G’Day Mate Johnny Furphy

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: G’Day Mate Johnny Furphy

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:12 am If Furphy goes pro after this season I will not mention once or post about how much I hate NIL/the new NCAA for the months of June, July and August.

If Furphy does not go pro after this season you cannot mention once or post about wars in Ukraine/Israel for the months of June, July and August.
And here I thought pols talk on the hoops bored was not allowed.

Fwiw, and since no one has noticed so I apparently gotta say it out loud, I’ve really tried to bite my tongue about that shit around here any more.

But, if I can at least make a joke about it:

June, July, and August…when has the US ever been involved in wars that lasted that long?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:21 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:04 am He reminds me so much of Dick.

And while Dick is not dominating as an nba rookie, he was still good enough to go lotto.

Defense and muscle are things one can improve. Size and shooting and running like a kangaroo are things that scouts notice.
You're always thinking about Dick.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

For real tho, anyone care to compare and contrast the games of Ace and Gary?

I mean, uh, Johnny and Gradey?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Furphy us draftable already based off his height, athleticism, and shooting. Those are draftable skills

But my guess is he plays 2 seasons here. He obviously needs to get stronger and develop
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

randylahey wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:47 am Furphy us draftable already based off his height, athleticism, and shooting. Those are draftable skills

But my guess is he plays 2 seasons here. He obviously needs to get stronger and develop
^^^

No > 2 years at KU.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:47 am Furphy us draftable already based off his height, athleticism, and shooting. Those are draftable skills

He is getting obliterated on defense. You couldn't keep him in a game long enough for him to do anything at the NBA level right now. He needs at least one more year.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

twocoach wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:54 am

He is getting obliterated on defense. You couldn't keep him in a game long enough for him to do anything at the NBA level right now. He needs at least one more year.
Self was fucking loooooosing it.
But Furphy was just too good on the other end, especially when Dickin$on is in foul trouble and McCullar is cold as ice.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

He's still not used to rotations going counterclockwise here. It'll come.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

lol

For real tho, one huge thing working in favor of another year of Furphy at KU, is a far NIL deal
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:10 am

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:20 am lol

For real tho, one huge thing working in favor of another year of Furphy at KU, is a far NIL deal
I am a huge proponent of NIL. I think it is, besides being the right thing to do, absolutely going to keep kids in school longer.

That said, I think Furphy would be a stone-cold lock to return next year even if NIL did not exist.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Ochai had a stretch pretty early once he Wally Pipped Quentin Whiney Grimes where he was scoring 20+ and getting 7-10 rebounds.

I kinda remember some NBA talk then.
He stayed 3 more years and won us a Natty.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

pdub wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:38 am Ochai had a stretch pretty early once he Wally Pipped Quentin Whiney Grimes where he was scoring 20+ and getting 7-10 rebounds.

This is a good point.

There are actually quite a few similarities between those 2
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Furphy might get drafted, but wouldn’t last a minute in the league right now…he’d languish in the D-league like so many others
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Dude needs to learn how to move his feet and say in front of the his man. Other than that, fair dinkum.
Defense. Rebounds.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:48 am Furphy might get drafted, but wouldn’t last a minute in the league right now…he’d languish in the D-league like so many others
As well all know, being draftable and being ready for the league are 2 completely different things
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

His rents both competed in sports at a high level.
I'm willing to bet they are advising him to be grounded and go professional only when ready.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:10 am

Yeah, he will learn and the extra minutes and the associated film work tied to it postgame will get him there quicker. He's doing enough positive on offense that Self seems willing to deal with it. He can see he isn't going to what he's looking for out of Timberlake and Elmarko this season. Furphy will figure it out well enough. Self and the staff will get him there.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:38 am Ochai had a stretch pretty early once he Wally Pipped Quentin Whiney Grimes where he was scoring 20+ and getting 7-10 rebounds.

Agreed. The "some NBA talk" is mostly ding dongs on social media and not actual people that matter. Any moron can create a mock draft.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

This.

It's why Gradey can't even get in games most nights. And Gradey was better at defense than Furphy is.

I also think Gradey has more bounce than Furphy. And was a better shooter. Quicker release. Furphy nails open 3s. Gradey didn't have to be all that open tbh.