Exercise/fitness

Ugh.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Exercise/fitness

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:07 pm
Sparko wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:21 pm Fitness starts with vaccinations. Let us all get on board
Fitness makes vaccinations pointless. Dumb dumb dumb
Lol wut
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:22 am
Sparko wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:21 pm Fitness starts with vaccinations. Let us all get on board
Lol wut
I'd be reluctant to challenge Randy's medical acumen if I were you, jfish.

After all, he got "everything right" when it came to Covid-19.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

#special
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Feral wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:26 am

Lol wut

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:33 pm
ousdahl wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:25 pm without debating whether vaccines specifically should be pointed to in an exercise/fitness thread, I think it's fair to say there really are a LOT of factors at play here.

healthy food tends to be more expensive, and less available/accessible. And cooking a wholesome meal is difficult to do when we also gotta work all day. and on and on and on.

but if we're gonna pick a single culprit to scapegoat, I'll say sugar.

yknow what I blame? people content with doing nothing. Maybe in a roundabout way I blame my favorite enemy....technology.

I also am always somehow surprised about how many of my friends (and people in general...when I've lived both city and rural) are content to sit and eat and drink and watch TV or.... do...nothing when we get together...

Its like hey...instead of that...lets cook...and drink if ya want....but also....work on this fence while you're here...or...lets take food and go for a hike and eat up there....or...lets have a couple beers while we're accomplishing something else....anything else.....even just walking around. Also.. (when I had time and money to golf) do we really need a damn golf cart to play 9 holes? like...we're not that old, our legs still work...maybe we can walk it?
I think there very much is some “people content with doing nothing” element to it.

But I also think there’s very much some systemic element to it, too; that is just as much to blame, and even chicken-and-eggy with, the individualistic elements.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:13 am
ousdahl wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:25 pm without debating whether vaccines specifically should be pointed to in an exercise/fitness thread, I think it's fair to say there really are a LOT of factors at play here.

healthy food tends to be more expensive, and less available/accessible. And cooking a wholesome meal is difficult to do when we also gotta work all day. and on and on and on.

but if we're gonna pick a single culprit to scapegoat, I'll say sugar.

yknow what I blame? people content with doing nothing. Maybe in a roundabout way I blame my favorite enemy....technology.

I also am always somehow surprised about how many of my friends (and people in general...when I've lived both city and rural) are content to sit and eat and drink and watch TV or.... do...nothing when we get together...

Its like hey...instead of that...lets cook...and drink if ya want....but also....work on this fence while you're here...or...lets take food and go for a hike and eat up there....or...lets have a couple beers while we're accomplishing something else....anything else.....even just walking around. Also.. (when I had time and money to golf) do we really need a damn golf cart to play 9 holes? like...we're not that old, our legs still work...maybe we can walk it?
I think there very much is some “people content with doing nothing” element to it.

But I also think there’s very much some systemic element to it, too; that is just as much to blame, and even chicken-and-eggy with, the individualistic elements.
I think technology has rendered most jobs today essentially sedentary. That makes exercise an intentional undertaking - a form of self-discipline - but most people I talk to end up undoing the good they might do by exercising with their eating habits. Either way, it seems like a lot of folks either rely too much on diet or too much on exercise when the two seem to have a somewhat synergistic effect on one another.

My overall health has improved significantly since I started intermittent fasting 18 hours a day and exercising 5 to 6 days a week. There is some interesting research about the power of autophagy that intermittent fasting unlocks. It is pretty rough for the first three weeks or so, but then you get used to it. The hardest part thereafter is just having to turn down lunch invitations.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

“I think technology has rendered most jobs today essentially sedentary.”

That could be considered part of the systemic issues.

Maybe even the part about lunch invitations too.

(But I was thinking more how the “free market” values cheap, preservative-rich, addictive-behavior-tending sorts of fast foods, over fresh healthy stuff.

And sugar! Walk into a 7-11 (happy day btw) and try to find something that DOESNT have sugar in it)
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:29 am “I think technology has rendered most jobs today essentially sedentary.”

(But I was thinking more how the “free market” values cheap, preservative-rich, addictive-behavior-tending sorts of fast foods, over fresh healthy stuff.

And sugar! Walk into a 7-11 (happy day btw) and try to find something that DOESNT have sugar in it)
So true. I do a keto diet for the most part, and finding ready-made foods that aren't laden with sugar and preservatives is a chore. I wish I were rich like Joe Rogan and could just have elk steak for my meal every day, but I usually settle for hamburger, chicken, steak, and/or eggs, all of which involve more prep time than I would like. When I was single, I ate all my meals from the convenience store or the drive-through. It was faster, but I also felt like garbage all the time. Definitely a trade-off.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:29 am “I think technology has rendered most jobs today essentially sedentary.”

I try not to do my grocery shopping at 7-11

I get your point...but still...7-11....why would anyone buy their food there?
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

among other things…systemic issues?

