G’Day Mate Johnny Furphy

Kansas Basketball.
DeletedUser

Re: G’Day Mate Johnny Furphy

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:38 am Ochai had a stretch pretty early once he Wally Pipped Quentin Whiney Grimes where he was scoring 20+ and getting 7-10 rebounds.

I kinda remember some NBA talk then.
He stayed 3 more years and won us a Natty.
And look how much better he got during that time.

....and he still is having trouble getting run in the league.

It's so much harder than these young players think. They think if they are ranked top 40 in HS that means "guaranteed NBA" and that's just not realistic.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:28 am
pdub wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:38 am Ochai had a stretch pretty early once he Wally Pipped Quentin Whiney Grimes where he was scoring 20+ and getting 7-10 rebounds.

It's so much harder than these young players think. They think if they are ranked top 40 in HS that means "guaranteed NBA" and that's just not realistic.
Yep. It’s ok to develop.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:40 am
DeletedUser wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:28 am

Yep. It’s ok to develop.
Especially now that you can get a free degree and make a million plus dollars during your time in college.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Soo back to Johnny and Gradey…

What did Gradey do last year that got him lotto money, that Johnny isn’t doing now?

At least since starting
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Illy said it already.
Dick wasn't good on defense but he wasn't getting absolutely torched.
Dick's release was instant NBA scout drool good - it came fast and out of nowhere and he could get it off with anyone on him - Furphy's been hitting open 3's.
Dick could get to the basket quite a bit better as well.

Just watch some of these highlights.
Gradey is crossing up people for just a tiny bit of space and then launching 3's.
He's getting the ball at the top of the key and beating one or two guys off the dribble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uForJ5uAFrg
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:52 am Soo back to Johnny and Gradey…

What did Gradey do last year that got him lotto money, that Johnny isn’t doing now?

At least since starting
Can't just scout the box score.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:56 am Illy said it already.
Dick's release was instant NBA scout drool good - it came fast and out of nowhere and he could get it off with anyone on him - Furphy's been hitting open 3's.
Yep. Gradey's action pretty much means is FLOOR is "useful, ten-year NBA player." Furphy's floor is "doesn't play a minute."
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Furphy's first 3 was wide open thanks to Dajuan.
Furphy's second 3 was wide open thanks to Dickin$on.
Furphy's third 3 was wide open thanks to Dajuan.

Three of his buckets at the rim were passed to him right in his motion - he didn't have to beat anyone off the dribble ( thanks Dajuan, thanks McCullar ).

15 of his points were heavily attributed to good passing.
And he hit his free throws.

Please, God, don't go strawman here and say I don't think Furphy was any good last night or can't be a good player or can't play in the NBA.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:04 am Furphy's first 3 was wide open thanks to Dajuan.
Furphy's second 3 was wide open thanks to Dickin$on.
Furphy's third 3 was wide open thanks to Dajuan.

Three of his buckets at the rim were passed to him right in his motion - he didn't have to beat anyone off the dribble ( thanks Dajuan, thanks McCullar ).

Please, God, don't go strawman here and say I don't think Furphy was any good last night or can't be a good player or can't play in the NBA.
The better comparison, for a lot of reasons, is Svi. And I'm comfortable saying that Furphy is farther along than Svi was, at this point.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

pdub wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:56 am Illy said it already.

Just watch some of these highlights.
Gradey is crossing up people for just a tiny bit of space and then launching 3's.
He's getting the ball at the top of the key and beating one or two guys off the dribble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uForJ5uAFrg
I've only watched the first 3:25 of that, but God Damn, I had forgotten what a presence Dick had, even as a freshman. Compared to Furphy, Dick looks like a man.

Without looking it up... Didn't Furphy move his graduation from high school up a year, and he's young for a freshman?
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Yes. The Svi path is much more realistic.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yes.
Furphy is more like a sophomore year Svi at this point than a freshman year Dick.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think Furphy is the same age ( 19 ) as Dick was at KU.

Gradey Dick KU sophomore would have burned buildings to the ground from his heaters.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Gradey would pull up in your face.

Gradey would cross you, and then pull up in your face.

Gradey would have alley oops thrown to him regularly in drawn up plays.

Gradey was a lot better last year than Furphy is this year. Gradey would probably be averaging close to 20 this year instead of McCullar.

Fucking Gradey. Can you imagine the lineup with him as the 5th starter. He'd benefit so much from HD and the new and improved KM and Kj.
Last edited by DeletedUser on Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:11 am Yes.
Furphy is more like a sophomore year Svi at this point than a freshman year Dick.
I also, personally, see better instincts in Furphy than I did with Svi. Furphy has a little of CB's nose for being in the right place at the right time - but he's (at present anyway) not nearly as physically developed as CB was at the same age.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:14 am Gradey would pull up in your face.

Gradey was a lot better last year than Furphy is this year. Gradey would probably be averaging close to 20 this year instead of McCullar.
This.
Though I don't think Gradey Dick being good would have prevented McCullar's huge improvement - he just wouldn't have as many shot opps.

Our team would be Kenpom no. 1 instead of 19.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:12 am I think Furphy is the same age ( 19 ) as Dick was at KU.

Gradey Dick KU sophomore would have burned buildings to the ground from his heaters.
40-0 would have been in play. Hunter averaging 25+ would have been in play.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:15 am
I also, personally, see better instincts in Furphy than I did with Svi. Furphy has a little of CB's nose for being in the right place at the right time - but he's (at present anyway) not nearly as physically developed as CB was at the same age.
And if I remember right, Svi was terrifying ( in a bad way ) with the ball in his hands the first couple years - i'm not nervous at all ( knock on wood ) when the ball is temporarily in Furphy's hands and he's dribbling.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:15 am
DeletedUser wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:14 am Gradey would pull up in your face.

This.
Though I don't think Gradey Dick being good would have prevented McCullar's huge improvement - he just wouldn't have as many shot opps.

Our team would be Kenpom no. 1 instead of 19.
For sure.

McCullar would still be in the 15-18 range I bet. Kj and DH would be lower though probably because DH would NEVER need to shoot with those 4 around him.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:17 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:15 am
And if I remember right, Svi was terrifying ( in a bad way ) with the ball in his hands the first couple years - i'm not nervous at all ( knock on wood ) when the ball is temporarily in Furphy's hands and he's dribbling.
Yeah - I'd have to go back and do the math, but I think Furphy might be more than a full year older (apples-apples) than Svi?