Crimson/Blue Fest headcount 2023

Coffee talk.
defixione
Contributor

Re: Crimson/Blue Fest headcount 2023

Post by defixione »

I'll be there in a week tidying the place up for our visitors!
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I've only glimpsed a couple of youtube videos, but the three-dimensional history to be seen on this trip is going to be spectacular. I am referring to both the geologic history and the cultural. This area was a crossroads of incredible importance at many different points in human time. I am sorry for those that cannot attend. I know from previous travels that the chance to spend time with with a local guide(s) is priceless.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anyone know why japhy hasn't mentioned this?

It would appear to be rather conveniently located vis-a-vis Center, Co., and yet, silence.

What doesn't he want us to know?

https://flic.kr/p/2oQwcQ9
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

We will likely pass thru the intersection of 112 and 17 on Tuesday. It's a short detour to the watchtower.

The vortex at the watchtower is a portal to another vortex located in an old cistern in my backyard in KC. The cistern is also the last resting place of Jimmy Hoffa. When I want to get to the Empire quickly I use the wormhole that connects the two portals and I can make the trip in seconds. If too many people started using the portals it would slow shit down to where I might as well fuckin drive out.

Stay off my lawn god damnit!
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

There is also an alligator farm just off the highway between Hooper and Mosca. They raise them in the water from a hot spring.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Can we just have the next Crimson/Blue Fest at Stull Cemetary?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

japhy wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:51 pm We will likely pass thru the intersection of 112 and 17 on Tuesday. It's a short detour to the watchtower.

The vortex at the watchtower is a portal to another vortex located in an old cistern in my backyard in KC. The cistern is also the last resting place of Jimmy Hoffa. When I want to get to the Empire quickly I use the wormhole that connects the two portals and I can make the trip in seconds. If too many people started using the portals it would slow shit down to where I might as well fuckin drive out.

Stay off my lawn god damnit!
Have you told them about 'the lights'?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Those of you going to Antonito/Conejos with me will likely meet Cano Espinosa. His ancestors are a notorious group in the valley.

https://www.legendsofamerica.com/outlaw-espinosagang/
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

japhy wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:12 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zprRZ2wFQD4
underrated dude
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

japhy wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:34 am This morning when the sun came up it was 49 degrees in the Empire. To the west you can see the San Juan Mts and the edge of the La Garita caldera which is the remnants of one of the largest supervolcanoes ever to erupt. The morning sun gives the mountains a rosy hue most mornings.

Two weeks from today we will have finished eating breakfast at the Sunflour Cafe and our convoy will be pulling into Antonito to see the history and the future of a unique culture.

In my discussion of hats/gear I think I forgot to mention "boots".....wear boots.

My oldest daughter says she feels like we should listen to Los Lobos when we drive around out here. She makes a good point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bADdLBOxqI
I won't need "boots", because all I plan to do is sit by the pool, order drinks, and acclimate. Going from 11' to 7,644' above sea level, is more than nothing.

I have to compliment your daughter's taste.

Back in ~ '83 before he opened the Grand Emporium at 39th & Broadway in KC, Roger Neighbor was a local music promoter and president of the KC Blues Society. Parody Hall on 39th booked a lot of R&R, reggae, salsa, blues etc., but it was only open at night. The Lonestar in Westport featured 80's (hair) cover bands at night, but was also open during the day. Neighbor was tuned into the bands crisscrossing the midwest, and when he could, as in the case of Los Lobos, he would snag bands traveling between their Friday and Sat night gigs when they came close to KC and book them at the Lonestar on Sat afternoons. When it worked out, the bands were glad to add more $ to their tour by adding an extra show.

Saturdays were for studying, all day and late into the night. I was conflicted but couldn't bare not to go. It came at a good time. My father had just died, I was separated from my soon to be x-wife, medical school had just started and was really hard, and nearly all the students I knew that I had matriculated from Wichita with were married and had kids, or were refugees from fraternaties with whom I had little in common. I had also just moved to KC which was a whole 'nother set of problems, but considering everything else that had been going on, more than a hassle, moving felt like an escape, and a chance at a new beginning.

So, on a fall, Sat afternoon ~ 1:30, Los Lobos played at the Lonestar in Westport on their way to a gig at a club that night in Lincoln. (Can't remember the name of the club, but it was well-known for having great live music.) Los Lobos lit the place up. It was absolutely packed, the Lonestar has a huge dance floor, people were into it, and Los Lobos responded. It was very much a particularly fine day.

