Wildfires

Coffee talk.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Wildfires

Post by KUTradition »

much of Lahaina believed to be lost to fire
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:03 pm much of Lahaina believed to be lost to fire
Apparently, that was the capital of the kingdom of Hawaii before we rescued them.

I turned on the news two weeks ago at 6 am Sunday, and the lead story was about 3 hotels that had burnt to the ground and 10,000 tourists evacuated on the Island of Rhodes, Greece, due to wildfires. Before the story ended they increased the # of tourists evacuated to 17,000.

They interviewed a woman from the UK who said they knew there were fires and they could smell smoke all day, but were told twice by the hotel mgmt that there was nothing to worry about. The 3rd update came in the form of a "Run for you lives" announcement, and they didn't even have time to return to their rooms before having to flee. They considered themselves lucky.

https://flic.kr/p/2oPtDCF
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

It’d be nice if us, Duke, UCLA and whomever else is in the every-four-years category did something large here.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i’ve got a buddy that splits time between Maui and Denver…he just happens to be in Denver right now

he’s still waiting hear from all his friends
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

~1K still missing

such a tragedy. being compared to the Camp fire, and razing of Paradise
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:14 pm It’d be nice if us, Duke, UCLA and whomever else is in the every-four-years category did something large here.
It would be great if Oprah Winfrey would open up her 2,000 acres of private land for refugees rather than looking for photo ops handing out Costco items at overcrowded shelters.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

JKLivin wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:22 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:14 pm It’d be nice if us, Duke, UCLA and whomever else is in the every-four-years category did something large here.
It would be great if Oprah Winfrey would open up her 2,000 acres of private land for refugees rather than looking for photo ops handing out Costco items at overcrowded shelters.
^^^

She could learn a lot:

https://youtu.be/wbWSHUh6IB4
Anand Giridharadas
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Feral wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:38 pm
^^^

She could learn a lot:

He’s living rent-free in your head, Doc. Jussayin’.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

JKLivin wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:49 pm

^^^

She could learn a lot:

While quoting Qusdahl is arguably an improvement, I'm not sure it's the win you think it is:
ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:12 am still living rent free!

But maybe I should take that to the landlords thread.
Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Pretty sure they need supplies more than they need an empty plot of land to sit on with nothing to eat or drink while inhaling smoke and being at risk of being killed by the fire.

It's amazing the stupid things you find to complain about although I assume you saw this compliant on your social media feed and are just echoing it here.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

My boss and her family have been on vacation to Hawaii for the last 2 weeks, arriving home today. They spent much of it on Maui but it sounds like they had already planned to move to the main island a few days ago. Curious to hear more details as to how this all unfolded. What a horrible tragedy. There are going to be parts of that island that may take decades to return to its former glory as the decline of tourism dollars is going to have massive effects.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Feral wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:00 pm
JKLivin wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:49 pm

^^^

She could learn a lot:

While quoting Qusdahl is arguably an improvement, I'm not sure it's the win you think it is:
ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:12 am still living rent free!

But maybe I should take that to the landlords thread.
When more than one person sees it, there might be something to it.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

twocoach wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:12 pm
Pretty sure they need supplies more than they need an empty plot of land to sit on with nothing to eat or drink while inhaling smoke and being at risk of being killed by the fire.

It's amazing the stupid things you find to complain about although I assume you saw this compliant on your social media feed and are just echoing it here.
I don’t do social media. This is my one time suck. Besides, it’s not an either/or proposition. Take supplies to your land, set up shelters and portable sanitation. Not as glamorous as “You get a new car and you get a new car,” but probably more useful under the circumstances.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

JKLivin wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:18 pm

I don’t do social media. This is my one time suck. Besides, it’s not an either/or proposition. Take supplies to your land, set up shelters and portable sanitation. Not as glamorous as “You get a new car and you get a new car,” but probably more useful under the circumstances.
She went to local shelters that already exist and that already have sanitation, asked them what they needed most and then went and bought those things and brought them back to those who need them. Shampoo, diapers, food, water, pillows. People posted about it on social media. She didn't do it for the media exposure, dumbass.

WTF is wrong with you? Only an idiot would think that hiring dozens of workers to spend days to construct some sort of temporary shelter would be more helpful than just running down to Costco and filling your car with the exact supplies that the people at the existing shelter said they needed most.
Last edited by twocoach on Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

twocoach wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:27 pm

She went to local shelters that already exist and that already have sanitation, asked them what they needed most and then went and bought those things and brought them back to those who need them. Shampoo, diapers, food, water, pillows. People posted about it on social media. She didn't do it for the media exposure, dumbass.

WTF is wrong with you?
Cool story, bro. Didn’t realize you and Oprah talked about her motives. Her track record says otherwise.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

WTF is wrong with you?
^^^^
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

JKLivin wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:28 pm

WTF is wrong with you?
Cool story, bro. Didn’t realize you and Oprah talked about her motives. Her track record says otherwise.
Forgetting track records, what have you done for the people in Maui?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:36 pm
JKLivin wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:28 pm

WTF is wrong with you?
Forgetting track records, what have you done for the people in Maui?
I’m oUtRAgEd for them. Also, I don’t own property on an island where I don’t reside like Jeff Bezos, Owen Wilson, Mick Fleetwood, and the aforementioned Ms. Winfrey, none of whom seem much interested in the plight of their neighbors.