G’Day Mate Johnny Furphy

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: G’Day Mate Johnny Furphy

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:16 am
pdub wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:12 am I think Furphy is the same age ( 19 ) as Dick was at KU.

Gradey Dick KU sophomore would have burned buildings to the ground from his heaters.
40-0 would have been in play. Hunter averaging 25+ would have been in play.
I think his numbers would have remained the same - just now shooting 66% instead of just 60% - because Dick is taking probably 2 shots away from him and 3 shots away from McCullar.

Dick would be shooting 14 shots a night.

Poor KJ.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:17 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:15 am
pdub wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:11 am Yes.
Furphy is more like a sophomore year Svi at this point than a freshman year Dick.
I also, personally, see better instincts in Furphy than I did with Svi. Furphy has a little of CB's nose for being in the right place at the right time - but he's (at present anyway) not nearly as physically developed as CB was at the same age.
And if I remember right, Svi was terrifying ( in a bad way ) with the ball in his hands the first couple years - i'm not nervous at all ( knock on wood ) when the ball is temporarily in Furphy's hands and he's dribbling.
Yes. It's not that Svi was uncoordinated with the ball necessarily, but I remember him being totally reckless at first.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:19 am
pdub wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:12 am I think Furphy is the same age ( 19 ) as Dick was at KU.

Gradey Dick KU sophomore would have burned buildings to the ground from his heaters.
I think his numbers would have remained the same - just now shooting 66% instead of just 60% - because Dick is taking probably 2 shots away from him and 3 shots away from McCullar.

Yeah, who knows, and that's not intended to pick a fight. Just saying there would be no zones, and no collapsing on Hunter.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:22 am
pdub wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:19 am

Yeah, who knows, and that's not intended to pick a fight. Just saying there would be no zones, and no collapsing on Hunter.
I think it's possible HD and KM would only benefit. Maybe slightly less points, but they could easily come from Kj and DH instead...but everyone would have more assists.

Actually, nevermind. We'd fucking blow so many teams out that all of the current guys would be playing 3-5 less minutes per game.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yea, for me, shots gotta go somewhere, and you'd have to have the ball in Gradey's hands.
Dajuan could average 5 points a game and 9 assists.
Ousdahl would say he's the worst point guard since Tyronne Appleton.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Wonder if Gradey wishes he'd have stayed? It can't be that fun sitting on the bench and then getting abused when you actually get in.

Compared to BMOC in Lawrence AND playing in AFH as the undisputed #1 team in the country.

I think fun wise AND getting better wise Gradey fucked up by leaving early. He wouldn't have hurt his stock no matter what.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think Gradey would have been a lock in the top 10 and possibly even sneak into the top 5.
8th on the NBA salary scale would have gotten him 23 million basically guaranteed in the first 4 years.
14th ( where he was drafted ) will get him 17 million in the first 4.

Yes, you are loosing a year of earnings, but that year wouldn't make up for a 6 million dollar difference.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Or, Gradey comes back and heaven forbid gets hurt and struggles to sign even Raisin’ Canes endorsements again

He absolutely made the right choice by leaving. Dude’s already worth 8 figures!

Or, if you wanna argue that not everything should be about money, can we at least take it to the pols bored please, they/them is waiting for you.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And I think GM Self’s grade for this season’s roster ain’t great, but managing to plug in Furphy after loosing Dick is a strong point, almost as strong as landing Hunter in the portal
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Not everything should be about money.
But the above example shows it could not be about the money and still later down the line, be about more money.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

johnny furphy is more likely to enter the portal this spring. than the draft.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

But yea, maybe Gradey’s shot really was that much further along than Johnny’s.

Regarding that CB-comparison feel for the game, who’s better at this point?

And is it just me or does Johnny do a good job of hauling ass down the court on a fast break?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:50 am Or, Gradey comes back and heaven forbid gets hurt and struggles to sign even Raisin’ Canes endorsements again
Hurt like how? An ACL tear means 8months of rehab/get right, back to KU for another million or so, and then lotto pick.

Sure, he could get hit by a car crossing mass street and never walk again, but he could die in Toronto too....and your contract isn't fully guaranteed and they don't pay you in advance.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:51 am And I think GM Self’s grade for this season’s roster ain’t great, but managing to plug in Furphy after loosing Dick is a strong point, almost as strong as landing Hunter in the portal
Hunter was the #1 get of the off season. Not even close. 20 and 10. And some say he does it without really even giving a fuck (i disagree, i see his effort, passion and ability to mesh with teammates).

Who are the 1st team AAs going to be? HD KM + the weird giant from Purdue and 2 others.

HD was easily the biggest get of 2023/2024 CBB season. Transfer or incoming freshman.

And looking back KM was a bigger deal last year than we even knew because of what he is doing THIS year.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

HD was a huge get.
We'd be worse without him.
I'd rather not have him on the team.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

we might not be in the top 25. if not for hd.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Dumb.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

pdub wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:42 am I think Gradey would have been a lock in the top 10 and possibly even sneak into the top 5.
8th on the NBA salary scale would have gotten him 23 million basically guaranteed in the first 4 years.

Yes, you are loosing a year of earnings, but that year wouldn't make up for a 6 million dollar difference.
13th
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:42 am I think Gradey would have been a lock in the top 10 and possibly even sneak into the top 5.

Maybe. It is an insanely weak NBA Draft this year.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Without both of KM and HD we wouldn't be top 25.

With only 1 of them we would he significantly worse, but still top 25.

And with them both, we have the best offensive duo in the nation and are firmly a top 10 team. The team best suited to win the NC (in my opinion).