Patriotism

Ugh.
Sparko
Contributor

Re: Patriotism

Post by Sparko »

A patriot wants our representative government to represent our best values and protect the future. I'll not criticize a government trying to ameliorate problems.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:52 am
KUTradition wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:49 am the government is responsible for climate change?

that’s one of the dumbest things i’ve read on here…a high bar to be sure
If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Reagan made sure people who are too snowflake to take responsibility for their own lives and disappointments could blame "the government" instead, 40 years ago.

https://flic.kr/p/2oP7nNi
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Don't forget about Reagan's 13.5% inflation rate.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

defixione wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:40 pm Don't forget about Reagan's 13.5% inflation rate.
Considering what he inherited, I tend to give him a pass on that. (Yes, I give too much...)

But nearly tripling the national debt ?

Not so much.
Anand Giridharadas
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:35 pm As an attempt to create a positive thread, this is a failure.

As a social experiment depicting the rapidity and pervasiveness of the Widening Gyre, by contrast, it is top-notch.
Thanks?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Mjl wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:05 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:35 pm As an attempt to create a positive thread, this is a failure.

As a social experiment depicting the rapidity and pervasiveness of the Widening Gyre, by contrast, it is top-notch.
Thanks?
Not meant as a critique of you or your desire to change the tone -- which is admirable.

Just a comment on the inevitable.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

There is an image of a pair of road signs in the video above at the 1:05 minute mark, bonus points if you can tell me where those signs are.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

japhy wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:34 pm There is an image of a pair of road signs in the video above at the 1:05 minute mark, bonus points if you can tell me where those signs are.
I generally don't enjoy listening to covers, but that really hit the spot, thanks.

No doubt because it evokes so many feelings from the time when the original came out in 1968. Turbulent times...

Is the intersection of the signs where the bull dozier was invented by a guy named Cummings?
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Sparko wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:27 pm
KUTradition wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:49 am the government is responsible for climate change?

that’s one of the dumbest things i’ve read on here…a high bar to be sure
The right blames rather than working for solutions. Bots have little awareness of irony.
it’s the government‘s fault

it’s immigrants’ fault

it’s minorities’ fault

it’s liberals’ fault

it’s the books’ fault

it’s green energy’s fault

but it’s not ever, ever the guns…
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Feral wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:57 pm
japhy wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:34 pm There is an image of a pair of road signs in the video above at the 1:05 minute mark, bonus points if you can tell me where those signs are.
I generally don't enjoy listening to covers, but that really hit the spot, thanks.

No doubt because it evokes so many feelings from the time when the original came out in 1968. Turbulent times...

Is the intersection of the signs where the bull dozier was invented by a guy named Cummings?
You would make a good navigator on the backroads.

The sisters have done some of the best covers of great songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfMcn6dNY34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJkbShz3c9Q

If you can make the songwriter cry while listening to their own song you did it good.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:54 am i have disabled that thing on my car that shuts the car off when i stop. i am responsible for climate change. if there really is such a thing.
You know what else you can do to prove you’re responsible for climate change? Burn a lot of paper, especially if it’s green and has numbers on it. More numbers more pollution. You can really really really stick to the liberals if pile up a bunch of money in your driveway and set it on fire!