If you live in a poor urban area and/or have limited access to transportation and/or don’t have time to prepare healthy meals and/or can’t afford Whole Foods and/or there’s not often a Whole Foods in poor urban areas to begin with…
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Or, for that matter, poor rural areas and small towns and such too
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:11 am Or, for that matter, poor rural areas and small towns and such too
you think poor people and rural.people do their grocery shopping at 7-11?

There are options outside of the ridiculousness of whole foods too.

this discussion took a turn......perhaps you should too before you get to silly.
Last edited by TDub on Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just Ledoux it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

if you want to change your life. change your life.

if you are too lazy to change your life. what do i care. it's your life.

only i am in charge of my life. the buck stops here.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

TDub wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:16 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:11 am Or, for that matter, poor rural areas and small towns and such too

this discussion took a turn......perhaps you should too before you get to silly.
your point is absolutely valid

but, there is also the very real phenomenon of small towns loosing their grocers to the likes of dollar generals
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

JKLivin wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:24 am

I think technology has rendered most jobs today essentially sedentary. That makes exercise an intentional undertaking - a form of self-discipline - but most people I talk to end up undoing the good they might do by exercising with their eating habits. Either way, it seems like a lot of folks either rely too much on diet or too much on exercise when the two seem to have a somewhat synergistic effect on one another.

My overall health has improved significantly since I started intermittent fasting 18 hours a day and exercising 5 to 6 days a week. There is some interesting research about the power of autophagy that intermittent fasting unlocks. It is pretty rough for the first three weeks or so, but then you get used to it. The hardest part thereafter is just having to turn down lunch invitations.
I started intermittent fasting and exercising with intent, (walking 2 miles/day 6 days/week, or riding my bike 20 miles/day), almost a year and a half ago, and lost 25# within about 6 months. Being the most food-centric person in the history of the universe, I wasn't optimistic when I started. But I'd already failed the "I'll cut my calories and increase my exercise" gambit repeatedly, and decided to give it a try and throw in a 24-hour fast every week or two if I could.

I didn't want to set myself up for yet another fail, so my plan was to just start every day and see how far I could go. To my absolute and total surprise, in the first 4 days I did 2 24-hour fasts, not because I planned to, but because I could. I maintain the same approach now-I start every day seeing how long I can go, never eat in < 12 hours from my last meal, and generally go 16-18 hours without eating daily.

I've found skipping breakfast works best for me, but being retired and at home all day every day has its challenges, since there's nothing to keep me from walking a few steps and satisfying my urge to have just a little something... When I was working and too busy to think, it seemed like nothing to skip lunch, and I did it all the time. Another problem is that I only sleep ~ 4-5 hours/night, so I'm up at 4:30 or so, and hungry when I get up. It would be nice to sleep another couple of hours and not be awake to want to eat, but, whatevs...

I think the biggest revelation to me was how, even tho you haven't eaten in 12...16...20 hours, the hunger pangs aren't constant, but come and go in waves. I don't really feel hungry as much as I feel waves of nausea, but you learn to ignore them, and they do go away. Another pleasant surprise came when I was recently unable to exercise at all for 5 months due to back pain, but didn't gain any weight because of the discipline I've developed when it comes to eating.

I didn't start intermittent fasting for the autophagy, I mainly do it for the weight loss, but it's an added benefit:

...What causes autophagy?

Autophagy occurs when your body’s cells are deprived of nutrients or oxygen or if they’re damaged in some way.

Think of it this way: Autophagy is a recycling process that makes the most of a cell’s already-existing energy resources. The process ramps up when your body has to make the most of these resources because your cells aren’t getting them from an outside source.

With autophagy, a cell essentially eats itself to survive. The bonus is that this survival process can lead to cells that work more efficiently...
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:33 am
TDub wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:16 am

your point is absolutely valid

but, there is also the very real phenomenon of small towns loosing their grocers to the likes of dollar generals
And, in bigger cities, oftentimes gentrification is in fact resulting in Trader Joe's or Whole Foods setting up shop in more affluent areas, with lower-income areas being in "food deserts" (resulting in, yes, many folks buying groceries at gas stations and convenience stores).
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:41 am with lower-income areas being in "food deserts" (resulting in, yes, many folks buying groceries at gas stations and convenience stores).
Or not.

https://news.uchicago.edu/story/food-de ... tudy-finds

For decades, the conventional wisdom has been that people living in food deserts—defined as areas lacking in supermarkets with fresh produce and other nutritious items—have little choice but to buy unhealthy food at drugstores or convenience stores. But the data tell a different story.

A new Chicago Booth study finds that food deserts have no meaningful effect on eating habits. Exposing low-income households to the same products and prices as those in high-income households reduces nutritional inequality by only 9 percent while the remaining 91 percent of the nutrition gap is driven by difference in what shoppers prefer to buy, according to a National Bureau of Economic Research working paper published recently.

