Patriotism

Ugh.
twocoach

Re: Patriotism

Post by twocoach »

Mjl wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:08 am Every thread here, perhaps rightly considering the context, is really negative. So I wanted to start a positive one, this one a pro-American one. Not like the ignorant kind saying it's the best country ever. But both sides seem to hate America these days.

The thing that made me start this was sitting here a bit high, thinking about the shit going down in Israel with the new laws minimizing the power of the judiciary. They don't have real separation between executive and legislative, so if they neuter the supreme court, the coalition with the small majority of votes can do anything they want. And they have no constitution to define what kind of laws they can pass.

Which makes me respect our system of separation of powers. The pieces all having different cadences (2 years, 4, 6, and lifetime) is such a great idea.

Whose was it?
I'll ignore all the dipshittery below this and roll with your perceived intentions.

I too, enjoy that we as a nation do try to maintain some semblance of separation of power and do try to prevent any one individual branch of the government from being unchecked by the others. It is an imperfect system but since there is no perfect system I am encouraged that over time, we will continue to make more progress.

Social media has made the problems of this nation look worse than they are. It gives a megaphone to those who are already the loudest and frequently, the least capable of shouting out a coherent, well thought out message. The whiners and complainers now have a more effective way to do their whinging and we all have to suffer for it.

As a nation, we are at a point where innovation allows us to both be more advanced and more lazy, to be more evolved and to be more stuck in our ways. It's a truly odd point in history although when you look back, aren't they all? Every era has their "WTF were they thinking at the time?" so this era of Trumpism isn't truly any more WTF in the scheme of things.

We will continue to make more advances than regressions, just as every generation has done before us. We are not more special or more broken than our predecessors. Overall, I am glad I was born to two Americans on American soil and that I am able to make a comfortable living and provide for my family's needs in this country.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Sparko wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:01 am Patriotism is doing what's best for one's country, divested as much as possible from corrupt selfishness. The left is mostly the side asking for sacrifice for the greater good. On everything from taxation to climate action. The right wing is in a cycle of violence and blaming others, playing on rampant selfishness to delay progress on several fronts, from civil rights to climate action.
Absolutely delusional

The left wants you to give up your rights, the foundation of this country, and turn over control of everything to the government, which is run/influenced by the greedist, most power hungry, most corrupt group of people on the planet. The people actually responsible for problems like climate change etc
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I was sitting in my "music room" last night a bit high, listening to Gillian Welch. It made me think, I forget sometimes what a great guitar player Dave Rawlings is.

....and time is a revelator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gEc5Pq50xo
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Sparko wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:01 am Patriotism is doing what's best for one's country, divested as much as possible from corrupt selfishness. The left is mostly the side asking for sacrifice for the greater good. On everything from taxation to climate action. The right wing is in a cycle of violence and blaming others, playing on rampant selfishness to delay progress on several fronts, from civil rights to climate action.
Also the cycle of violence is the wars we always seem to provoke and get involved. Something that happened instantly when biden took office and we started funding this Ukrainian fiasco
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

this is the wrong place for a discussion about patriotism. there do not appear to be many that like this country.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Patriotism doesn't support censorship, gun restrictions, and government regulations

Democrats do
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

The rejection of my "hate America" statement is fair.

What I'm getting at is somewhere between that and simply criticizing the government.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:18 am Patriotism doesn't support censorship, gun restrictions, and government regulations

Democrats do
How DARE you call the Second Amendment - our sacred Second Amendment, such a beautiful amendment - unpatriotic.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:54 am
Absolutely delusional

The left wants you to give up your rights, the foundation of this country, and turn over control of everything to the government, which is run/influenced by the greedist, most power hungry, most corrupt group of people on the planet. The people actually responsible for problems like climate change etc
What's delusional is thinking that this country was founded on something other than collective action and resolve.

Such a spoiled brat.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

the government is responsible for climate change?

that’s one of the dumbest things i’ve read on here…a high bar to be sure
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:49 am the government is responsible for climate change?

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i have disabled that thing on my car that shuts the car off when i stop. i am responsible for climate change. if there really is such a thing.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

they are canceling people for being patriotic.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:49 am the government is responsible for climate change?

Well that isn't even what I said. Try rereading
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Enes freedom might be an example of Patriotism.

https://twitter.com/EnesFreedom/status/ ... 0omRw&s=19
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

So Enes makes his millions with the NBA and then decides he wants more government control over the NBA?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

if china wants the nba. they can have it.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The right blames rather than working for solutions. Bots have little awareness of irony.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Mjl wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:33 am The rejection of my "hate America" statement is fair.

What I'm getting at is somewhere between that and simply criticizing the government.
^^^
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

As an attempt to create a positive thread, this is a failure.

As a social experiment depicting the rapidity and pervasiveness of the Widening Gyre, by contrast, it is top-notch.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto