randylahey

Chinese biolab on American soil

Post by randylahey »

I know yall heard about this. In California
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Re: Chinese biolab on American soil

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

randylahey wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:03 pm I know yall heard about this. In California
What is Chinese about it?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:55 am
randylahey wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:03 pm I know yall heard about this. In California
https://twitter.com/larryelder/status/1 ... R9wSg&s=19
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

randylahey wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:51 am
Gotcha!
Yeah, I suppose it's "Chinese". I won't argue semantics with you. ;)
Isn't it great we live in a country and world where shit like this happens and goes un-noticed - until possibly it's "too late"?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Wait a sec, who detected this?

Because - and I admit sometimes it’s hard to keep track of the right’s villain of the week - I’m pretty sure you have expressed a fairly dim view of the CDC. Which I also understand to be, when convenient, part of the deep state.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

The cdc is worried about 1 thing and 1 thing only. Controlling diseases. That's fine.

The problem was, in regards to covid, everyone took the cdc wayyyyyyy too seriously. And ignored the fact that people still had lives to to live and there was a whole world of variables out there beyond just fixating on a virus that wasn't a threat to 90+% of people
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:20 am The cdc is worried about 1 thing and 1 thing only. Controlling diseases. That's fine.

The problem was, in regards to covid, everyone took the cdc wayyyyyyy too seriously. And ignored the fact that people still had lives to to live and there was a whole world of variables out there beyond just fixating on a virus that wasn't a threat to 90+% of people
So it’s “fine” that the CDC is engaged in the business of “controlling diseases”, but only when the scientists and doctors agree with the YouTubers you like.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I realize you already know everything when it comes to infectious diseases, Randy, but the first rule of pandemics, and especially ones that are previously unknown and transmitted respiratorily, is to overdo everything initially, because you can always back off later if possible, once more is known. Otherwise, by not doing so, the penalty for failure can be extremely dire.

Pro tip: There's a reason why, in late 2019, it was known as the "Novel Corona virus".

novel: new and original; not like anything seen before

Of course, if "overdoing everything initially" doesn't fit the political agenda of a demagogue who never takes responsibility for ANYTHING, and instead will do anything and everything possible to avoid taking responsibility, and who is willing to mislead and weaponize his naive supporters and the government to avoid reality, you end up with know-nothings like you, Hannity, Tucker, etc., etc., falling in line, and end up with results like this:

Once COVID Vaccines Were Introduced, More Republicans Died Than Democrats

...Since the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic, public health officials have warned that some of us are at higher risk of severe outcomes from the virus, due to factors such as age or preexisting medical conditions.

New research from Yale SOM points to another factor that puts people at greater risk of dying from COVID-19: party affiliation. The study finds that excess deaths during the pandemic were 76% higher among Republicans than Democrats in two states, Ohio and Florida. What’s more, the partisan gap in death rates increased significantly after vaccines were introduced...

The fates of Republicans and Democrats began to diverge markedly after the introduction of vaccines in April of 2021. Between March 2020 and March 2021, excess death rates for Republicans were 1.6 percentage points higher than for Democrats. After April 2021, the gap widened to 10.6 percentage points...

Take home lesson: Stupidity has consequences.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Feral wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:05 am I realize you already know everything when it comes to infectious diseases, Randy, but the first rule of pandemics, and especially ones that are previously unknown and transmitted respiratorily, is to overdo everything initially, because you can always back off later if possible, once more is known. Otherwise, by not doing so, the penalty for failure can be extremely dire.

Pro tip: There's a reason why, in late 2019, it was known as the "Novel Corona virus".

novel: new and original; not like anything seen before

Of course, if "overdoing everything initially" doesn't fit the political agenda of a demagogue who never takes responsibility for ANYTHING, and instead will do anything and everything possible to avoid taking responsibility, and who is willing to mislead and weaponize his naive supporters and the government to avoid reality, you end up with know-nothings like you, Hannity, Tucker, etc., etc., falling in line, and end up with results like this:

Once COVID Vaccines Were Introduced, More Republicans Died Than Democrats

...Since the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic, public health officials have warned that some of us are at higher risk of severe outcomes from the virus, due to factors such as age or preexisting medical conditions.

New research from Yale SOM points to another factor that puts people at greater risk of dying from COVID-19: party affiliation. The study finds that excess deaths during the pandemic were 76% higher among Republicans than Democrats in two states, Ohio and Florida. What’s more, the partisan gap in death rates increased significantly after vaccines were introduced...

The fates of Republicans and Democrats began to diverge markedly after the introduction of vaccines in April of 2021. Between March 2020 and March 2021, excess death rates for Republicans were 1.6 percentage points higher than for Democrats. After April 2021, the gap widened to 10.6 percentage points...

Vaccine efficacy targeted at libs? I smell a conspiracy.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i heard one epidemiologist say something to the effect of: in a pandemic, if you think you’re doing enough, you very likely aren’t
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:17 am i heard one epidemiologist say something to the effect of: in a pandemic, if you think you’re doing enough, you very likely aren’t
That’s one of the more frustrating elements of the political debate here. It simply is true that, if we’d all just masked indoors (and not acted out like toddlers against mask rules/guidance), we probably would have been able to avoid 80% of the much more disruptive stuff.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Feral wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:05 am I realize you already know everything when it comes to infectious diseases, Randy, but the first rule of pandemics, and especially ones that are previously unknown and transmitted respiratorily, is to overdo everything initially, because you can always back off later if possible, once more is known. Otherwise, by not doing so, the penalty for failure can be extremely dire.

That rule is applicable from everything PowerPoint to pandemics. It’s easier to take it out than put in later. (One exception is salting food)

I’m going to use that punchline often. We’re all living with the consequences of said stupidity
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:17 am i heard one epidemiologist say something to the effect of: in a pandemic, if you think you’re doing enough, you very likely aren’t
Exactly!

As previously stated, the consequence of not doing everything possible until you learn you don't need to, is potentially catastrophically dire. But, then again,

"her emails,

and,

Hunter's laptop".
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

zsn wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:23 am

That rule is applicable from everything PowerPoint to pandemics. It’s easier to take it out than put in later. (One exception is salting food)

I’m going to use that punchline often. We’re all living with the consequences of said stupidity
I'm flattered.
Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

But Republicans want the CDC dismantled?!?! Imagine how many things like this would get built if they didn't exist.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote:"Vaccine efficacy targeted at libs? I smell a conspiracy."
Ha, I hadn't thought of that angle!
Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:20 am The cdc is worried about 1 thing and 1 thing only. Controlling diseases. That's fine.

Well, SOME of the people still have lives to live...

How many millions more would have died had they not taken the actions they took? Yes, there were some overreactions that, after more time learning about the virus were determined to be unnecessary. But good grief. Millions more would be dead.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:21 am
That’s one of the more frustrating elements of the political debate here. It simply is true that, if we’d all just masked indoors (and not acted out like toddlers against mask rules/guidance), we probably would have been able to avoid 80% of the much more disruptive stuff.
Agreed. The most aggressive, disruptive policies were only enacted because too many people ignored the less restrictive policies.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i almost posted something similar, 2coach

where would we be without any of the mitigation measures?

would we have been better, or worse off?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:39 am i almost posted something similar, 2coach

where would we be without any of the mitigation measures?

would we have been better, or worse off?
Unquestionably worse off. Then it would just been tens of millions of people complaining that the government (that they don't want intervening in their lives) didn't do enough to protect them and doesn't care about the plight of the everyday American.