Crimson/Blue Fest headcount 2023

Coffee talk.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Crimson/Blue Fest headcount 2023

Post by Shirley »

I too would gladly provide my 50,000' view of the festivities, but it's not easy to do when you're passed out on the floor.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

About 2am I brushed something off my face, it was the floor.
Defense. Rebounds.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Dinner tonight, alone, was worth the trip.

David McCormack is about to do some work.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Amazing Dinner this evening. And oh….the Chocoflan!!!!

Japhy was a great host. Today was a great end to a great trip.

So good to spend the time with great people and relive some amazing KU ball.

Pro Tip: If Japhy puts it together.,..just show up.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

The attendees all agreed, it was one of the finest memorial services any of us have gotten stoned at.

Leawood would have loved it.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

japhy wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:57 pm Image

The Sunday Morning Coffee Club in the Empire.
Is there a decoder ring, for the naive newbie?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

near nuff super moon over the Frontier on Monday night
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

we stopped at the Chavez Market and got the good stuff this morning
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

tonight's super moon from the edge of town by the grain elevators
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

zsn wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:40 pm

Is there a decoder ring, for the naive newbie?
All I can tell you is that that's Jello Biafra's old roommate and his blushing bride in the middle and Dok the wonderdog on our left.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

https://youtu.be/1QH1Je-RVy0

The crew that went with me this morning got a rare treat.

We went to La Florida and saw the world's first Nubian vault made with adobe using a 3D printer. A Nubian vault is an old technique that uses gravity and a specific pattern of laying material to build a vaulted roof without supporting falsework.

My buddy Ron is kind of a genius.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

did Dok get in trouble? that’s quite the vice grip lol
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Overlander wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:31 pm
I would tell you all who we mostly agreed we wished could have made it. That list would surprise some of you.
oh comeon we all know you wanna meet randy and lobster....and meet the character that masquerades as mich
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

In 2025, can we have it on like a Thursday through Sunday?
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

Is this going to be annual?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

TDub wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:22 am
Overlander wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:31 pm
I would tell you all who we mostly agreed we wished could have made it. That list would surprise some of you.
oh comeon we all know you wanna meet randy and lobster....and meet the character that masquerades as mich
I was hoping to meet, above all, DC and Gutter.

It really was awesome to meet some of the board members for the first time…and visit again with many of them that I have already met.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

oh man.

just finally getting back to reality and catching up on internet time. Was gonna try to live blog but you loose cell service quick in the empire.

you guys already saw the first creek I fished in those previous pics. Saturday I drove up a forest road with dispersed camping, fished til dark then threw up a tent, and made it to town by 8am for coffee.

next day, get some intel from Japhy about another creek that might have cutthroats. I wander up another forest road and find it, tho this place is more high-deserty. The sagebrush and cedar and juniper and such makes the place feel more like a brown trout stream, rather than the spruce and fir and aspen sorts of environs you usually find cutties. It also seems rattlesnakey.

Nevertheless, might as well check it out. Within a few minutes, into more fish...yup, browns. Try a couple other spots and catch a few more to be sure. Maybe there's cutties further up, if I just keep wandering as far as the creek can go, but the road keeps getting gnarlier too. The same kinda stuff that chewed up Defixione's tire. Plus, there's this monster cloud clapping thunder, and getting closer and closer. Plus, tired of having to poke a stick as I walk thru the sagebrush for rattler insurance. Plus, this is browns and I'm looking for cutties. Plus, this place is a pain in the ass to fish. The whole creek is overgrown with willows and cottonwoods.

This is one of the most open stretches of the entire creek. For real, how are you even supposed to get a cast off in there?

thunderdome
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

so, still in search of cutties, I refer to the state fishing reg handbook. I find page with the map of all the water in the Empire. On a few other area creeks, there's a particular regulation: "all cutthroat trout must be released." I figure that's as good a sign as any there's cutthroats there, right?

So I drive down to splash around. But, once I'm there, I quickly decide that even by my standards, this creek's just not worth fishing.

maybe there's irrigation diversions or something that might mean the creek is paradoxically bigger at some point higher in the basin? I dunno. Wasn't feeling optimistic so didn't bother looking. Besides, wanted to get back in time for dinner:

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

next morning...game day!

Before, got time to check out the most promising creek yet: one not only with the "all cutthroats must be released" reg, but also the one mentioned by the wook working the fly shop in South Fork.

I put it in google maps. It's like 36 miles away, but says it'll take 2 hours. Oh boy, more crawly forest roads! And forest road's even trashier cousin, washboarded out county roads too!

random cool old building on the way out

after bouncing up increasingly shitty roads holding my breath I don't get Defixione'd (or if I do have to get Defixione'd, at least let me get saved again by a hippie chick in a sun dress with a sawsall...I digress)...

...something resembling a fishable creek!

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

pretty area my kinda place
Just Ledoux it