“One of the conclusions in our study is that opening a supermarket in a food desert has very little impact on the nutritional composition of households’ shopping baskets,” said Jean-Pierre Dubé, the Sigmund E. Edelstone Professor of Marketing at Chicago Booth, who co-authored the research along with New York University’s Hung Allcott and Stanford University’s Rebecca Diamond. “People in food deserts shop in supermarkets almost as frequently as people living in higher-income neighborhoods. They just travel longer distances to stores.”...

Among their findings:

--Households that earn less than $25,000 a year travel an average of 5 miles each way to buy groceries, clothing and household hardware, according to the data, while those that live in a food desert travel 7 miles. Even people who are poor, live in a food desert and don’t have a car still travel 2 miles.

--Households in food-desert zip codes buy almost 90 percent of their groceries from supermarkets.

--Wealthier households tend to place a higher value on healthy foods and nutrients, while poorer households tend to value unhealthy ones. High-income households (making more than $70,000 a year) are willing to pay almost double for the daily recommended quantity of vegetables and nearly three times more for daily recommended quantity of fruit, the researchers estimate. By contrast, low-income households (making less than $25,000 a year) are willing to pay more for sugar and saturated fats....

The authors also found that education and nutrition knowledge are strongly associated with the differences in preferences across income groups. While these findings are not causal, they may suggest that policies aimed at nutrition education may be more effective at closing the nutrition gap than subsidies and grants meant to encourage building more supermarkets and farmers markets in food deserts.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Feral wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:40 am
JKLivin wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:24 am

I started intermittent fasting and exercising with intent, (walking 2 miles/day 6 days/week, or riding my bike 20 miles/day), almost a year and a half ago, and lost 25# within about 6 months. Being the most food-centric person in the history of the universe, I wasn't optimistic when I started. But I'd already failed the "I'll cut my calories and increase my exercise" gambit repeatedly, and decided to give it a try and throw in a 24-hour fast every week or two if I could.

I didn't want to set myself up for yet another fail, so my plan was to just start every day and see how far I could go. To my absolute and total surprise, in the first 4 days I did 2 24-hour fasts, not because I planned to, but because I could. I maintain the same approach now-I start every day seeing how long I can go, never eat in < 12 hours from my last meal, and generally go 16-18 hours without eating daily.

I've found skipping breakfast works best for me, but being retired and at home all day every day has its challenges, since there's nothing to keep me from walking a few steps and satisfying my urge to have just a little something... When I was working and too busy to think, it seemed like nothing to skip lunch, and I did it all the time. Another problem is that I only sleep ~ 4-5 hours/night, so I'm up at 4:30 or so, and hungry when I get up. It would be nice to sleep another couple of hours and not be awake to want to eat, but, whatevs...

I think the biggest revelation to me was how, even tho you haven't eaten in 12...16...20 hours, the hunger pangs aren't constant, but come and go in waves. I don't really feel hungry as much as I feel waves of nausea, but you learn to ignore them, and they do go away. Another pleasant surprise came when I was recently unable to exercise at all for 5 months due to back pain, but didn't gain any weight because of the discipline I've developed when it comes to eating.

I didn't start intermittent fasting for the autophagy, I mainly do it for the weight loss, but it's an added benefit:

...What causes autophagy?

Autophagy occurs when your body’s cells are deprived of nutrients or oxygen or if they’re damaged in some way.

Think of it this way: Autophagy is a recycling process that makes the most of a cell’s already-existing energy resources. The process ramps up when your body has to make the most of these resources because your cells aren’t getting them from an outside source.

With autophagy, a cell essentially eats itself to survive. The bonus is that this survival process can lead to cells that work more efficiently...
I still get the nausea/dizziness from time to time, but it is nowhere near as bad as it was the first three weeks.

I did the longer fasting protocol several years ago and went way overboard - like to where I was eating every third day. I had read Fung's The Obesity Code and listened to several podcasts talking about high energy levels and overall health improvements, so I went all-in, as I am wont to do with everything.

It was a struggle for the entire three months I did it. I was out of breath while was lecturing and would have to sit down in class, was sleeping two hours a night because I was exhausted but wired all the time, and ended up abandoning it when I came down with a case of shingles. The doctor said extreme stress can trigger it, and I was definitely stressed all the time.

I usually set a goal to wait to eat until between 5 and 6 PM and allow myself to eat until I go to bed about Midnight. I break protocol once in awhile if there is a work-related lunch event, but other than that, it has just become the way I live.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Feral wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:26 am

Lol wut

And he assuredly "has a friend" who just happens to be employed as a (fill in the blank to whatever conversation is being had).
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Fitness makes the COVID vaccine nearly pointless. Should have specified. Unless you are old. If you arent a fat ass, the virus poses virtually no threat. The vaccine was flawed. It had side effects, it did not stop transmission.

If you were a normal healthy person virus posed virtually no threat to you. A fraction of a percent.

As a said all along, the best defense against covid, or any virus, is just being healthy. Eat healthy and exercise