-con and its no big deal and presumably do so for legitimate reasons like they both receive state funding or there's a crossover of fans. that may not be you, but as mentioned above there are loads of KU fans in wichita (e.g. i grew up playing in my driveway shooting 3s as haase not someone on WSU roster).
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

https://kuathletics.com/kansas-city-spo ... le-center/

Nuetral site game hosted by KC Sports Commission. Have to get tickets through there.