One year later in Nov of '84 I had a reserved front row balcony seat to see Springsteen at Kemper arena, but it was on a Monday night and I had a huge microbiology test the next morning so, I sold the ticket. I've always regretted it. Mainly because, despite staying up all night cramming, I still did terrible on the test, anyway.
Anand Giridharadas
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Feral wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:49 pm
japhy wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:34 am This morning when the sun came up it was 49 degrees in the Empire. To the west you can see the San Juan Mts and the edge of the La Garita caldera which is the remnants of one of the largest supervolcanoes ever to erupt. The morning sun gives the mountains a rosy hue most mornings.

Two weeks from today we will have finished eating breakfast at the Sunflour Cafe and our convoy will be pulling into Antonito to see the history and the future of a unique culture.

In my discussion of hats/gear I think I forgot to mention "boots".....wear boots.

My oldest daughter says she feels like we should listen to Los Lobos when we drive around out here. She makes a good point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bADdLBOxqI
I won't need "boots", because all I plan to do is sit by the pool, order drinks, and acclimate. Going from 11' to 7,644' above sea level, is more than nothing.
The wife and I will more than likely end up at the hot springs pools at Great Sand Dunes.

Great bar, and surprisingly good food to snack on.
All are welcome to come hand out
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

For all of you leaving the Valley to go back to KC

https://youtu.be/-X3hdFWmerQ
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Feral wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:49 pm
I have to compliment your daughter's taste.
My daughters' first concert was Los Lobos. They were playing on the deck at the Liberty Memorial for some big black tie charity event. We were eating dinner in Midtown and as we are leaving, from the car we could see the lights at the Liberty Memorial. I recalled they were playing, a friend of mine was the main sponsor for the thing. "Hey, let's drive up there and see if we can hear the concert!" We get to the entry gate and there are these large metal panels on posts that mark the sidewalk up to the party. My friend's company built the panels. They were part of a mockup for a building facade. My wife and my daughters, 7 and 9, walk up to the entrance with me. We were obviously not in black tie and gowns. I started looking at the panels and pointing and explaining how they worked to my daughters. The two security guys walk over and they start asking questions. I hold forth on the engineering and the materials and then motion for the girls to walk on into the party while I distracted. As soon as the girls got into the crowd, I said my "goodbyes" to my new security dude friends, and they thanked me for all of the insights, and I walked right in like I was supposed to be there. They never asked for my ticket. We get onto the deck and the place is packed and we knew multiple people there including the big host. He starts laughing and looks at the girls, "what are you doing here?". "We heard there was a party and Los Lobo's was playing", he laughed and motioned us in. We stuck out in the crowd of formal attire so we slid off to the side of the stage and stood with the crew. After about two songs my daughters walked out to the front of the stage and climbed up and sat down on the stage in front of David Hidalgo like they were supposed to be there. He was in mid song and looked down at them and then over at his bandmates like "where did these kids come from?", but he never missed a beat. They played the set and he kept singing to the girls like it was their private concert. At one point their mom yells between songs, "PLAY KIKO!". The two little girls at the front of the stage say, "yeah, play Kiko!". Hidalgo starts laughing and turns to the band and says, "someone wants to hear Kiko". They all nod their heads and laugh and play the request. The show ends and the girls wave to their new buddies and walk off the stage and come over to us and they are excited and talking about the guitars and the playing techniques; and suddenly security shows up. "Do you have tickets?" "Why no, what was your first clue?" "You have to leave." "Well, the show is over, so we were just about to head that way." My friends were waving and laughing as we got perp walked as a family out of the party. The girls were pretty quiet until security left us and then they were on fire. Not only did they get to see their first real rock concert SITTING ON THE STAGE, but they also got kicked out by security! Their first rock show is a much beloved story of a family gone wrong. Both of my daughters taught themselves to play the guitar over the course of the next couple of years. They can both play by ear. I have no clue how they do it.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

So, it's "daughters" plural not "daughter's" possessive, and this is your way of trolling me as the grammar police.

smh

Oh, and cool story.
Anand Giridharadas
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Feral wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:19 am So, it's "daughters" plural not "daughter's" possessive, and this is your way of trolling me as the grammar police.
My eldest daughter singular is the one (singular) who feels Los Lobos is the appropriate road trip soundtrack for the SLV. And it was my daughters' plural whose first concert was Los Lobos.

It's not always about you.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

TDub wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:32 pm underrated dude
To say his music could be dark is an understatement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kepfnsVFFag
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Getting shit ready for the Crimson/Blue fest.

One thing we do not have in the Spud Lounge is a cherubim for the Leawood Memorial Shrine. I put this one together today and feely pretty fuckin good about it. I showed it to god and asked if it looked real. She said they source the cherubim from China now and this looks pretty much how they do when they come out of the shipping container, so we will go with that.