2023-24 Bracketology

Kansas Basketball.
randylahey

Re: 2023-24 Bracketology

Post by randylahey »

This team does have wins against teams currently ranked 1, 5, 6, and 11. I wouldn't get too down, this team is capable of beating anyone. We have a good team, with good players. We just don't have elite athleticism, so we won't be a dominant team.

The season is going to be a grind. The conference is crazy good again. More losses will come. But come tourney time, we have the talent and experience to make a run
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

lunardi now has statie as one of the first four out

:lol:
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

prone to upsets, per B/R:

Projected Seed: 3

There is plenty to like about a Baylor rotation that features six double-digit scorers and a top-five perimeter clip in the nation. This has been one of the best offenses to watch in 2023-24.
On the other hand, we have to consider the defense.

Thanks to a slow pace, Baylor—which is 286th in that metric on KenPom—doesn't necessarily give up a ton of points. Still, the Bears are an ugly 334th in transition defense, per Hoop-Math.com.

An efficient, up-tempo offense like Samford or Kentucky on the opening weekend could be a bad matchup for Baylor.

Projected Seed: 3

The bright side is Iowa State boasts a tenacious defense, one that forces turnovers at the highest rate in the country. In the right situations, the Cyclones are an absolute nightmare.

But an ideal opponent will not always await in March.

So much of Iowa State's success hinges on that elite ability to disrupt defensively. Five of the Cyclones' six losses have occurred when the team has forced no more than 15 turnovers, and each one of those setbacks happened on a road or neutral court.

Even a potential low-seeded team—such as Princeton/Yale, Vermont or Charleston—that rarely cedes possession could give Iowa State a fight, let alone a No. 6-type opponent in the second round.

Star center Zach Edey is incredible. Braden Smith, Fletcher Loyer and Mason Gillis are excellent three-point shooters, and second-leading scorer Lance Jones is no slouch from the perimeter, either.

But we've seen this movie before.

Purdue has earned a No. 5 seed or better in each of the past seven NCAA tournaments. That span includes three first-round losses and a second-round exit to a No. 11 seed. Reaching the Sweet 16 is hardly a failure, but falling to 15th-seeded Saint Peter's in 2022 was nothing less than a disaster.

Sure, it's a new year and a new team. Virginia went from its historic loss to UMBC in 2018 to winning the national title in 2019, and Purdue is aiming to repeat that inglorious feat in 2024.

Not mentioning the Boilers, however, would be foolish based on the program's recent March Madness history.
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

I'm now predicting KU is going to play Indiana State in the 1st round and Dickinson is going to have a battle against Cream Abdul-Jabbar.

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i bet he’s a decent free throw shooter
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

KUTradition wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:56 pm i bet he’s a decent free throw shooter
He is. 81% on the season.
Dickinson was 80.2% his second season at UM. He's 64.5% this season. Maybe he's trying to miss? :shock:
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

South Florida?
Come on Katz.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

College basketball sucks this season. There, I said it.
USF is 20-1 in their last 20. I can't say for sure they aren't the 16th most "powerful" team in the country right now.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

least exciting, fun, college basketball season in quite some time really
Just Ledoux it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

TDub wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:10 pm least exciting, fun, college basketball season in quite some time really
they tend to be that way when your team is floundering.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story ... redictions

Vermont wouldn't be a team i'd be overly nervous about.
Can't rebound. Don't cause turnovers. Bad free throw shooters.

South Carolina would be like playing TCU which wouldn't be easy but you could see a win.

It's the matchup with UNC that would be quite the story and I think, just because we're in their heads, we'd probably win, even though they are much better than we are.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:41 am https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story ... redictions

South Carolina would be like playing TCU which wouldn't be easy but you could see a win.

It's the matchup with UNC that would be quite the story and I think, just because we're in their heads, we'd probably win, even though they are much better than we are.
One thing to note is that KU has almost certainly played themselves out of getting placed in Omaha for the first two rounds. Iowa State and Baylor are likely ahead of them now, pushing out to some random location like Pittsburgh in the most recent ESPN Bracket. Do that and KU will almost certainly be facing a road game type atmosphere with few KU fans there.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

pittsburgh is a great city. and much closer to MICHHAWK than omaha.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:22 am lunardi now has statie as one of the first four out

Of all our loses this season I think that one stings me the most. K state didn't even play well that day
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

UCF is a marginally better team than ksu but we had a 16 point lead on em.
That's the worst of the bunch.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:22 pm
KUTradition wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:22 am lunardi now has statie as one of the first four out

Of all our loses this season I think that one stings me the most. K state didn't even play well that day
I thought KState played pretty well for them. They are not very good. That was a top 3 or 4 performance for them on the entire season.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:08 pm
pdub wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:41 am https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story ... redictions

One thing to note is that KU has almost certainly played themselves out of getting placed in Omaha for the first two rounds. Iowa State and Baylor are likely ahead of them now, pushing out to some random location like Pittsburgh in the most recent ESPN Bracket. Do that and KU will almost certainly be facing a road game type atmosphere with few KU fans there.
Call me a bad fan (not undeserved!), but I cannot imagine spending meaningful money to watch this team in the tournament. At least for the first weekend, for sure.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:52 pm
twocoach wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:08 pm

Call me a bad fan (not undeserved!), but I cannot imagine spending meaningful money to watch this team in the tournament. At least for the first weekend, for sure.
I have free tickets if they play here in Omaha so I am selfishly hoping they get their shit together and win enough ganes to get here.