Great Flood of ‘93, Thirty Years Later Thread

Coffee talk.
Back2Lawrence

Great Flood of ‘93, Thirty Years Later Thread

Post by Back2Lawrence »

I was going into my Junior year at KU. I remember going to the Riverfront Mall (see video) and watching the water, just like in this video below.

Best story is coming back from Jamaica the first part of August. But I’ll save that for when I’m in the mood to type it out.

For now, enjoy this ellipsis free post, and YouTube video. Where were you?

https://youtu.be/N2Y6UbfIW2s
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Great Flood of ‘93, Thirty Years Later Thread

Post by KUTradition »

my family had just purchased land north of town. i have very distinct memories of the completely submerged North 2nd train tunnel, and of all the impassable county roads out by the airport

i also recall visiting the Riverfront Mall (shoutout to the Big Dog outlet lol)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

My neighbor had just opened a store on the bottom floor of the mall and then the mall closed from the floods.

She unfortunately didn’t recover and her store went under again, financially.

I remember not being able to cross into North Lawrence.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

In Wichita watching the AreKansas River flood....and the pond at my house rising quickly
Just Ledoux it
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I was a postdoc, in Pittsburgh. My lab mate who was a postdoc in St Louis (still lives there) sent me a picture postcard - literally put a stamp on a picture and mailed it - showing the flooding from the top of the Arch. Don’t know how much after the flood started receding that he could go up, but there was a LOT of water, in places where there shouldn’t have been water.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

I had just moved to Lawrence from SF to go to grad school. I had found a storage unit/ warehouse to rent in North Lawrence and spent a lot of evenings crossing the bridge to town for a beverage. It was uncanny how, with each ensuing day, more and more people would line the levee and stand on the bridge watching the river rise. While passing by I heard a lot of comments about the river being the highest they'd ever seen it and concern about the levee failing. I had met a woman that owned a tiny house on the levee ( she's now my wife) and I was concerned about all this conversation. It's been 30 years and I've never seen the river even close to that volume.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Yeah Dex, I was driving home today and saw how low it was and thought ‘oh man, 93 was 30 years ago’. And couldn’t remember how high the water actually got. Thanks YouTube.

Btw, Ousdahl said we are basically neighbors.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It went higher than what was in the video. It got to the bottom of the mall.